Lane Driving Concept: An Important Practice

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Lane Driving Concept: An Important Practice.

Buddies,

We all travel and drive on roads on a daily basis and encounter the traffic also. Now, how is traffic caused on roads is no rocket science, but there is a simple norm to be followed while being stuck up in traffic and even in normal circumstance driving i.e Sticking on to your lane. If the drivers just follow this simple practice of driving in a particular lane without doing any zig-zag then believe me half the battle is won there itself.

The growth of traffic is uncontrollable even in the city with best of infrastructure but what is to be remembered is that the infrastructure will not be of use if one doesn't know about a simple thing like lane driving. Lane driving is like one of the most important pre-requisite of safe driving and one of the most significant characteristic of a good driver. So, growth of traffic is not in our hands but we can ensure its smooth movement at all times.

We all know that the practice of lane driving is beneficial in general but honestly there are really very few of us who always keep to our lanes in reality. Even the best of the driver’s does take chances and changes the lane frequently at times but that is not good in my opinion. Frequent lane changing by any driver whether in traffic jam or in normal conditions leads to discomfort for other fellow motorists. I have myself witnessed a number of times that majority of motorists do not pay much attention and change the driving lane at their own sweet will. This is by-far the most inconsiderate behavior by any civilized driver.

Let me also bring to light another important scenario where lane driving is of utmost importance; when there is a construction going on the roads for metro rail, fly over, under-pass or as simple as road re-layering. When such type of constructions begin on roads, then the authorities in most circumstances make a service lane or increase the road width if possible but still the smooth flow of traffic is not there due to space constrain. Now, when we encounter such type of construction, sensibly we should follow driving in one lane but in reality what is seen is that at the slightest of the opportunity a vehicle begins to overtake either from left or right where ever even an inch of space is available thinking that by going ahead an inch it can climb Mount Everest. As a responsible citizen and a good driver we know how to be safe on roads by following the but-obvious traffic rules but by just following traffic rules one can’t be claimed as a good driver, there are many other important practices like this lane driving that also need to be followed at all times which complete a good driver.

A major cause of unwanted mishaps on roads is the frequent changing of lanes and mostly it is done without any proper indication. If at all times we simply stick to our lane, none of this untoward happening shall take place. Lane driving should never be seen as a forceful or circumstantial measure rather it should be treated as one’s moral duty towards other motorists on roads.

Below are some humble suggestions for effective lane driving that shall help in safe driving and smooth driving;

• In India the right-most lane is that of over-taking so never occupy that lane for driving at slow speeds. Keep it available for other vehicles to overtake.

• Never drive at slow speeds in the middle lane intentionally. Maintain the prescribed speed limit at all times. This ensures that all cars are driven smoothly and traffic is regulated.

• If you need to take a turn to left or right, then choose the correct lane before-hand instead of hampering the traffic flow at the last moment.

• Never drive while using a mobile phone in any lane. I have seen many drivers doing this on roads. This is highly irrational. Such drivers are more engaged in call rather than driving. Such cars are driven at really low speeds purposely.

• Always change the lane by giving proper indication as it helps the traffic behind to slow down and pass from other side and while doing so do keep an eye on the ORVMs.

• Never over-speed in any lane and do maintain braking distance at all times.

• While driving on the one-way road, keep to the left, let the on-coming traffic pass from right.

• Never drive on wrong side of the road as it’s not only illegal but a big put-off for all motorists.

• Do respect diversion signs if road is under repair/construction and be alert to choose the right lane accordingly so that the flow of traffic remain un-interrupted.

• If any vehicle breaks-down then do help the driver and push the vehicle on road’s corner. This shall help in smooth flow of traffic as an un-attended broken-down vehicle disrupts the traffic and often occupies the right most lane which is meant for overtaking. However, if a public transport vehicle break's down, then better is to choose the next correct lane at the earliest instead of making an attempt to do so after reaching close enough.

• Lastly, Do understand the relevance of every lane on the road. Every lane is there for a purpose.

So friends, I hope the above points would be worth considering in the interest of safe driving and benefit of all the motorists out there. In the end, I just would say a common thing, Lane driving is safest driving.

Always be Alert!

Regards

Akash

Very well done Akash. It seems Akash is on mission to educate everybody on traffic sense and road safety. Do keep it up Akash. You are doing really nice job.

I agree with you on all the points that you have mentioned. I am dreaming about the day when driving on our Indian road would be pleasure and not a mind stressing activity. [evil]

Lane Driving Concept: An Important Practice.
• While driving on the one-way road, keep to the left, let the on-coming traffic pass from right.
Are you trying to say on the road without divider? On one-way road there shouldn't be any on-coming traffic. right?

I would overlook my shoulders and look through the rear door windows while changing lines to check the blind spots
Very true. There is no other practical way to check the blind spot. You have to turn your head over your shoulder and look through the read window glass to check any vehicle is at your blind spot or not. I believe there are plenty of drivers on Indian road who doesn't know what is blind spot. [frustration]

I believe we (government) should act both the ways. Prevention and correction.

Prevention: By making stricter process of getting DL. There must be mandatory theoretical & Practical exams for obtaining DL. I know there is on paper process but I am talking about make it really implemented. Another thing I think is the duration of the validity of the license. I believe in India we get driving license which is valid for 20 years. I think this validity should be reduced to 5 years and every 5 year driving license should be renewed. Upon renewal there should be physical checkup and practical exam if necessary.

Correction: By imposing heavy fine, zero tolerance of violation of traffic rules, point based offense record system, insurance premium attached to driving history.

its not that we dont know, its just that we dont want to , in India we feel pride in breaking rules. Its just that we are not thought about patiently waiting for our turn. be it be a Q in bank, Theater tickets, For that matter even temples, churches we never follow line discipline. so its the same case on roads as well. its like let me get my job done whatever problems i cause to others is none of my concern Until and unless i become victim of the same. This discipline has to be thought from very young age and if we start teaching now probably when we are old we will see these changes happening. I for one strongly believe we at this age are the right people to get in change by teaching our loved ones and our friends about this. be it be lane discipline, garbage disposal, charity, . I may be going off topic here. But discipline is something that we should teach and practise in our lifes and me this place a better world. Thanks Akash for taking one step in this direction. All schools, colleges, various NGo's and Traffic Police as well as police department need to conduct training sessions on road safety and teach all the procedure that needs to be followed while driving. This would Immensely help the community as well as less no of mishaps in turn less no. of loved ones lost in accident.

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Very well done Akash. It seems Akash is on mission to educate everybody on traffic sense and road safety. Do keep it up Akash. You are doing really nice job.
[thumbsup][thumbsup]

Are you trying to say on the road without divider? On one-way road there shouldn't be any on-coming traffic. right?
I am saying this about a scenario in which the service lanes are used on both the sides by drivers. When, the one side of a highway is closed, and the traffic has only side to drive then in that case it is always better and safe to be on the left side of the active lanes i.e close to the divider so that the on coming traffic has no problem. It is also applicable in normal colony roads too buddy.

Regards

Akash

Don't just everyone hate that one person (mostly on 2 wheeler )on the fast lane. They do not budge even with lots of honking. Can't do anything but to warn and undertake them. have seen these clowns even on highways.

Thread Starter #7

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

An important update, Traffic Police of Delhi since yesterday has begun to issue challan for drivers who are not adhering to the lane driving. As of yesterday, about 950 motorists had been given challan.

Source: Radio news.

Regards

Akash

Lane Driving Concept: An Important Practice.[/CENTE
Lane driving is like one of the most important pre-requisite of safe driving and one of the most significant characteristic of a good driver. So, growth of traffic is not in our hands but we can ensure its smooth movement at all times.
• In India the right-most lane is that of over-taking so never occupy that lane for driving at slow speeds. Keep it available for other vehicles to overtake.

• Never drive at slow speeds in the middle lane intentionally. Maintain the prescribed speed limit at all times.
• While driving on the one-way road, keep to the left, let the on-coming traffic pass from right.[/I].​

But in kolkata,and state highways in West Bengal following rule is followed like :- Where road divider is available,new drivers follow the right lane, left lane is for bus,cyclists,cycle vans etc and middle lane is for experts,who frequently change lanes to prove their driving skill.[;)]

Thread Starter #9

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Where road divider is available,new drivers follow the right lane, left lane is for bus,cyclists,cycle vans etc
Lol! Siddharth, You know even my driver, when we cross a local flyway he immediately keeps the car to lane next to divider sighting a silly logic that the car remains safe at least from one side[lol].

Regards

Akash

I agree with you on all the points that you have mentioned. I am dreaming about the day when driving on our Indian road would be pleasure and not a mind stressing activity. [evil]

Very true. There is no other practical way to check the blind spot. You have to turn your head over your shoulder and look through the read window glass to check any vehicle is at your blind spot or not. I believe there are plenty of drivers on Indian road who doesn't know what is blind spot. [frustration]

I believe we (government) should act both the ways. Prevention and correction.

Prevention: By making stricter process of getting DL. There must be mandatory theoretical & Practical exams for obtaining DL. I know there is on paper process but I am talking about make it really implemented. Another thing I think is the duration of the validity of the license. I believe in India we get driving license which is valid for 20 years. I think this validity should be reduced to 5 years and every 5 year driving license should be renewed. Upon renewal there should be physical checkup and practical exam if necessary.

Correction: By imposing heavy fine, zero tolerance of violation of traffic rules, point based offense record system, insurance premium attached to driving history.
Point based system may work to some extent. But in case of insurance premium based on traffic violation may not work since many people drives there vehicle without renewal of insurance. This happens mostly in case of two-wheelers.

Also in rural area people do not bother of having a driving license, documents, traffic violation and most do not properly maintain there vehicles.

If you have been for any official work at any RTO, 70% of the work is done by agent seating outside the office.

This is really pathetic!!!

Nice thread Akash. But, many don't seem to care about traffic rules or good practices. As someone said people take pride in breaking rules - driving wrong side, one-way roads, breaking speed limits etc.

I get particularly annoyed with behavior of busses within city limits - start from the left-most lane to middle or right-most without any consideration to traffic on the move. And just near the bus stop when move to left most lane, again without any consideration about other road users.

In highways too, they enter from service lane at insane speeds and move to right-most lane. I was so annoyed with a bus driver last week, I was planning to make a complaint with highway patrol or nearest police station. But eventually didn't since I wasn't sure if they would really care to act on my compliant - since no damage was caused.

But I feel, things would change soon & police would soon be active on social media as well where public can post violations. For example, Chennai city traffic police is very active on FB (https://www.facebook.com/chennaitrafficpolice) and they respond back in the FB page along with evidence regarding action taken against violators.

Nice thread, Mr. Akash. Very informative [clap]

I believe there are plenty of drivers on Indian road who doesn't know what is blind spot. [frustration]
Correction: Many guys don't even look at/open their ORVMs .

I believe in India we get driving license which is valid for 20 years. I think this validity should be reduced to 5 years and every 5 year driving license should be renewed. Upon renewal there should be physical checkup and practical exam if necessary.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe people older than a certain age (Not sure what), one needs to renew every 5 yrs. (?)

Last edited:
I am glad to see this thread discussing on lane driving manners, My routine highway drive is through a six lane highway and most of the time i've seen overloaded (mostly 2X of defined capacity sometimes 3X too) going at snails speed on high speed lane [frustration] it is so annoying but this is the world where we live. I always leave fast lane after overtaking maneuver to middle lane instead of sticking to right most fast lane.

it is also helpful in emergency scenario where in you have both sides open to escape so chances of survival is increased, i.e. Tyre burst or some "intelligent" fellow coming in opposite direction of ongoing traffic. I always feel safer to drive in middle lane instead of high speed lane.
To share an experience, once I had to ram my car (Innova) on divider when a drunk "Gentleman" decided to cut road from behind a parked truck when I was driving on fast lane. The car met with severe damage but saved "The Gentlemen" to go home in single piece to gulp couple of more drinks.
In a nut shell "Drive safe & be safe"
- Jignesh

Top Bottom