How to Drive a Car in which Bonnet is Not Visible from Inside?

Thread Starter #1
hi am new here. i want to know is it difficult to drive those cars in which bonnet is not visible??? how do you see distance of front car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: is it difficult to drive those cars in which bonett is not visibel???

Welcome slow driver! You have raised a pertinent question. The answer lies in experience and judgement.

To begin with in case you are driving a car which has a high windshield and non-visible bonnet, raise the height of the driving seat to reach a position from where you can see it.

If it is not possible, follow this simple rule while driving (initially) do not go so close to the car in front that you can not see its rear wheels from behind. Judge your drive accordingly.

What we need to see is Road , seeing a bonnet is of no use.
The dimensions of car is a mental picture picture while driving, same as you cannot see the passenger side of your ride while squeezing through narrow lanes but the mental calculations or image sorts it.

It is always a safe and best practice to maintain at least 5 meter distance behind the car you are following.

Welcome slow driver! You have raised a pertinent question. The answer lies in experience and judgement.

To begin with in case you are driving a car which has a high windshield and non-visible bonnet, raise the height of the driving seat to reach a position from where you can see it.

If it is not possible, follow this simple rule while driving (initially) do not go so close to the car in front that you can not see its rear wheels from behind. Judge your drive accordingly.
What we need to see is Road , seeing a bonnet is of no use.
The dimensions of car is a mental picture picture while driving, same as you cannot see the passenger side of your ride while squeezing through narrow lanes but the mental calculations or image sorts it.

It is always a safe and best practice to maintain at least 5 meter distance behind the car you are following.
Both the above posts are crisp and clear about the idea while driving in general and nothing to do whether or not you are able to see the bonnet. If you are new driver then maintain distance is the key. Once you are comfortable with it, I am sure bonnet idea would not cross your mind at all. Just because you started this thread, I am thinking whether I can actually the bonnet of my car or not[thinking].

Practice on open and less congested roads and tell yourself that nothing will happen if you maintain distance.

All the best

Welcome Slow Driver. Good name for now... [;)]

Thetraveller's advise seems the best for you for now. Even if you happen to move further, keep the Wipers (at rest) as your last limit. Once you see the wiper touching (Virtually) the vehicle or anything else which is in front, you should stop there. That would still be a safe distance.

Welcome abord slow driver.
Welcome to TAI. [cheers]

Don't worry this is the very first question every driver has when he begins driving the car. I bet with experience you yourself will get the answer.

To get the basics clear, Firstly as per RTO norms one should maintain a minimum distance of 5 foot from the vehicle in front of you to avoid accidents. (Trust me this i learnt from a cop when a driver bumped his vehicle on mine from behind)

Try adjusting the height of ur seat, if not posible place small pillow on the seat for better visibility.

Some people install small metallic pointers on the co-passengers side on the bumpers to judge while driving.

This cannot be answered specifically as it can be best answered only by practice and driving the car. Park your car in your garage and from the drivers seat view the objects near the car. This will help you getting a rough idea on how much is the safe distance that should be left from the co-passengers side for other vehicles.

I also faced this question when i began driving and got it answered by practicing and judgement.

Shorter people or ladies mostly felt this issue. If there is option to adjust seat height then its OK or just use pillow.

raise your height using pillows. But it ultimately boils down to judgement. Drive the car through heavy traffic 3~4 times and you will get a good estimate.

Shorter people or ladies mostly felt this issue. If there is option to adjust seat height then its OK or just use pillow.

His question is how to drive cars in which bonnet is not visible.

In small towns, especially in South India still Ambassadors and Premier Padminis(known as fiat) are running as private owned cars and people shifting to modern cars feel initially that it is difficult to drive without seeing bonnet.

In most modern cars (except SUV/MCV), you cannot see the bonnet.

As rightly pointed out by many TAI members here, judgement is the key and it comes from practice.

Also one can try some fthing like a lag rod in front of the bonnet (fixed in the front gril) as a temporary solution.

In small towns, especially in South India still Ambassadors and Premier Padminis(known as fiat) are running as private owned cars and people shifting to modern cars feel initially that it is difficult to drive without seeing bonnet.
Ok, shorter people feels the same in any car.

when ever i ride a new vehicle i will ask some one to stand in the front of the car just touching the front bumper, also at the left front corner of the vehicle just touching the bumper this will be enough for me to gauge the distance to the front bumper from the drivers seat.its experience, observing other drivers and judgement that make you a better driver.

when ever i ride a new vehicle i will ask some one to stand in the front of the car just touching the front bumper, also at the left front corner of the vehicle just touching the bumper this will be enough for me to gauge the distance to the front bumper from the drivers seat.its experience, observing other drivers and judgement that make you a better driver.
That is a very simple and innovative way to judge how much area does your car need. Something which I will use as well, as I also keep on using different cars frequently.

Only good thing, most of them are swift[glasses]

The best way at the begining is to keep your car at a distance you feel is safe, it can be 5', 10' 15'; do not even think of going an inch ahead than the safe distance on your mind.

Your own perception of a safe distance matters over all the regulations/thumb rules/guidelines.

hey buddy dont worry as everyone said you will get used to it after somedays of use but in starting remember to leave big gap with other objects!! [thumbsup]

Top Bottom