Ideas For Betterment of Indian Roads

Re: Things You Can Do Only On Indian Roads!

Innovative product for potholed roads in Indian cities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeable_paving
Although OT am going to say all politicians & contractors are gonna hate this!

How will these poor souls make a living if there is no need to repave roads & something to promise during elections.[roll]
How will they be able to afford Toyota Fortuners,the Rado watch & their sleeping tonic Johnnie Walker??[:)]

Thread Starter #5
https://www.facebook.com/JaysonLuberTrafficGuy/videos/845585708881243/

Magic boxes are in use for more than a decade in Bangalore but I guess the boxes and roads need to be wider and quality could be better as always !

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/magic-box-runs-out-of-tricks/article8664600.ece

Cauvery Junction ‘magic box’
Built in 2008 to make junction signal-free, airport travel seamless
New prefabricated technology that was touted to be installed in 72 hours
It took 35 days, after the BBMP hit a sewer line while digging
Cost: Rs. 1.65 crore

Last edited:
If I remember my 2nd year Fluid Mechanics correctly, the reason for potholes on the road is stagnant water. Specifically, the fact that (for practical purposes) water is incompressible.

If the roads do not have proper drainage then the rainwater collects on the road. When a vehicle passes over a pool of water it exerts pressure over it.

This pressure is in turn transmitted to the road. As more and more vehicles pass over the stagnant water, the top later of the road becomes weak and we get our wonderful potholes.

Perhaps having a basic drainage system in place would ensure longevity of roads. But then, if the roads last twice as long then the contractors can only rip us off half as much! :biggrin:

If I remember my 2nd year Fluid Mechanics correctly, the reason for potholes on the road is stagnant water. Specifically, the fact that (for practical purposes) water is incompressible.

If the roads do not have proper drainage then the rainwater collects on the road. When a vehicle passes over a pool of water it exerts pressure over it.

This pressure is in turn transmitted to the road. As more and more vehicles pass over the stagnant water, the top later of the road becomes weak and we get our wonderful potholes.

Perhaps having a basic drainage system in place would ensure longevity of roads. But then, if the roads last twice as long then the contractors can only rip us off half as much! :biggrin:
Stagnant water or water is correct. But, the reason is different. Asphalt is resilient to water initially. Over a period of time, it looses its fight and allows water to penetrate. Water then gradually erodes the base underneath, causes it to crack (known as "stripping") and eventually collapse. Mother nature at work. But, this can be delayed due to proper design and maintenance.

Top Bottom