New Volkswagen Polo (15” Tyres) Comes with 14” Spare Tyre

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guyz,
I was planning to buy a new Vw Polo 1.2 Petrol comfortline as i got my eyes on a major issue related to its spare tyre.

They are providing 15" tyres(set of 4) as a standard fit of dimensions 185/60 R15 with a 14" spare tyre of dimensions 175/70 R14. Now, as you can see is the spare tyre is of no match with the set of other tyres. Let say you go for a long run and you've got to replace a tyre so what you literally do is you will replace one of your 15 inch tyres with your spare tyre which of no choice is of 14" inch. So now you will be driving a car whose three tyres will be 15" and remaining one of 14". What technically i got here is if you will see its aspect ratio(of 15" tyre) you will find that it is 60(10 less than of a 14" tyre i.e, 70).

It can be inferred that as the 15" tyre has a sectional width or tyre width of 185 mm which is 10 mm more than of a 14" tyre.( 185/60R15 vs 175/70R14). It is oblivious that the tyre height is same of both the tyres and what is affecting the aspect ratio(= tyre height/tyre width that here is 60 and 70) here is the extra 10mm width of the 15" tyre. What my point here is that the total diameter ( rim and tyre sidewall) of the 15" tyre is much more than the 14" spare tyre but because the diameter has changed in a big way, the entire tyre circumference has also been changed, rendering the speedometer inaccurate.In serious circumstances, it will cause uneven wear and tear for the tyre also while turning esp in mountainous regions may be a serious threat to passengers.

Any advice please.

Re: The new VW POLO 1.2 Petrol comfortline 15" tyres with a 14" inch spare tyre issue

go to the nearest puncture wala and get it repaired - as advised by vw ass. spare tyre not intended for long runs according to them.

Thread Starter #3
Re: New Volkswagen Polo (15” Tyres) Comes with 14” Spare Tyre

Agreed !! What a true solution i didn't even think of it.. thanks

I have mailed the same to Vw customer care 2 days from now but they are not able to reply with a suitable solution..[glasses]

Last edited by a moderator:
according to vw running on the spare tyre even if its 15" will alter the alignmet as its tread will be more when compared to the other 4 tyres. i too was a bit worried when i planned a long run of about 6000kms in 2 weeks and consulted with the vw dealer at calicut. and i couldn't get an alloy of same design and bolt numbers from out side. so stuck with the 14incher spare. luckily i didn't have a puncture.

Top Bottom