Built-in Event Data Recorder on Cars in India?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I was flipping through the pages of Ford Fiesta’s manual and came to know about this: the car is equipped with a built-in data recorder which collects all the information in an event of a crash or accident (Somewhat like a Black Box). I found this very useful and interesting since I was wishing if our cars in India come equipped with something similar to a dash cam recording device about which Jalex told us some time ago (That’s very different though): http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ash-cams-their-role-road-mobile-security.html

Just wondering whether other cars too are equipped with such device in India? Since I think, it can be quite helpful at some occasions and play an important role in road safety. Quoting the words directly from the ownership manual:
Ford Fiesta Manual said:
Your vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder which is capable of collecting and storing data during a crash or near crash event. The recorded information may assist in the investigation of such an event. To access this information special equipment must be directly connected to the recording modules.
Ford has however also clarified...
Ford Fiesta Manual said:
Ford does not access event data recorder information without obtaining consent unless pursuant to a court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities or other third parties may seek access to information independent to Ford.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Airplanes have Flight Data Recorders(FDR) and a Cockpit Voice Recorder(CVR), while the former records the technical data about speed, altitude, pitch, roll etc etc the latter records the voices of everyone present in a cockpit and records just 30 mins voices prior to a crash and recycles everytime during an uneventful flights.Now this can be extended to cars as well, may be call it Cabin Voice Recorder. It will record the voices in cabin, was the guy drunk during the crash, were other co passengers provoking the driver to go fast? etc etc this same recorder can recycle itself every 30 mins.

Last edited:
I believe this will be very useful and things like this must be mandatory since the number of road accidents in India are amongst the highest in the world.

I believe this will be very useful and things like this must be mandatory since the number of road accidents in India are amongst the highest in the world.
Totally agree, the future must come soon and car manufacturers should think of it as an option

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
Airplanes have Flight Data Recorders(FDR) and a Cockpit Voice Recorder(CVR), while the former records the technical data about speed, altitude, pitch, roll etc etc the latter records the voices of everyone present in a cockpit and records just 30 mins voices prior to a crash and recycles everytime during an uneventful flights.Now this can be extended to cars as well, may be call it Cabin Voice Recorder. It will record the voices in cabin, was the guy drunk during the crash, were other co passengers provoking the driver to go fast? etc etc this same recorder can recycle itself every 30 mins.
Good post. You’re right there. I’m proud that Ford has installed this feature on their car. Has anyone else come across something similar to this on their car’s manual?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Event recorders sounds really good. I have read somewhere that car will not start if any one is drunken. How about that? This will really help reducing number of accidents here. [confused]

Yes Marun that thing which you are saying is true. I also don't remember which car exactly has that feature , i think some Volvo , not sure!

Let's not go OT bro.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team

Kenny T

Suspended
Recent reports show the increase in accidents involving vehicles. No matter how careful we are on the road, we cannot deny the fact that we might be involved in an unexpected tragedy out there. Event data recorder boxes capture information in an accident, also as general driving habits. The data can save lives, but it can also impinge upon privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom