Buckle Up: Seat Belts Are Life Saviour

Thread Starter #1
Was wondering after Lamo accident in Delhi in the wee hours in which irresponsible and reckless driver lost (no offense meant to diseased) life and paid ultimate penalty for driving in the range of 150-200kms.[surprise]

He was throuwn out of car due to impact and died, had he been wearing old, humble seatbelt, he could have been safe.

My Point:

1. Why don't we follow basic rule of safety which will save life in case of eventuality. Every car comes with seatbelt. [frustration]

2. How many of us buckle up the moment we sit in car

3. How many of search for seat belt in mid of driving when we spot traffic cop at traffic intersection.

4. ABS, EDB, traction controll, are costly but simple seat belt can save if accident is below 60 km/h.

Yesterday lady lost life as irresponsible Dezire drivers banged Honda city from behind with speed of 150 or so on August Kranti Marg, New Delhi. [anger]In this case I don't know what safety feature I need to talk but barring such horrific incidences, we need to behave responsibly on roads, care for safety of fellow road users including pedestrians.

It is high time we take road manners seriously at our end without blaming govt. or pedestrians. City roads are not meant for racing anywhere in the world, so why bash Indian road conditions, users and govt.

Road is as safe as we, as an individuals follow safety norms (including traffic rules)

Guys looking for some feedbacks to make our roads safe

Re: Buckle up: Seat belt life saviour

I am wondering that Lambo owner had buckled up.

No one has thought in this way.

If the seat belt holder on the right doors frame has taken a beating, then how it would have saved him.

As per the damage is on the right side, where the doors frame holding the seat belt has been ripped off.

So he has been thrown out of the car.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Buckle up: Seat belt life saviour

As per the police report and car pictures taken after accident by people at the police station suggests otherwise, he wasn't buckled up. Buckle would have remained in place even in case of ripped B pillar which houses the one end of seat belt.

Lemo driver was destined to kill some one or him self due to the speed. I have no sympathy to irrant, irresponsible drivers. [anger]

My point is loud and clear, seat belt is there even in Nano. With same driving in general and within city range, seat belt will avert fatalities and necessarily one does not need to buy a car with all safety features in order to travel safely, however I am not in favour of current market practice of selling only top variant with safety features and govt' have failed in making safety features as standard (as in case with Europe/America).[frustration]

Lets create awareness about the importance of basic safety measures which should be ingrained in our behaviour without getting into class battle or blaming roads, fellow users or govt for not providing roads which are not good for super cars or super cars are made to be driven fast.
Well in the world no city will allow car to be driven at 150-200 km/h.

Kindly contribute in awareness campaign and value life

brandoo this is a good initiative to start this thread.
seat belts are the biggest life saver in a car, if the seat belts aren't worn theres no use of the air bags as injuries will be more, but then again people think, i have paid so much, my car has all the latest tech in safety etc so no issue if i speed, this was what one of my friends said, i gave up trying to make him understand.
the thing is driving schools just teach the students to drive from point a-b, the same happened to me 5years back the trainer never made us use brakes only when you need to stop the car completely otherwise use engine braking, i on the other hand drove another way. then for the rto test we just had to move the car by 20 meters to pass.
also another thing if you notice most never keep their rear views open or use it or the indicators while lane changing and a lot of drivers just zig zag especially bikers who zoom by and stun some driver for a bit.

Thread Starter #5
I remember when I joined driving school, i got one of the good instructor. He told me more than 1000 times during my training, not to drive more than 30-40, not beyond 3rd gear, not to use break, slow down when car in front apply break.

Now I understand the logic and merit in his statements.
Once he told me, "think everyone else is fool and drive", I believe in the same and drive with this conviction.

Having said this, I always use turn indicator, keep car in 1st lane when I have to take right turn or left when have to turn left so that I don't obstruct when everyone is trying to take/fly after green signal.
Seat belt is must for those who ride with me. I have driven on highways and insisted all the occupants to buckle up.
Seat belt give feeling of safety and responsibility.

its become a habit for me to buckle up before i fire the engine up and also make occupants wear seat belts.
my dad told me the same what your driving instructor told you also told me that never think you know a lot about driving, most mistakes happen when you are speeding leaving less time to react.
whenever i see a car coming near or into my lane i leave my foot of the gas and if I'm nearing fast i tap the brakes, my dads thought me how to use the brakes and not make people know you have used them says this also keeps you safe.
we guys have never met with a major accident till date, just my dad has once over an oil spill overturned the car and had a slight fracture on his spine.
there are some guys who from the right interaction get onto your road and instead of taking the right lane cross onto the left lane, or you find guys driving on the wrong side of the road just to take a short cut and avoid a u turn

Thread Starter #7
Touch wood Delhi, we don't see this on major arterial roads but yes in small cities or state capitals chaos is the rule, hence safety comes first be it basic yes most effective seat belt or modern equipment's.

I agree with you 100% no more than 200 %

Thread Starter #9
Let me share this incidence:
I took my wife Ph. D adviser for lunch with his wife. He is Prof at India's Best Univ and a very good international renowned scholar.

He was buckled up and on the way back home, at traffic signal he saw cop and suddenly he tried to buckle up but couldn't do so. clearly he was embarrassed.

This incidence highlight the mind set, we buckle up only to save fine and not for safety. Annually car manufacturers are selling more than 1.1 million cars every year, roads are getting clogged but better roads inters of speed leading to more fatalities. Its high time we start respecting life and take precautionary measures and not just to avoid fines

Way back in 2003 I removed seat belts from our 800[frustration] since none of my family members had the habit of buckling up and seat belt gave much rattle noise.

Year later, I met with an accident, almost totaled my Alto and came out of the car with negligible injuries only because of Seat belt. After this incident it became a regular practice for me and by brother to buckle before firing the engine.

The first thing I do after entering car is wearing my seat belt. I insist my wife to wear her seat belt always. Now it becomes a habit for her to wear it without me insisting her. But now I am going to insist people sitting on the rear too wear the seat belt after looking the pictures of Civic-Dzire accident.

Thread Starter #12
The first thing I do after entering car is wearing my seat belt. I insist my wife to wear her seat belt always. Now it becomes a habit for her to wear it without me insisting her. But now I am going to insist people sitting on the rear too wear the seat belt after looking the pictures of Civic-Dzire accident.

Great going by inculcating good habit[clap]

Every time i ask ppl to buckle up, i get to listen to vague and lame excuses like...
1> it's a short drive.why do u need seat belt!?
2>we hardly reach 30kmph speed, do u need seat belt at all?
3>damn! wearing this seatbelt suffocates me!
4>i'll wear the seatbelt when we enter main roads
5>i do not see a cop around, so, i wont wear it.

i simply have no words for such dumb replies. we indians *ALWAYS* learn the hard way.
i hope everyone of those who r against wearing seatbelt must go bang their face to the dashboard or windscreen and break their jaw/face. maybe then they will realise its importance.

Every time i ask ppl to buckle up, i get to listen to vague and lame excuses like...
1> it's a short drive.why do u need seat belt!?
2>we hardly reach 30kmph speed, do u need seat belt at all?
3>damn! wearing this seatbelt suffocates me!
4>i'll wear the seatbelt when we enter main roads
5>i do not see a cop around, so, i wont wear it.

i simply have no words for such dumb replies. we indians *ALWAYS* learn the hard way.
i hope everyone of those who r against wearing seatbelt must go bang their face to the dashboard or windscreen and break their jaw/face. maybe then they will realise its importance.

one of my friend earlier used to say the similar thing. We hardly reach at the speed of above 40 kmph then why to buckle up. I gave him a actual demo. Saw in my mirror that no one is benind & applied sudden brakes at speed of just 30 kmph & his head banged... He got to now that even at low speed the impact can happen. Then onwards he has started wearing the seat belts even he wants to move out his car from parking.

Top Bottom