Front & Rear Seat Belts Now Mandatory in Kerala

Thread Starter #1
Kerala Transport Commissioner has issued orders that all passengers travelling in the motor vehicles, which have been fitted with seat belts, both in the front and rear seat to wear seat belt compulsory.
Road Safety Commissioner Rishi Raj Singh, who is also the State Transport Commissioner, said all Regional Transport Officers had been asked to carryout checks to book the offenders.
According to a recent World Health Organisation report, India has the highest number of road deaths in the world - 105,725 in 400,000 accidents, followed by China (96,611), the US (42,642) and Russia (35,972). Of these deaths, 25 percent can be avoided by wearing seat belts.
The violation of provisions of rule 138 (3) would constitute an offence punishable under Section 177 of the MV Act of 1988 and would attract a fine of Rs.100 for first offence and up to Rs.300 for second and subsequent offence. Those violating the rule will also be booked under Section 184 of the MV Act for dangerous driving.
The Commissioner had issued necessary orders to all Regional Transport Offices in the state that strict checks should be initiated in this regard, a release said here today( 4th June 2014).
The Transport Commissioner also said, citing the experts opinion, that the impact of the accident could be possible to reduce by 95 per cent if the passengers wear seat belts.
Seat belts mandatory | Kerala News # 62515

Last edited:
Re: Kerala makes Seat belts mandatory( Front and Rear)

this is a good move. Safety Commissioner Mr.Rishi Raj Singh has taken many steps to catch hold of the traffic violators.

Public can connect with the police through Whatsapp, to report traffic violations.

Report Traffic Violations to Police Thorough Whatsapp, Kerala police in whatsapp, whatsapp kerala police, traffic police kerala whatsapp, whatsapp police kerala, Commissioner of Police Trivandrum, Deputy Commissioner of Police Trivandrum, IG Trivandr

Kerala makes Seat belts mandatory( Front and Rear)

great move.! it would pump up safety thereby reducing injuries during accidents. front seat belts are fine but I doubt to what extent does the rear seat belts concept work. we can appreciate the fact that more passengers would occupy the rear seats than planned sometimes including kids. fastening seat belts in the rear surely increases safely and should be followed. no doubt about it though.

Great move. Kudos to Rishi raj Singh. Though I don't know how many people will be doing it. People with grannys as passengers, they'll be having a hard time with the seat belts.

Re: Kerala makes Seat belts mandatory( Front and Rear)

Now that feels like Safety is becoming important.
Hope this becomes mandatory all over India soon.

Again the famous or infamous JEEPS (the likes of MM540s...) would dodge from this rule.

They are one of the major accident makers in ghat sections and anybody who have seen the way these jeeps are driven left,right and centre in the ghat sections with atleast 15 people onbord would realise what i am talking about.

While welcoming the hard and fast rules on account of public safety, we should ensure that the law holds good for everyone.

I can't remember precisely but I'm quite sure this is the second time Kerala has introduced a smart motor safety rule ahead of the other states.

Waiting for this to finally be implemented countrywide, it's only one step away from making it compulsory for all vehicles (Especially school buses) to have seat belts fitted in the back too.

love this. really good move. but the following points also to be noted. hope the officials look into it.

1. when this rule is implemented for cars, the same has to be implemented with small trucks and big trucks too.
2.the same has to be extended to bus driver and passengers. Some bus has but never been used.
3.when it comes to car's, seat belt indication has to be mandatory in all variants. I r ember those days that rear center re light was not there. today I heard it's a mandatory and all vehicles has thar.

Top Bottom