Clutch Plates Query

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI members,
All the tests to check a "healthy" clutch passed by my car but a screeching noise is comming from under the bonnat. The noise goes off When i press the clutch pedal. Dose it means the life of clutch plates is over.
Please Help
Thanks In Advance

Hi TAI members,
All the tests to check a "healthy" clutch passed by my car but a screeching noise is comming from under the bonnat. The noise goes off When i press the clutch pedal. Dose it means the life of clutch plates is over.
Please Help
Thanks In Advance
How much has your car clocked till now, and which car you own?

Might be the issue with the belts connected to engine.

Get the belts changed under the hood.

Thread Starter #5
@allhyundaicars
acceleration is perfectly normal, pickup and everything is as it was. Everything is normal except the noise.
@mukeshus
mine is a IndigoCS LS-TDI-2008, 94K on odo.
Changed only the timing belt @70K, i will check the other belts tomorrow.
BTW spoke to TATA ASA on phone today, he suspect the baring in garebox or the clutch plates might be the culprit.
Time to repair:4 hours approx.
Cost of plates :3000/-
cost of baring :500/-

please input your suggestions guys

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
well you know if clutch plate is damaged then the acceleration of the car is also affected.

i got the full clutch work done from the service center because local mechanics were charging similar amount.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...undai-trio-santro-i10-verna-8.html#post206503

my clutch plate was fine , pickup was fine , but if you are getting the full clutch work done then i will also say to change all the required things or else one damaged part will damage the new parts as well. i know you will have to spend extra.

also get a quote from local mechanics.

Thread Starter #7
thanks a lot allhyundaicars
am following your threads from quite sometime now.
i went thro this post earlier also and will take a closer look at it again to get some more info.
thanks once again.
ok i'll consult a local mechanic tomorrow.

@Rahul,

Sorry to hijacking your thread. I have only one question regarding my 06 esteem Clutch.

@allhyundaicars,

My 2006 esteem lxi completed 57.5 K now in petrol only.In the recent trips i really felt the pick up has dropped drastically.Even in the plain NH with four medium people on board with A/c, car really struggles to reach 70 Km/hr mark also it getting difficult to move the car to reverse from stand still.when we try to move the car with two people itself to reverse or front or in a slight incline, engine cant take the load and gets off.
is this is due to clutch wear? How can we check the clutch health?.Engine oil has changed 2K Km (3 months) before. Air filter has cleaned in 55 K not in good condition. is it AF also need to change? kindly suggest what we need to do

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
there can be many reason for the pickup to reduce. i discussed the pick up point because he had to be sure of the clutch plates.

do you face any problem while changing gears ? do you feel the clutch pedal is hard when you depress it ?

Have a joint test drive with the driver of the dealership, and do ask him whether it is a belt that needs change as the life of belt is usually 50,000-60,000 kms.
If there is no drop in pickup, or if your engine is raising then you must suspect for defect in clutch.

As this is a screeching noise and that stops after driving for few metres, i suspect it to be fault with belt.

What if there is no fault with your clutch, if they open and try to repair it and mess with it problem may occur soon.

The first sign can be a judder, but not always as a fried flywheel can also cause the same. Pickup issue is a major sign as the clutch plate is directly connected to the shaft. Hope reading this helps HowStuffWorks "Fly Wheels, Clutch Plates and Friction"
@Fusion- Thanks for the help.I read that.As you mentioned My car showing vibration when start to move in 1st gear and also we try to accelerate in 2nd gear. to avoid this I am slightly using the clutch.There is a small hump in my home entrance. When i take reverse, i really need to raise the car using clutch to avoid stalling. If not car will not raise and it stalls.

there can be many reason for the pickup to reduce. i discussed the pick up point because he had to be sure of the clutch plates.

do you face any problem while changing gears ? do you feel the clutch pedal is hard when you depress it ?
Clutch pedal is not hard. Yes i am facing some problems to change gears. When i try to downshift from 5th to 3rd, I feel slight tight to find neutral.Except this performance and mild mileage drop, car is fine.Is this purely a clutch failure?is there anything else to check to confirm clutch failure?I feel my 1300cc 85 Bhp car have less pick up than some 1000 cc/800 cc hatch backs. It was not like that earlier

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
@Rahul,

Sorry to hijacking your thread. I have only one question regarding my 06 esteem Clutch.
ohh dont be sorry, its not an ownership thread. Anything related to clutch can be posted in this thread so that one can find this thread dedicated to only clutch-realted queries.

@Rahul,

@allhyundaicars,

My 2006 esteem lxi completed 57.5 K now in petrol only.In the recent trips i really felt the pick up has dropped drastically.Even in the plain NH with four medium people on board with A/c, car really struggles to reach 70 Km/hr mark also it getting difficult to move the car to reverse from stand still.when we try to move the car with two people itself to reverse or front or in a slight incline, engine cant take the load and gets off.
is this is due to clutch wear? How can we check the clutch health?.Engine oil has changed 2K Km (3 months) before. Air filter has cleaned in 55 K not in good condition. is it AF also need to change? kindly suggest what we need to do
@Reelesh In esteem the clutch plate needs an overhaul once anywhere between 50000 to 65000 Kilometers depending on driving conditions, single handed driving etc. One sign of clutch wear and tear is when you leave the clutch,the vehicle moves only after 60-80% of clutch is released, pick up also drops considerably

I have done 49000 on the ODO im facing similar problems mainly because of different driving styles of my brother, dad & me

I believe clutch plate set MGP (said by mechanic) is around 2800/- and labour is 800/-

Hope it helps !

Thanks Rahul. I too thought the same.

@ RPm-

This is what the answer i was waiting for. I too think it is the clutch wear.

1. My car reached 57.5K. Matching the KM interval you told.
2. vehicle moves only after 80-90% of clutch is released
3. pick up droped considerably
4. car jerks when 80-90% of clutch is released in 1st & 2 gear.

Now the question is can we change it outside or ASS?
My local mechanic told about clutch plate set by a company named CK.Did you hear about it? How is that?Or use only MGP part?

Top Bottom