Auto Rickshaws Now To Have Seatbelts

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
TVS_King_ZS.jpg
Representational Pic​
The Indian government is contemplating to mandate seatbelts in three-wheelers under a new draft but does it provide any real world safety when coupled with the compromising body structure?

Tightening the screws, the next phase of vehicular safety has kicked off in India (sort of as per us) with mandatory safety features on people movers being contemplated by the government. In this case, the very popular three-wheelers have been taken into consideration as the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) is proposing to mandate seatbelts for L5M and L5N vehicle categories under a new draft number AIS-134/F.

L5M Category: Passenger Carrier (auto-rickshaw) — A three-wheeler on account of its technical features intended to carry passengers.

L5N Category: Goods Carrier — A three wheeler on account of its technical features intended to carry goods.
link

Regards

Akash

Re: Auto Rickshaws To Have Seatbelts Now.

Well, that is a good initiative. But im sure our auto drivers are subject to removing the seat belts, given the kind of customization they do for the interiors. But it may also seem useless because i bet half the population won't use them. When they don't do it in cars, you expect them to wear seatbelts in autos?[:)]
And how are the driver's seatbelts? Sporty 3 points i guess [lol]
Not to forget, we have lakhs of rick drivers who have two of their friends in the front with them in the centre. Who would wear the seatbelts here? Plus, our rural autos carry 14+ people. Seatbelts for the crammed passengers? Still its a good initiative and i would wear them if mandated!

Last edited:

Good rule, if it is mandated (and over all, and accepted by our rick drivers). And with the kind of driving they do, adding to what idsi2005 said, some sporty seats from Sparco should also be implemented. [lol]

But I doubt if any of those rick drivers will prefer these best (for passengers) as it would simply mean carrying a fixed number of passengers. Old Autos (Piaggio Ape something) carry 4 on the last luggage space (it is for luggage I think!?) and have 4 on each side in the cabin and 2 friends at the front with their legs pointing (and protruding) outward!

First seating limit shall be implemented than this seatbelt rule. When educated people don't wear them in cars (which can go well above 120 kmph), how can be expect the less-literate auto drivers to wear (or allow passengers to wear) them?

On a lighter note, what about a long seatbelt to tie the passengers in place, instead of individual belts!? [lol]

Last edited:

Good rule, if it is mandated (and over all, and accepted by our rick drivers). And with the kind of driving they do, adding to what idsi2005 said, some sporty seats from Sparco should also be implemented. [lol]

But I doubt if any of those rick drivers will prefer these best (for passengers) as it would simply mean carrying a fixed number of passengers. Old Autos (Piaggio Ape something) carry 4 on the last luggage space (it is for luggage I think!?) and have 4 on each side in the cabin and 2 friends at the front with their legs pointing (and protruding) outward!

First seating limit shall be implemented than this seatbelt rule. When educated people don't wear them in cars (which can go well above 120 kmph), how can be expect the less-literate auto drivers to wear (or allow passengers to wear) them?

On a lighter note, what about a long seatbelt to tie the passengers in place, instead of individual belts!? [lol]
Precisely my point sir! And strapping passengers together is not welcome. I've seen autos wherein there are 4 or 5 adults on the seat, some 2-3 kids on the metal rod (which holds the automated meter and the driver backrest), and few more kids or heavy bags on the place.above.the engine bay! I feel sad for the rick!!.. .

Adherence to the rule could be a challenge. From the rickshaw owners standpoint, maintaining these seatbelts may be a hassle, for passengers, it may be uncomfortable and perhaps unhygienic feeling and added workload for the traffic cops. Maybe limiting the top speed for autos may be better for a start, the autos in Mumbai do some serious speeds ! That said, safety is paramount and it is good that the authorities are looking into this.

Adherence to the rule could be a challenge. From the rickshaw owners standpoint, maintaining these seatbelts may be a hassle, for passengers, it may be uncomfortable and perhaps unhygienic feeling and added workload for the traffic cops. Maybe limiting the top speed for autos may be better for a start, the autos in Mumbai do some serious speeds ! That said, safety is paramount and it is good that the authorities are looking into this.
Actually speaking the cops wouldn't mind mandating seatbelts in ricks, simply because they can make an extra buck! And yes, many wouldn't find it comfortable. But how would it be a task to maintain?

:), that is the lighter side of the rule. On the seatbelt maintenance, I reckoned with the constant yanking, they might get torn out soon, some passengers aren't going to be careful with them. But yes, unless the auto owners will replace them diligently, it may not be a maintenance issue!

:), that is the lighter side of the rule. On the seatbelt maintenance, I reckoned with the constant yanking, they might get torn out soon, some passengers aren't going to be careful with them. But yes, unless the auto owners will replace them diligently, it may not be a maintenance issue!
A good point indeed, given that an auto is a public Vehicle and that they ferry many people a day, the.seatbelts are prone to wear and tear. Anway, let's just wait for that rick to come.around with seatbelts, and we'll get to know then.
But one doubt, how is the driver's seatbelt going to be?

bhvm

Honoured Member
I will be reulctant to use Seatbelts on a public vehicle, esp something as grimy as Rikshaw.
Don't know how many people are wiping their greasy/ Dirty hands on it. The belts will turn into germ magnets soon!

350Z

Core Team
Rapido has announced its initiative to equip over 1000 autos in Delhi with seatbelts and rain curtains:
  • Rapido Autos plying in South Delhi (Malviya Nagar, Saket, Sarojini Nagar), Noida (Sector 6 & Kaushambi Metro), Greater Noida (Knowledge Park) and Gurugram (Sector 30) have been equipped with the same.
  • Rapido Auto has also collaborated with traffic police departments across India to conduct safety awareness programs in cities including Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bengaluru, Vijayawada and Madurai.
  • These initiatives include CPR and basic life support training for their captains, along with a mime program aimed at illustrating the importance of road safety.

Rapido-Auto-Rain-Curtain.jpeg

Rapido-Auto-Seatbelts.jpeg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom