Not Wearing Helmet? You Won’t Get Petrol.

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
The title says it all. If you are a two-wheeler rider and not wearing the helmet – You won’t receive the Petrol at fuel bunks, claims Uttar Pradesh Government in their latest Road Safety promotion campaign. Read complete information below.

Farrukhabad (Uttar Pradesh), April 11 (IANS) In the first such road safety promotion initiative in Uttar Pradesh, two-wheeler riders of this district will be denied fuel at petrol vends if they are not wearing helmets. Following the directives of the newly appointed District Magistrate Rigzin Sampheal, the rule came into effect Monday in this district that has over 5,000 registered two-wheelers.

'The entire exercise is aimed to counter road accidents that turn fatal due to head injuries in the absence of helmets,' Sampheal told IANS. 'From now onwards, two-wheeler riders without a helmet would not be given fuel at petrol pumps. In a way, you can say helmets would act as passes for getting fuel for the vehicles,' he added. The novel rule has been imposed after consultations with petrol vend owners.

'Recently, I had called a meeting of petrol pump owners to apprise them about my plan. They assured me of extending full support in its execution,' said Sampheal. 'Not only this, a novel suggestion also came from the side of the petrol pumps owners, who said that they could give a rebate of around 25 paise to those two-wheeler riders who were wearing helmets,' he added.

A final decision regarding the rebate is yet to be taken by the petrol pump association in Farrukhabad, some 200 km from Lucknow. So what prompted Sampheal to adopt this novel road safety drive?

'It's been around one month since I took the charge here. During this short time, I came across several fatal accidents, involving government officials, students and others, in which the two-wheelers drivers were without any protective headgear.' 'I thought many lives could have been saved if only the riders were wearing helmets. It was then that I hit upon the idea of linking helmet with fuel,' he said. Several teams of transport officials, traffic police and district police officers have been constituted to implement the rule.

'Such a move to promote road safety has been taken for the first time in any district of this state,' Inspector Dinesh Kumar, who is in charge of traffic management in Farrukhabad, told IANS. Locals too hailed Sampheal for his initiative. 'We believe officials in other districts too will follow in his footsteps and promote safe driving,' said Rajiv Somvanshi, a retired school teacher. Mohanlal Gaur, who owns a cyber cafe here, said: 'With the new rule, the riders will have no option but to wear helmets.' (Source: Sify.com)
Drive Safe,
350Z

Really good move, but the safety of two wheeler drivers is in their hands only. Yesterday saw a person driving pulsar at 105kmph with the helmet on the petrol tank in Chennai By -pass road near porur [anger]

Very good move but how practically will this be implemented? The fuel pumps have to be very strict about this rule , even little leniency will not help!

Another thing i worry is these riders will wear helmet only while entering fuel pumps then , rest of the times remove it!

But i seriously hope this idea is followed throughout India!

AMG

Suspended
Look where the idea is implemented.

U.P. of all places.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO HOPE of it being a success. [frustration]

Really good move, but the safety of two wheeler drivers is in their hands only. Yesterday saw a person driving pulsar at 105kmph with the helmet on the petrol tank in Chennai By -pass road near porur [anger]
Well said auto_luver! Safety is mostly in the driver's hand only! Very rare cases are those where accidents occur due to surrounding environment!

Kepping the helmet on tank/elsewhere other than the head while driving is asking for trouble. think of the scenario if the helmet tends to slip and you try to catch it back at this speed. Sure, the person will wake up in the hospital if lucky!

Many companies in Pune are not allowing to park inside the company premises if you came without a helmet(The rider and pillion must wear helmets in order to enter). Looks like a good move, but should be followed strictly.

Top Bottom