The Value of ‘L’ Board on Learner’s Cars

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
How many of us realize the value of “L” sticker / board on a learner’s car? I still remember when a family member of mine was new to driving, the red “L” stuck on front and rear windshield used to be of a great help. Even though indirectly, other road users were willing to cooperate. Today, I observed an exactly opposite incident. A learner was stuck right in the middle of a road. The other vehicles, rather than being patient were creating a panic scene with consistent honking. This could have made the situation worse for a new who was sitting inside. Guess it’s high time those people begin to understand basic road etiquettes.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Aaah, road sense is almost nil for most of the road users. Some of them think that if they just keep their hands on the horn, everything in their path is just going to move.
Then there's this other group of people when waiting at a signal starts honking even when there's approx 5-7 seconds remaing on the countdown timer. Makes me wonder if they are planning to measure the 0-60 timings of their vehicle. And by chance you make eye-contact with these people, they give you the most disgusted look. [frustration]

AMG

Suspended
If you paste a L on the car, the people feel that you are the root cause of every trouble on the road. They want you to give them way, just because they feel that you are a beginner and have nothing else to do. They want to bully you into submission. But that, nevertheless should not stop you from putting up an L plate. I feel the people need to be taught manners and road etiquette.

it would be advisable not only to learners but to beginners and new car owner also where there could be a "getting used to" period. i hope people do take care when they see an L board..not sure but i do respect them a lot.
Yes, it does make the drivers following them aware of the fact that the driver ahead of them is a beginner, so he can keep distance or overtake to avoid any trouble to himself as well as the rookie driver.

If you paste a L on the car, the people feel that you are the root cause of every trouble on the road. They want you to give them way, just because they feel that you are a beginner and have nothing else to do. They want to bully you into submission. But that, nevertheless should not stop you from putting up an L plate. I feel the people need to be taught manners and road etiquette.
Very well said. I have personally seen the driver staring rudely at these beginners when they unexpectedly stop in midst of traffic due to some reasons.

I had L-sticker in my scooter when i learnt driving![:D]

Yes i kinda always maintain a safe distance from an L-board car! Its compulsory to have L-board on cars till they are confident enough to drive well. I don honk to L-board cars if they get stuck up but people back of me start honking![frustration]

dhaya , if no honk how we are going to pass them, i dont like dragging behind a learners car.
honking is no illegal but should not be for scaring or annoyance. hope you meant that!!

for me "L" on car means danger keep away from it specially if its girl inside i survived 2 times getting over-run by them .
+1 to you!
Sorry to go off topic but talking about dangers on Mumbai roads for me are; first in the list are female drivers; Learners; ST busses; MCGM Cleanup Trucks and Twowheelers.

Aaah, road sense is almost nil for most of the road users. Some of them think that if they just keep their hands on the horn, everything in their path is just going to move. And by chance you make eye-contact with these people, they give you the most disgusted look. [frustration]
Never make eye contact with other road users when you or they are cross when behind the wheel or even when you are just a pedestrian. It might lead to things much worse.

They even teach in the U.K and other countries that you should not give "the Look" to other motorists or pedestrians.( The look in the sense staring with an aggressive face.) I used to give the look when people acted like retards on the road and it used to work a decade before, But now people start to get aggressive and a confrontation is what you can expect next.

Most of the people on the road do have road rage, make no doubt about it and I myself sometimes get my head real hot. I combat those situations with slow music in the car. For me music from Stevie Wonder makes me think and act better.

And since I stopped making eye contact things have been better for myself. I just learnt what I was doing was all wrong.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Most of the L-boards in TVM are fakes.
1. Either they got license and don't have the guts drive.
2. They don't even plan to take one.
3. Some forget to remove them.

I've discussed about buying an automatic in another thread for my friend's dad. He got license for over 4 years and his wife for 2+ yrs. Still he got an L-board on his Zen for 4+ years.

Almost all the gearless scooters in my office got L's, mostly HH Pleasure and Activas. Most of the L's are deteriorated.

If its a genuine leaner, I will cooperate. Whatever case I don't honk :D [mine even makes buses give me way]. Seen many guys helping out with stalled aunt's in situations.

When stuck between and L and a busy honker, I just show hand signal to the guy behind "WTH do you want [evil]"

Most of the L-boards in TVM are fakes.
1. Either they got license and don't have the guts drive.
2. They don't even plan to take one.
3. Some forget to remove them.

"
deville i would say do not under estimate them as there are lot of psychological disorders and fobia which makes some people anxious while driving so it would be better for such people to have L boards on their rides.

i have even heard some people faint or tremble even after a decade of driving
some sick peoples who have no other options, they should definitly have L boards so that they dont run over anybody or anything in case of an emergency or attack..

deville_56

Honoured Member
deville i would say do not under estimate them as there are lot of psychological disorders and fobia which makes some people anxious while driving so it would be better for such people to have L boards on their rides.

i have even heard some people faint or tremble even after a decade of driving
some sick peoples who have no other options, they should definitly have L boards so that they dont run over anybody or anything in case of an emergency or attack..
But holding license and using a learner's board is against law. The above mentioned guy was caught once for driving solo with an L-board. Escaped saying his wife is learning, so the L. They asked to put a removable one or cover the one when a non-L'er is driving.

Top Bottom