Sunday Evening Ruined. Way Back in December 2009

Thread Starter #1
In another thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...o-i10-nano-fail-crash-test-12.html#post419124 I promised bharathbigb that I'll upload Pics taken after an accident involving my Matiz. I thought it is better to start a new thread on that.

This post is about how safe my old Matiz was. It was a Sunday evening near Mekhri circle, Bangalore. Some expo was happening in the nearby Palace Ground and the traffic was chocked. The traffic cleared after 4 or 5 halts and vehicles ahead of me accelerated; so did I. Within 200-400 m, I saw the Corolla ahead of me braking hard and managed to stop my car a few inches from it. Heaved a sigh of relief and said “hum bach gaya”. Before I could complete that, the Matiz was hit from behind and was pushed into the Corolla. I saw the boot door of Corolla slowly opening. My better half (hated wearing the seat belt) was thrown forward onto the dash board. Her head was cushioned by something she held in her hand and the hands themselves. Luckily, nothing happened to her nor to my little one, but a minor crack (about 3 inches long) appeared on the dash.

What had happened was, a guy had walked his Camel across the road and a driver braked hard, instead of just easing it on. Drivers following that car had a tough time; some stopped safely, some hit others, some were hit. I got out and found that the 2nd car was a Waggy, which had stopped clean. But, Waggy was hit from behind and the driver suffered bleeding in one of his ankles (HOW COME ?); he was soon rushed off to a hospital by someone. Then there was a red Santro (3rd ?). A few inches behind it was a silver Corolla. My silver Matiz was seriously nudging the Corrolla. A grey Honda City was into the Matiz, completing the list. Only the last three cars suffered any significant damages, yet in running condition. You have GOT to believe me, NO angry words were exchanged.

We were told later that driver of the City was doing something with the audio system and did not see the road ahead; both driver and his wife were sorry. Matiz bore the fury of the City; or was it the other way ? After consulting a traffic Cop, we decided to go to the nearby Sadashivanagar Police Station. Gave a statement to the Police. I’ll not elaborate, but one needs to have patience and be persuasive with the Cops. Got their seal and off we went. No phone numbers asked and exchanged.

After a week’s time my car was sent to a nearby mechanic; luckily, nothing was broke, including the lamps, bumper etc. Some patchwork was done on the bumper and a small FRP part (just below the front left headlamp). 10 days later I paid Rs.8000/- and got the car. Repairs included denting, tinkering, painting etc. I’ll now let the Pics talk. I was bloody proud of Matiz after this.

1 Culprit.jpg

2 pileup.jpg

3 Squece.jpg

4 Damage 1.jpg

4 Damage 2.jpg

4 Damage 3.jpg

4 Damage 4.jpg

4 Damage 6.jpg

4 Damage 7.jpg

4 Damage 8.jpg

4 Damage 9.jpg

4 Damage 91.jpg

5 City 1.jpg

5 City 2.jpg

For ref, I'm attaching the front and rear, before the accident.

10. Front 4 Ref.jpg

10. Rear 4 Ref.jpg

The following pics were taken 8 & 9 months after the accident.
1st is Matiz basking in sun, at Hometown:
8 Mnts Ltr in HmTwn.jpg

This was on an early morning on the Pamban Bridge, Rameswaram:
9 Mnts Ltr in Rmwrm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sunday evening ruined, way back in December 2009

I was reading the description on the pics & noticed the culprit for the accident calmly walking away[:)].

I mean what can the guy do he wont have any money only thing he could do was take you on a camel ride,haha.

Reminds me of a garbage auto opening the rear hatch door as my car was passing near my home entrance & damaging both side doors on my car.
The guy got a earful the next day from my mom for fleeing the scene as they were taking a closer look at the car.

You have GOT to believe me, NO angry words were exchanged.

We were told later that driver of the City was doing something with the audio system and did not see the road ahead; both driver and his wife were sorry. Matiz bore the fury of the City; or was it the other way ? After consulting a traffic Cop, we decided to go to the nearby Sadashivanagar Police Station. Gave a statement to the Police. I’ll not elaborate, but one needs to have patience and be persuasive with the Cops. Got their seal and off we went. No phone numbers asked and exchanged.
Well its rare to see people take an accident as the word means an accident & stay calm & forgiving.

I want to mention what happened to my friend a couple of weeks back,he had left Bangalore & was nearing Chennai when he braked at an obstacle,his car got rear ended by a merc, now the merc guy requests my friend to a nearby station,at this point merc guy demands 55k & cops are more supportive to merc guy cos he drops some local names & my friend is from diff state. After a few hours my friend gets frustrated gives 55k to the cheapstake merc guy & comes. Even though law dictates person from behind is at fault.

Thread Starter #3

... noticed the culprit for the accident calmly walking away[:)].
I mean what can the guy do he wont have any money only thing he could do was take you on a camel ride,haha...
That's hilarious[lol]. In reality none of us spoke to him.

... Reminds me of a garbage auto opening the rear hatch door ... damaging both side doors on my car ... fleeing the scene ...
Sorry to hear that. If he had said sorry and meant it you would have forgiven him same day.

... merc guy demands 55k ... After a few hours my friend gets frustrated gives 55k to the cheapstake merc guy & comes. Even though law dictates person from behind is at fault. ...
That's really sad. I wish Police supports the ones on the right side of law a bit more. That "bit more" happened to me once. A couple on a scooter accused me of dangerously overtaking from the left. A traffic cop from the signal ahead came, assessed and asked the couple, "Where is the space to drive FAST in this traffic ? And, where are your rear view mirrors ? You have to WAIT for Gaps to change lane. Madam, keep your legs close to scooter. Yeh apki ghar nahi hain". There are plenty of decent Cops like him. Let's pray they grow more in numbers.

Were the bonnet and the tailgate repaired via denting itself?

That's amazing.

I can understand the damage that the City has taken, it happens in the tailgating given that the vehicle hitting you from behind isn't an SUV. Still, it is remarkable for the baby car.

Thread Starter #5
Were the bonnet and the tailgate repaired via denting itself?

That's amazing.

I can understand the damage that the City has taken, it happens in the tailgating given that the vehicle hitting you from behind isn't an SUV. Still, it is remarkable for the baby car.
Haan ji. Only denting n tinkering was done to restore them. The mechanic guys are good. A known taxi driver recommended them. About the 2nd part in your post: Thanks Vipul, I was not aware of it. I thought that Honda made it flimsy for more mileage. Stupid me.

Sorry to hear that. If he had said sorry and meant it you would have forgiven him same day.
Ya the guy collects garbage for a living what can i ask from the guy,it cost me 4000 odd for painting & tinkering. Its just a helpless situation. I paid 18k bill recently cos a tree branch landed on my parked car,insurance amount is yet to come,hope i get some 15k back. But moral of the story is to keep a car one can financial maintain.

That's really sad. I wish Police supports the ones on the right side of law
Ya cops cant be too friendly either i have seen new cops say "Sir there is no parking here" & getting a rude replies on MG road. The kind of people they face make them rude i feel. As long as they are persistent in maintaining law & peace, then am quite happy with it.

As for my friend he had the car transported back to Bangalore for repairs & was cursing the Merc guy endlessly with me,as the merc guy was excessively speeding ,was way behind & completely at fault. Although he spoke big & drove an expensive car he was cheap at the same time.
My friend is easily 1 lakh down the drain ,thanks to his own car bills&transportation(insurance pays only a part), cab for his passengers to be sent to Chennai & the 55k he paid to the Villain.

Thread Starter #7

Ya the guy collects garbage for a living what can i ask from the guy,it cost me 4000 odd for painting & tinkering. Its just a helpless situation. I paid 18k bill recently cos a tree branch landed on my parked car,insurance amount is yet to come,hope i get some 15k back. But moral of the story is to keep a car one can financial maintain.
That's really nice of you; about the garbage collecting man. Little painted to hear about your repeated troubles. And, it's a golden gem - have a car one can maintain - is.

... My friend is easily 1 lakh down the drain...
As my Ins is due soon, had a chat with HDFC Ergo guy, with your friend becoming my friend. Summary of his reply "Your friend is insured for 3rd part damages too. No police can demand the vehicle to be left at their premises (???) on such cases. Both parties can have a joint statement which need not be endorsed by police (???). You give your insurance copy to him and move out. You can argue with police on this vehemently; why am I having a 3rd party insurance; I will not give any money to anyone (blah blah blah). Then take your car to service station; within 3-4 days our surveyor will visit and give estimate. In the case of zero Dep, You'll have to pay a processing fee of 1500 only". I hope these were true. I'm meeting him in a couple of days time to read his eyes.

Top Bottom