How Do You Hold the Steering - One Hand or Two Hands?

Thread Starter #1
My trainer taught me to hold the steering with one hand only and never use the second hand.
But some how, when taking turns, I have to use my second hand, and I too feel that using two hands is problamatic, but as I am learning to drive, I cant have exact judgement of turn with just one hand.

I wonder how do others hold the steering ? one hand only, two hands, or occasionally two hands ?

Re: How do you hold the steering - one hand or two hands !!

My trainer taught me to hold the steering with one hand only and never use the second hand.
WTH?? ask your trainer to get his training done man. hold steering with 2 hands only!

@Sramanandi: Who was that trainer, who told you that.

Its General Knowledge that you will have to drive with 2 hands , initially you will have to manage gear shifts, only thing you will have to remember is that which gear you are in, in the initial days of learning.
Picturise the gear shifting drawing in your mind, and how you will have to downshift or upshift.

As you master driving, you can drive with single hand.

And your hands should be in 9'O clock & 3'O clock position, for best driving experience...

I agree with both comments. When you start driving you should have both your hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2. Once you get hold of driving and your left hand will invariably move out of steering, but even then while driving on highways or long runs, it is better to hold the steering with both hands as it gives you ease to maneuvre.

+1 to mukesh,

When i was a Learner, my Trainer also told to hold the steering in right hand & left hand on the Gear. Because of that we can know, in which gear we are at presently. once you gained experience with gears, you can take off your hands from gear.

My trainer told, the hands should be in 10.10'o clock position, so that we can easily view speedometer console & get a clear view of road as well.

When I started driving, my coach asked him to hold steering with both hands but with light gripe so that I do not turn the steering by mistake to left or right. Later, when I shown improvement he asked me to hold the steering either at 10 - 2 or 9 - 3 positions.

He asked me categorically that use left hand only to change gears and nothing else (aside AC, Stereo etc). He told me that with both hands, you will be able to maneuver the vehicle with ease and precisely (no over steer).

Since then I am practicing it.

All the best.

350Z

Core Team
Re: How Do You Hold the Steering - One Hand or Two Hands !!

Don't hold the steering wheel with single hand because it is risky and you may not be able to efficiently manoeuvre in case of an emergency (which is most expected on Indian roads). The correct position to hold the steering is 9 to 3 and 10 to 2 for cars with and without airbags respectively. Sometime ago we also had an interesting debate on this topic: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...603-correct-position-hold-steering-wheel.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

My trainer also taught me to hold the steering with 2 hands. but now I hold it with one hand only and other hand is mostly on Gear Knob. Only while taking turns or manoeuvring car in heavy traffic I use both hands. But that's my style of driving. You should always use both hands for better control.

No trainer ever told me that to hold steering with 1 hand or 2 hands, I basically started off with holding steering with my both hands & use my left hand for gear shift when needed

No trainer ever told me that to hold steering with 1 hand or 2 hands, I basically started off with holding steering with my both hands & use my left hand for gear shift when needed
[lol]Looks like a very different approach to me. (please don't mind)

For learners it is wise to use 2 hands.
Then depends on the vehicle and road condition. In rough roads and slow speed driving, it is better to use both hands.

My driving style is always steering on right hand and the left will be either on the gear shift rod or resting on the arm rest.

OT: I have seen a young lady with henna applied on her right hand managed to drive with only left hand[surprise] in Chennai traffic (near Tambaram) But her driving sense was very much matured and I could see no flaws.

When I am driving in city keep my left hand on gear and the other one on steering ,as the speed is less and every now then gear has to changed.
And when on highway both hand on the steering,no frequent changing gears.

Thread Starter #14
My trainer taught me to use just one hand, and dont hold it tight but use just palm when taking turns, so that the steering should move with just my palm.
And some time I feel, it is good in some situations, specially when taking U turns, if I use both hands, my hands gets locked :)

Whoever uses both hands, how do they manager when they have to move the steering one full round ?

Last edited:
My trainer taught me to use just one hand, and dont hold it tight use just palm when taking turns, so that the steering should move with just my palm.
I would say this is not a good practice. Although the steering shouldn't be held tight, it shouldn't be held loose either. Imagine what would happen if you encounter a crater at high speed! It would lead to the car going out of control.

And some time I feel, it is good in some situations, specially when taking U turns, if I use both hands, my hands gets locked :)
Hand locking is what must be learnt during the driving lessons.

Top Bottom