ABS - Discussions and Solutions

Thread Starter #1
Hello Members, let us start giving our views about ABS, its working, its worth and many technical things which we wanted to know.

ABS- Stands for Anti-Lock Brake System.

Well the purpose of the ABS is mainly to avoid the wheels getting jammed and controlling when you make an emergency stop to avoid collision on the oncoming object.It has proved its worth many times .

When the ABS was introduced, it was seen only in premium cars, but now as the technology has evolved drastically, we see this system installed in sub 5 Lakh car too(Wagon-R,Estilo etc). Not to mention, many of the commercial vehicles too have ABS system (Like Volvo, MB, Tata Prima etc.)

ABS has been made mandatory in most developed countries concerning to safety which is good.

In my opinion, i personally do not prefer ABS as i do not see too much of safety being offered, but as a typical Indian, is it coming in that model? okay Let it be.[;)]

Well i just gave my knowledge on ABS, how about our Gurus, educating us more on the importance of ABS?

Last edited:
ABS in my view is very good for conditioned tracks .

For public roads , either it isn't fully matured to be considered as must have or else it is a lame excuse for ignorant .

Excuse me for bringing another safety topic i.e. about Air Bag. Is it true after any deep impact we need to cut the inflated airbag chute material. I mean to say that Air Bag is for single use only if yes then what will be the cost of repairing or putting new airbag chute.

Excuse me for bringing another safety topic i.e. about Air Bag. Is it true after any deep impact we need to cut the inflated airbag chute material. I mean to say that Air Bag is for single use only if yes then what will be the cost of repairing or putting new airbag chute.
Around Rs. 25-35000 (just driver side) which may drift up according to the sensors and type of impact.

Last edited:
Oh My God, it is an expensive affair. Can we claim insurance on this?

Mods: Please delete my post if it's injustice to current thread.

Oh My God, it is an expensive affair. Can we claim insurance on this?

Mods: Please delete my post if it's injustice to current thread.
It should be confirmed with Insurance company as what all they have in offer.

yes it is bit of injustice to post Airbag query here as title reads something else. you should be courteous enough to search the respective thread for the subject ,else just imagine a new visitor searches for ABS thread and he finds details of Airbag failure and insurance, which would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
For public roads , either it isn't fully matured to be considered as must have or else it is a lame excuse for ignorant .
Any reason for the cause? As for me the ABS is a must have feature. Consider going at 100 Kmph and suddenly you have to apply brakes and at the same time change the direction of the car (this actively happens in India with villagers and their cattle making a shetler of their own on roads!).

I used to think always that ABS is a extra feature, but after reading so many reviews, felt that ABS is a good safety option, but

I personally feel that the present disk brakes in most of the brands are really good enough if we drive bit carefully and ABS may be good in monsoon season to avoid slipping on the road. Most of the people think today that since their car is equipped with ABS, so they can go any speeds anywhere and still apply the brake and they are safe, this kind of driving attitude is dangerous where some times even ABS cannot save a fatal accident.

So one way ABS is good as a safety feature and one way it is bad when a person thinks to drive rash and over speed !![:)]

I used to think always that ABS is a extra feature, but after reading so many reviews, felt that ABS is a good safety option, but

I personally feel that the present disk brakes in most of the brands are really good enough if we drive bit carefully and ABS may be good in monsoon season to avoid slipping on the road. Most of the people think today that since their car is equipped with ABS, so they can go any speeds anywhere and still apply the brake and they are safe, this kind of driving attitude is dangerous where some times even ABS cannot save a fatal accident.

So one way ABS is good as a safety feature and one way it is bad when a person thinks to drive rash and over speed !![:)]
When person thinks to drive rash and over speed, then it is person's mistake, not ABS. After going through lotz of posts and videos. I have bit mixed feeling about ABS. Yes it helps us in steer while applying full brakes, but also the points raised by Jayadev in other thread are always roaming around in my mind about how ABS can fail in flowing water. Bit confused. [confused]

This is what we see in most add's/brochure's.

Can someone enlighten on this?
Car on the top (has ABS) brakes and is able to steer clear of the cone (red dot) and steer back on course.

Car below does not have ABS (cannot steer as wheel is locked) and hits the cone.

This is what we see in most add's/brochure's.

Can someone enlighten on this?
As you can see when the brakes are applied in a ABS vehicle you can steer and change the direction of your car without loosing much control. While in a car with no-ABS and brakes slammed to full the car will not respond to the steering inputs and keep on going in a straight-line (also might get out of control).

As you can see when the brakes are applied in a ABS vehicle you can steer and change the direction of your car without loosing much control. While in a car with no-ABS and brakes slammed to full the car will not respond to the steering inputs and keep on going in a straight-line (also might get out of control).
This can happen only or wet surfaces, or any surface?

Few days back, i was having a highway ride at speeds 80-90. Suddenly, a car in front of me applied brakes, and to avoid collision, I applied brakes with huge force and made a narrow escape. Has ABS come into role here?

Always had this question in mind, how sure is that ABS is working on the car? I mean is there a testing mechanism or wait till the "D" day to confirm?
Any light plz?

Top Bottom