Unconventional Highway Signaling in India

Thread Starter #1
I have come across various unconventional signaling in India which I think has no relevance to the RTO rules. I would like invite TIA members discussion on this.

1. Head Light Flashing: Very confusing. In India it means "Let me go first". In Bahrain what I have observed is "You go first"

2. I have also observed "Continuous headlamp on" during day time. Does it also mean "Let me go first"?

3. Slow moving cars, sometimes keep left (sometimes right) rear side indicator indicate "Overtake me".

Re: Unconventional highway signaling

I have observed this too on the Indian roads and highways. Especially the trucks and the buses follow these rules.

when it pours on highway or when there is fog people turn on their hazard light. Instead they should have turn on the parking lights.

This is too dangerous considering that there is already low visiblity and then you turn on hazard lights and in speed how to indicate lane changing to other vehicles?

I have observed this rules , but mostly follow in 2 Lane roads ,

Like when you overtaking some vehicle and another vehicle coming from opposite side , so people flash light - means - slow down let me overtake this . (two avoid head on collisions ).

"3. Slow moving cars, sometimes keep left (sometimes right) rear side indicator indicate "Overtake me". "

Slow moving cars or any other slow moving vehicle(e.g Bus/Trucks etc.) should always be on left side , because right most lane is fast lane . ( This is on four lane roads ) .

And about rear side indicator , yes heavy load vehicle used this to indicate to "overtake me " (this is on 2 lane road ) . Some drive used there hand to signal , because they have clear view of road then the vehicle behind him .

I observe one thing in without Divider / Single lane Highway - Some car driving fast constantly keep ON their Right Hand Side Indicator.

1. When a car go Slow and stay left with Right hand Side Indicator ON - that mean he is aware of the situation and any car behind him let them pass.

2. But when somebody speeding and going straight with Right Hand side indicator - What that mean - even they come in front of you (here you come from opposite side) where there is no space left for your car unless you come to nearly halt.

With that indicator ON - mean they can do what ever they please ?

Anybody can explain ?

Last edited:
The main rule of using indicator is ,"Instead of indicating what others should do, you must indicate what you are going to do".

Secondly, the flashing of headlights in India is always "I want to go first", but no one bothers each other and the one who flashes sometimes needs to stop. IMHO in India one needs to obey this flashes only when turning right and taking a "U" turn on highways.

One thing I never understand , people turn on hazard light in tunnel and change there lane or overtake other vehicle .

They even don't known what is use of hazard light they just turn on when enter to tunnel .

This is mostly I sow on Mumbai-Pune expressway .

Thread Starter #8
Thank you friends for the response on this thread.

Show moving trucks should flash rear left side indicator to indicate "Overtake me". Instead many time they flash right side indicator. Too dangerous.

Thank you friends for the response on this thread. Show moving trucks should flash rear left side indicator to indicate "Overtake me". Instead many time they flash right side indicator. Too dangerous.
To be honest I have seen truck drivers better following the traffic rules on highways than the cars and bikes (No, I am not a truck driver myself [lol]). I drove from MH to KL many times and I found truck drivers always giving proper signals and stops you from overtaking on 2-way roads when there is oncoming traffic which won't be visible to the trailing driver otherwise. Mostly I have seen them using the right indicator to show "Please don't overtake me now" to safeguard the punies trailing behind.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
To be honest I have seen truck drivers better following the traffic rules on highways than the cars and bikes (No, I am not a truck driver myself [lol]). I drove from MH to KL many times and I found truck drivers always giving proper signals and stops you from overtaking on 2-way roads when there is oncoming traffic which won't be visible to the trailing driver otherwise. Mostly I have seen them using the right indicator to show "Please don't overtake me now" to safeguard the punies trailing behind.
I fully agree with you. Most of them give proper signals by hand. But I have also seen very slow moving trailers keep right side indicator continuously on.

I fully agree with you. Most of them give proper signals by hand. But I have also seen very slow moving trailers keep right side indicator continuously on.
Yes, This is most common scenario at North East part which is ;

Slow Moving with Right Hand Side Indicator ON = 'Go Ahead Over Take Me - No Problem'

But, Light Weight vehicle with powerful Engine at No Divider Lane;

Moving Fast with Right Hand Side Indicator ON = 'Give Me The Whole Road' - I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Completely agree with you . Truck Drivers follow traffic rules better than the Car and Bikes
specially on 2 Lane road .

Completely agree with you . Truck Drivers follow traffic rules better than the Car and Bikes
specially on 2 Lane road .
I cannot agree to this.Sorry for that.On Bangalore Mysore highway, on the NICE road, you can see crawling trucks on both lanes .Now which side should we use to overtake? Whatever is left !!! [frustration]

I cannot agree to this.Sorry for that.On Bangalore Mysore highway, on the NICE road, you can see crawling trucks on both lanes .Now which side should we use to overtake? Whatever is left !!! [frustration]
Here the truck crawling at right (7kmph) lane must be in a process of overtaking the left one (5kmph) [;)]

I have come across various unconventional signaling in India which I think has no relevance to the RTO rules. I would like invite TIA members discussion on this.

1. Head Light Flashing: Very confusing. In India it means "Let me go first". In Bahrain what I have observed is "You go first"

2. I have also observed "Continuous headlamp on" during day time. Does it also mean "Let me go first"?

3. Slow moving cars, sometimes keep left (sometimes right) rear side indicator indicate "Overtake me".
Headlight flashing in India definitely means that "let me go first" and its an indication to the car in front that i will be overtaking you so don't change lanes.

Regarding slow moving cars keep right: I think the drivers are lazy and they don't want to change lanes frequently.

Top Bottom