How Does Banning Pillion in <100 CC Bike Help?

Thread Starter #1
How does banning pillion in below 100 cc bikes help prevent accidents? Can any one explain? Why does the Motor Vehicles Act have this clause at all?

Re: How does banning pillion in < 100 cc bike help?

Excellent question. I was totally puzzled when the news broke out. Equally puzzled to understand they quoted Motor Act. Understandably more puzzled when they wanted to reduce the Cc to 50. First news was that they were to ban pillion riders (manufacturers should remove the pillion seats) for new vehicles less than 100 cc.

No riding pillion on bikes less than 100cc - The Hindu

Then the Karnataka Government made a U-turn & said they will reduce the CC to 50 from 100. So no pillion seats for bikes less than 50cc.

100cc bikes: Norms on pillion seats likely to be relaxed - The Hindu

In any case, it sounds completely illogical. Only logic can be that the potholes are too big for the small bikes! I went through the Motor Act. It doesn't say anything in particular.

Last edited:

this is going to increase the no. of two-wheelers to almost double on the road (ideally case!), thereby increasing the chance of more accidents only. am also not sure how will this rule help?
without any study, they would just amend the rules!

For Banning pillion in < 100 CC bike reasons might be:

1. To reduce the payload weight. Nowadays people with 100 or < 100 cc bike carry many bags and heavy items around them from one place to other which is most common in India especially in villages. And 3 members riding in one bike policy is mainly followed with the people having 100 cc bike than that of any other bike.

2. To increase the number of sales of the > 100 cc Bike category.
3. To reduce the number of scooters in India.

Above reasons mentioned are my personal opinions.

The ban is being proposed for two wheelers with less than 100cc engines which would be manufactured after the ban is implemented. This means, that the two wheelers which have already been sold, can still carry pillion riders.

If you look at the present day scenario, we have a very few two wheelers which are under 100cc and most of them just a few cc lower than 100. The manufacturers would easily do minimal changes to the piston to get them rated over 100cc.
Only vehicle that would need a big change looks like the TVS Scooty Pep with its 88cc engine. As TVS already has many other versions of the Scooty with 110cc engines, they may discontinue the pep.

Overall, with this ban I do not think, there would be any major difference in the two wheeler market, be it in terms of sales or usage.

One thing that seems unclear is the situation of electric scooters. Most electric scooters are rated based on an equivalent cc. Most of the electric scooters come under the 50cc rule and would not be applicable under the MVI act. That is the reason we do not need any driving license or insurance to operate it.
The higher capacity ones , would again be falling under equivalent 100cc category and they would be one of the few vehicles affected by the ban.

I think the government is smoking something of a bad brand[lol] till now they couldn't implement pillion with a helmet or stop underage riding/driving how can they expect from people to follow this rule I think some kinda deal is going with manufacturer that they will eat some commission on every pillion seat sold[lol] God knows what they are up to I think this is just a thinking they can't implement it I think after sometime they will start a rule according to height you can purchase this bike or not, they just need to increase safety on Indian roads to stop accident not make some idiotic half baked rules, build better roads and increase police checking and educate people not to carry a family of five on a single bike. May God give some extra brains to the government. The manufacturer can easily bypass the category by adding 2 or 3 cc in each bike.

Thread Starter #7
The ban is being proposed for two wheelers with less than 100cc engines which would be manufactured after the ban is implemented. This means, that the two wheelers which have already been sold, can still carry pillion riders.
If pillion riding is not banned in existing <100 cc, it might not be a major issue, but AFAIK, they have banned pillion riding on existing < 100cc 2 wheeler.[anger]
Not only has the registration of such vehicles which have seats for pillion rider been banned but also riding pillion on two-wheeler below 100 CC is prohibited," said a government order issued by the transport department on October 13 ........
It had directed that to avoid repetition of similar situation, the transport department should not register vehicles below 100 CC with a pillion seat attached to it and not permit riding pillion on such vehicles (already registered).
Source: https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...elow-100-cc-capacity/articleshow/61188154.cms

Last edited:
Just checked offerings of top 10 2-wheeler manufacturers. Excepting TVS, no one has any thing under 100cc at all. That too just Scooty Pep (87.88cc). The mighty TVS 50 is no more, it is TVS XL 100. And it might not take long for TVS to adapt to this 100cc norm within a few months.

Intentionally or unintentionally it has been aimed at college-going-girls & young women. Why? I don't understand.

Almost no impact at all, if it is just new vehicles.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Just checked offerings of top 10 2-wheeler manufacturers. Excepting TVS, no one has any thing under 100cc at all. That too just Scooty Pep (87.88cc). The mighty TVS 50 is no more, it is TVS XL 100. And it might not take long for TVS to adapt to this 100cc norm within a few months.

Intentionally or unintentionally it has been aimed at college-going-girls & young women. Why? I don't understand.

Take a look at HERO products. 5-6 bikes under 100cc.

Top 3 bikes are banned. Bajaj ct100 too.

For Banning pillion in < 100 CC bike reasons might be:

1. To reduce the payload weight. Nowadays people with 100 or < 100 cc bike carry many bags and heavy items around them from one place to other which is most common in India especially in villages. And 3 members riding in one bike policy is mainly followed with the people having 100 cc bike than that of any other bike.

2. To increase the number of sales of the > 100 cc Bike category.
3. To reduce the number of scooters in India.

Above reasons mentioned are my personal opinions.
1. The same problem will be present on bikes above 100cc.

2. Can be a reason. Indirect win for honda.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Unfortunately, even existing < 100 cc vehicles will be affected. Pillion riding will not be allowed (source quoted earlier in this thread). The vehicles which will be affected are :
TVS Scooty /Pep
TVS Sports
TVS XL
Hero HF
Hero Splendor Plus
Hero Splendor Pro
Kawasaki KX
The biggest problem will be TVS Scooty. It is the 9th largest selling 2 wheeler and sells over 1,60,000 per year (not sure about sales in Bangalore). Since the clause applies to existing owners too, many will be pissed !

Take a look at HERO products. 5-6 bikes under 100cc.
Top 3 bikes are banned. Bajaj ct100 too.
2. Can be a reason. Indirect win for honda.
My bad. I automatically assumed all bikes (excepting scooters) were above 100cc. Most of the bikes you had mentioned are 97cc. Yes, they will be affected.

Unfortunately, even existing < 100 cc vehicles will be affected. Pillion riding will not be allowed (source quoted earlier in this thread). The vehicles which will be affected are :
TVS Scooty /Pep
TVS Sports
TVS XL
Hero HF
Hero Splendor Plus
Hero Splendor Pro
Kawasaki KX
The biggest problem will be TVS Scooty. It is the 9th largest selling 2 wheeler and sells over 1,60,000 per year (not sure about sales in Bangalore). Since the clause applies to existing owners too, many will be pissed !
Yes, biggest issue is Scooty line of products. I don't think they (Karnataka Govt) will enforce it now. One of the ministers had said that they will appeal for the Cc to be reduced to 50.

Top Bottom