• Depends on Traffic

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

A simple question is being put-forward by me here i.e Do you always adhere to the mentioned speed limits? We often speak at length about the safe driving and ill-effects of driving at high speeds but in all honesty, how many of us do actually adhere to the speed limits whether in CITY or on the Highways? Whether you own a car or a bike, feel free to share your views. Please be informed, being a responsible driver, one should never promote or follow unsafe driving.

Some good links I'll share here, link and link 2.

Regards

Akash

Yes, I voted Depends on Traffic. That means, if the road is free, I will push it up-to 60-70 km/h, but otherwise nope. But in highways, I'm a little strict because the speed limit of 80 is good enough and I will push it only in case of overtaking.

Let me be frank. The speed limit in city roads is 40 kmph. If the traffic is slow moving, yes the speeds of all vehicles will be 40 kmph. But if there is no traffic and the roads are free, I drive above the speed limit, that is 40 kmph. Yes. I break the rule here. But I don't disturb anybody or cause hindrance to somebody. Even once I was stopped by a police man in a road with no traffic(literally no traffic. May be 3 to 4 two wheelers in sight) and gave me a speed ticket. I was clocking 50 KMPH at that time in my bike.

Well to be very true one can never follow speed limits unless the road is full of traffic. On highways it is 80kmph and in cities it goes from 30-40 kmph. I mean Who drives at such slow speeds? In Cities when there is no traffic you generally tend to go around 50-60kmph which still feels sedate driving. On highways, 100 kmph which i generally drive is by far the slowest speeds in cars. I only overtake loaded lorries and pickups but generally every oother car overtakes me at this speed.

I said,I obey traffic rules.I was not joking.Being in Bangalore,in city I never go above 40.Basically,it is almost not possible to go above that due to traffic.On the NICE ring road, I can go up to 120.That I do.

It depends. Not on traffic, but on "WHERE". I stick to speed limits "inside City Limits" (and of course no signal jumping, obeying No Parking blah blah blah). But, out on the highway, I do not follow speed limits.

Yesterday, I tried to drive within 80 kph while returning to Bangalore, found myself bottled up due to the "perpetual overtaking at 40kph on a 80 kph stretch". The best was to runaway and I cannot do that if I follow speed limit. Whenever drivers ahead of me felt I was not in a hurry, they never gave me way. When I approached them at speed, they gave way.

The day Cops are able to implement "Slower Vehicles STRICTLY on slower lane rule" I will be able to adhere to speed limit on the highway too. Till then ... ... ... it depends [evil]

I said,I obey traffic rules.I was not joking.Being in Bangalore,in city I never go above 40.Basically,it is almost not possible to go above that due to traffic.On the NICE ring road, I can go up to 120.That I do.
40kph ... you are lucky, I would say. I am able to cover generally about 20 km in an hour in BLR traffic, IF I am lucky. My home to Shanti Nagar Bus stand is about 17km and is a first milestone when I drive out of City. It takes anywhere between 1.25 to 1.5 Hrs depending on time of the day. Last Friday, it took me little over 2 Hours to reach Hosur but less than 2 Hours for Hosur to Vellore [frustration]

But, that's the way with City life.

Last edited:
What I see over here is most of you follow the rule because you are forced to follow due to traffic That does not imply that you are voluntarily obeying the rules. You are kind of forced to. However on the same roads when no traffic do you follow the rules is the question.

My vote is 'depends on traffic '.
Generally don't drive fast i am a sedate driver.
IMHO speed limiy zone is generally always crowded i.e, near schools,etc. But same place at offtime is pretty empty so if speed permitted is 20kmph when no one is around i think we can sedately drive around 30-40kmph n i don't think anyone voluntarily drives 20kmph at offtime in the speed limit zone [thinking]

What I see over here is most of you follow the rule because you are forced to follow due to traffic That does not imply that you are voluntarily obeying the rules. You are kind of forced to. However on the same roads when no traffic do you follow the rules is the question.
Not exactly. Even if the roads are free in town, I wouldn't cross 40 km/h. It's only in isolated roads, outskirts where no signs of people around and not much vehicular traffi, I bring the speed to 60! But that's just me and I assume other people are also talking the same. If not, then it is like you said! [:D]

Depends on traffic.
Our country unfortunately has ridiculous speed limits. On some roads where the traffic does 60 comfortably has a speed limit of 20. And also, on many roads, especially state highways don't have any limit mentioned. So as a general rule, I drive at whatever speed traffic and road condition allows, so that i have a smooth ride without much braking

I have voted for "Depends of traffic". In city driving you have to crawl along with traffic speed at peak hours but the same road can be taken sedately in early morning hours. In highway driving, i follow the limit but sometime the pointer goes few markings ahead of defined speed where i ease off my foot from accelerator until it reaches back to said limit.

Sometimes following the speed limit will result in rear ending, There is this part of highway which runs near an industrial park which also has a dozen ASCs, the limit is 40kmph and 20 kmph at few places. The limit is acceptable because of the trucks and people crossing the road and the service road which adds to the chaos. But all do a 100kmph in this stretch of 5 kms. I maintain 60 kmph.

Last edited:

Top Bottom