The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Road Safety & Driving Sense (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/road-safety-driving-sense/)
-   -   Difference in Behaviour When Driving Car & Riding Bike (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/road-safety-driving-sense/28850-difference-behaviour-when-driving-car-riding-bike.html)

CasualSurfer 24th March 2017 01:13 PM

Difference in Behaviour When Driving Car & Riding Bike

This discussion is for those who shift between bike & car on a regular basis.

When I am driving a car
In city conditions, I am sensitive to the pedestrians, other bikers, other cars, essentially I look all around. I never criss-cross unless ample opportunity. I wait for others to pass in most situations, except for those idiotic line-cutting maniacs. Never use hand signals. Always put indicators on (of course, it is mandatory). Slow down heavily for corners / turns.
In highways, I am that guy who wants to maintain momentum between 80-110 kmph on most occasions.

When I am riding my bike
In city conditions, most of the times, I drive with no-one-overtakes-me attitude (Bullet 500)! No, that is an exaggeration. But it is just that I don't look around too much, except for in the mirrors. Neither I have the time to turn-all-around. I criss-cross (without affecting too many riders). I don't let other 2-wheelers pass by (usually I am quick), even though it happens sometimes. I do wait for pedestrians. I use a lot of hand signals. I don't use indicators too often, instead hand signals. I don't slow down in corners / turns. Love the Rossi-moments of knee touching the road (kidding, I mean you get the picture).
In highways, I maintain 80-90 consistently. Except for using indicators, other aspects do not change much. Although I don't ride often on highways.

I feel I am 2 different persons, depending on whether the ride is a car or a bike.

Is it just driving confidence between both machines? Is it natural empathy? Is it costlier to repair-feeling? Is it genuine interest that cars makes more damage in accidents? Is it responsibility of carrying more people with you? Is it pride ownership & not-spoiling-it with bad manners? Is it just that driving a car gives you more time to think other things?

krishna6239 24th March 2017 02:26 PM

Re: Difference in behaviour when driving car & riding bike

That's normal, all of us are like that.

Always bigger vehicles will be blamed regardless of rules/reason. So we are highly conscious when driving a car than when riding a motorcycle.

I suggest you to use indicators [along with hand signal] to avoid peril/menace situations.

bhvm 24th March 2017 05:19 PM

Hmmm...

When driving a car in city-
Stay away from me you fool! (murmuring to that idiotic riksaw walla who cut me off/ Went too close etc). Else. I have a large safety bubble. Enough that other will try to squeeze in and block me off. I am very sedate. Often slower than average traffic. ALWAYS give space to others (Cars/Bikes/Tractors/rikshaws) who are in a hurry. Maintain distance from everyone. I often drive in lower gears. Sometimes I do enjoy zippy acceleration in 1st or 2nd. Constantly use Mirrors & Indicators.

When driving a car On the highway (4 lane or better roads)-
Traffic? What traffic. Did'nt I overtake everyone?
I am usually quite speedy. On open stretches I usually max out the capabilities of the car. Infact, I have tested the Max geared speeds of many cars I drive. Want to overtake me? meet me at the next speedbreaker or pothole. I take them slowly. Often slow enough to allow even trucks to dart ahed. But you'll feel bad when I zip past by, Moments later, like you're sitting ducks. I fly like wind on the better stretches. Speeds are often in the range of 130~150 Depending on car & the road. Its not uncommon to touch peaks of 170~180. I find it extremely boring if someone else is driving at 80~100. And I feel extremely scared if someone is driving 150+ (unless I know the person Closely). In the end, I always tend to grab the wheel.

I also love shifting gears. I love revving up. I love free & wide highways.

When driving a Scooter in the city-
I actually bring most the city-car habits to my scootering. Large safety bubble. Observing rules. I use Indicators, Never Hand signals. I am quite cautions not to cut others off. Speeds are usually 20~40 depending on traffic. I take speedbreakers slow enough that I need to touch my feet sometimes. Often times I occupy car-like width on the road which others may find odd (1 car per lane vs 2 scooters per lane). But honk once and i'll let you pass.

Scooter on the highways-
Scooters are not meant to be taken on the highway. End of discussion.

pravin1987 24th March 2017 07:57 PM

back in college days i used to ride like a lunatic in bike, cutting, zig zaging, red line drags from signals( i was not driving a car)...moment i started driving car, i realized the trouble two wheels create for cars and heavy vechiles..nowdays i became a sedate and follow speed limits in cities..

yes when on two laned highways i am fast but notrash.....

kkn13 25th March 2017 09:57 PM

Re: Difference in Behaviour When Driving Car & Riding Bike

Forget car vs Bike behaviour
I find myself driving faster and cutting when I drive hot hatches especially diesel ones like my old Ritz whereas Im more scared/cautious in my larger cars

CasualSurfer 25th March 2017 10:34 PM

Re: Difference in Behaviour When Driving Car & Riding Bike

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 531369)
Always bigger vehicles will be blamed regardless of rules/reason. So we are highly conscious when driving a car than when riding a motorcycle.

So it is indeed indirectly the notion that larger vehicles do larger damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhvm (Post 531387)
When driving a car in city-
I have a large safety bubble. Enough that other will try to squeeze in and block me off. I am very sedate. Often slower than average traffic. Maintain distance from everyone. I often drive in lower gears. Sometimes I do enjoy zippy acceleration in 1st or 2nd. Constantly use Mirrors & Indicators.

It is natural empathy then.

Quote:

When driving a car On the highway (4 lane or better roads)-
Traffic? What traffic. Did'nt I overtake everyone? In the end, I always tend to grab the wheel. I also love shifting gears. I love revving up. I love free & wide highways.

Definitely, driving confidence. But once you the magic words 'love', all logic goes out of window though.

Quote:

When driving a Scooter in the city-
Large safety bubble. Observing rules. I use Indicators, Never Hand signals. But honk once and i'll let you pass.

Again, a lot of empathy I see here.

Quote:

Scooter on the highways-
Scooters are not meant to be taken on the highway. End of discussion.

Agreed. I have a Bullet 500 (still calling it a bike), hence the inclusion of highway behaviour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pravin1987 (Post 531399)
back in college days i used to ride like a lunatic in bike, cutting, zig zaging, red line drags from signals( i was not driving a car)...moment i started driving car, i realized the trouble two wheels create for cars and heavy vechiles..nowdays i became a sedate and follow speed limits in cities.. yes when on two laned highways i am fast but notrash.....

A lot of driving confidence & natural empathy has grown over a period of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkn13 (Post 531496)
Forget car vs Bike behaviour
I find myself driving faster and cutting when I drive hot hatches especially diesel ones like my old Ritz whereas Im more scared/cautious in my larger cars

Wow, that is a lot of confidence. There are people who can't drive slow in bikes. And there are people who can't drive slow in cars too. I call it talent till that freedom touches someone else nose (criss-crossing makes other drivers nervous / do something suddenly).