How To Drive Safely During Earthquake!

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

After searching at length our forum, I came up with this topic. Earthquakes often catch the people unaware and one doesn't know what else to do except run out of the home/office. This perhaps is the right thing to do but what if one is not in the office/home? What if one is riding a bike or driving a car at the time of the earthquake? What in your opinion should be the safety practice that should be followed by the rider/driver at the time of such a unforeseen happening?

Just as you all may be aware that Delhi/NCR had considerable tremors in afternoon yesterday and many drivers on road were caught unaware. Though thankfully the tremors did not last much longer and god willingly no untoward happening occurred on the roads here but certainly we all travel/drive on daily basis so I would appreciate from your end, some helpful tips which may be good enough to be safe inside the vehicle during earthquakes because it is often impossible to leave the vehicle stranded or run out of it in many cases.

Looking forward for active participation!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
That is one hilarious topic reporter saab. I am about to leave for Jaipur and then this title catches my eyes. A quick login just to ask one simple question:

Do you feel the earth shaking while driving on Indian roads? Even if the earth does, how will you differentiate between if it is the earth shaking or your car shaking on the undulations on even an expressway? :lol!:

Riding a motorcycle and trying to figure out an earthquake is even more fun filled. I mean how can one figure it out if the earth is shaking on a vehicle whose suspension transfers even the slightest of undulations to riders body? Heck, I was riding that time day before yesterday and was surprised to find out why people are running out of offices and then got surprised even more when they told me that it's an earthquake.

All in all I have just two suggestions:
1) Keep enjoying the drive if you are driving on a good plain expressway.
2) Start paying if you are on a bridge, flyover or hills :biggrin:

Last edited:
Interesting topic Akash but i have to agree with what Vipul said its difficult to understand a quake is happening when riding or driving . That is unless god forbid its a major one,at which point i imagine parts of buildings crumbling & possibly street lights & electric poles mite tumble over so maybe avoiding these electric wires would be the first priority. & staying away from tall buildings & bridges flyovers is the best advice one can think of.
But during such cases ones mind is filled with thoughts of concern for loved ones because i remember when a minor tremor hit Bangalore & since my apartment has multiple pillars which amplifies such tremors(according to a Japanese documentary) i ran out with wallet & cars keys while texting & marking the warning to like 20 people close to me.
Later decided against the car because it was in the basement & not safe.
I was incredibly paranoid as it was first time,but i am sure most will feel that way.

Also you should have a back up plan to exit the city & in some emergency cases ,best to avoid roads which have bridges or flyovers going over the roads you take which can be possibly blocked,so imagine already in a regular traffic jam people behave terribly ,in such cases of panic people can stab you if they must literally so sitting in a clogged up road is not a good idea so preplanned routes mite help.

@Prads:
Those are some nice points but does a high intensity earthquake gives enough time to plan-do-check and act?

Normally it lasts for some seconds and I doubt that anyone living on tenth floor can even get out of the building even if the quake lasts a minute. In fact for a minute lasting quake, the building won't be multistorey any more. In fact it takes around 5-10 seconds to recognise if the earth is shaking and the people start rushing out. Most of the times when hardly 5-10% occupants of the building are out the quake is already gone. Precaution is to just stay outside fir half an hour just in case and another one comes.

In the cities we have long flyovers and I believe that in the middle if a bridge or in a flyover or in a building at the time of a quake, one should just hope for the guardian angel to be present right over the head. Landslides, quakes etc are some situations which simply leaves a person helpless and I can't think of the ways to save myself if my car or bike are on a collapsing bridge or flyover or parked right in the way of a landslide. In the cities we can park the car on plain surface, same for highways but where to park the vehicle on a hilly road?

But yes, it is good to avoid hilly drives after earthquake, especially when there are rain and earthquake altogether.

Last edited:
From Wikihow:
1.Recognize that you are in an earthquake situation. An earthquake while driving sometimes feels like there is something wrong with your car. Use your senses. Look around. You will feel the earth jolting and shaking, and begin to see things falling or cracks opening.
Move to the side of the road. Do this as quickly as possible but keep your mind totally focused on safety. It is likely you won't be the only person on the road, so keep an eye out for traffic and be aware that some drivers may panic.

2.As best you can, avoid pulling up under bridges, overpasses, signs, building overhangs, power lines, trees, or any other hazards that might fall onto your car. Avoid parking next to buildings. The car offers very little protection should heavy objects fall on it.
If in a parking lot, exit the car and crouch down low and close to the side of the car to use it as protection - do not get under the car as it will take the impact of any large falling debris such as concrete.

3.Turn off the engine and put your handbrake on.

4.Stay in your vehicle until the shaking stops.
Get out of your vehicle once the shaking has stopped. If you have emergency supplies inside your car, find them. The ideal items to keep in a car are listed under "Things You'll Need" below. Assess the damage to your car and in the immediate vicinity to see whether it is safe to proceed.

5. Check to see that the passengers are all right. Expect some shock or panic and do your best to reassure such persons.
Attend to any injuries using first aid.
The fire department and other emergency services will be dealing with their own issues. You, and those around you, need to work together.

6.Proceed home or to a safety shelter if possible, and drive very cautiously. Provided it is safe, rendezvous wherever it is safest and most convenient to do so. Remember that it may be safer to stay where you are, especially if there is chaos on the roads. Use your phone to call people and let them know you're alright. However, remember cell phone towers may be damaged. Listen to the local radio station for warnings and updates as you drive or walk.
- Do not ever drive through flood waters.
- Do not drive over large cracks in the road. You risk becoming stuck.
-Do not drive under bridges that have cracks and other visible structural damage. -Even without visible damage, be wary of all overhanging objects, bridges, signs, walls, and overpasses.
-Be wary of the potential for landslides onto the road.
-If you're driving along a coastal road in an area known as a potential tsunami zone, drive to higher ground as quickly as possible.
7.Expect aftershocks. The main quake will be followed by aftershocks which can easily dislodge damaged buildings and other structures that haven't already fallen apart
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
Consider that bridges may fall; roads may crack and become impassable. You may be forced to abandon your car. And we know you will want to get home, day or night. The following car supplies are recommended as a permanent on-board kit:
  • Backpack - so items can be easily carried
  • Flashlight (torch) with working batteries
  • Water bottles with water (stainless steel preferred)
  • Snack or energy food / bars
  • Good walking shoes (if you usually have work shoes on)
  • Emergency blanket
  • First aid kit
  • Crank radio
  • Gloves/Hat (remember it could be winter)
  • Hand warmers
  • Waterproof matches
  • Multi-tool compact knife
  • Rain poncho
  • Light sticks
  • Safety reflective strip
  • Whistle (to attract attention if needed)
  • Personal medications
  • Other personal items such as: toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, tampons, small bills/coins, identification...

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Well, From my end, I would say, the cars while in motion may absorb much of the vibration/jerk but if its a high intensity quake won't the cars those are waiting at signals feel the tremor? Also, wouldn't the steering feel shaky during such a calamity if it occurs while driving?

It could appear to be a light heart-ed subject[:)] but definitely can be worthwhile to discuss and provide some useful tips of safety during such instances.

Regards

Akash

Well the first thing one must do is to understand what seismic zone we are living under.

800px-India_earthquake_zone_map_en.svg.png

Zone 5,Highest risk zones - The region of Kashmir, the western and central Himalayas, North Bihar, the North-East Indian region and the Rann of Kutch fall in this zone.

Zone 4 , High Damage Risk zones -The Indo-Gangetic basin and the capital of the country (Delhi), Jammu and Kashmir fall in Zone 4. In Maharashtra, the Patan area (Koyananager) is also in zone no-4. In Bihar the northern part of the state like- Raksaul, Near the border of India and Nepal, is also in zone no-4

Zone 3 , Moderate Damage Risk zones -The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, parts of Kashmir, Western Himalayas fall under this zone,Chennai has been recently moved to Zone 3 from 2(not updated on seismic map).

Also important to note cities, towns under 200 kms in a straight line from seismic zones can be still effected in case of a massive quake.So for example it is mentioned a City like Bangalore can be affected if a massive quake hits Chennai.

The danger of Tsunami after a earthquake is also worth mention in this thread due to population near to coastal regions
japanese-tsunami.jpg

- If you live near a coastal region the risk is immense in case of an earthquake due to the terror of a Tsunami.

- Make sure your car doors are unlocked so you dont get trapped inside your car,if it has an autolock feature to avoid complications leave a window open enough to get out.

- Try moving away from the coast as soon as possible,Tsunami are reported to hit as soon as 5 mins after an Earthquake,

- If path is blocked try getting to higher ground like a sturdy looking building or land which seems uphill,standing on top of your car wont help & is a last resort if all hope is lost.

Last edited:

Top Bottom