Positive Strokes: An Initiative To Appreciate & Develop Good Road Users in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
I got to know about this initiative thru a Facebook page called Driving Around in Bangalore. The person managing that page videos the traffic issues, messes all possible bottlenecks in Bangalore. The initiative was basically to identify the positive behavior on the road and reward them to promote such good behavior. In simple terms, this is just the other way of finding and penalizing violators, which is done by the Traffic Police. This initiative (Positive Strokes | Children's Movement for Civic Awareness) is conceived and developed by an individual, Anusha Jaishankar, in association with CMCA (Children's Movement for Civic Awareness) and supported by BTP (Bangalore Traffic Police). I liked the program for it's uniqueness and signed up as a volunteer. I must appreciate Ms. Anusha for being so thoughtful and developing such an unique program. We most often get away with the bads and forget to appreciate the good.

The program consist of 2 sessions as follows.
  1. Volunteers to visit the Traffic Management Center of Bangalore Traffic Police and use their systems to identify such good road users thru the Traffic Signal Cameras placed across Bangalore in about 175 signals. Volunteers were given access to any of the signals that are in use. The cameras were so good that it can Pan, Tilt and Zoom 360' till the ground level and can take pictures, crystal clear! We were to identify such users, take pictures of them including the vehicle registration number and update the data with the pics on the good behavior that was observed. As it's in the signal, we could find behaviors like stopping before the stop line, using helmet / seat belt, using indicators / lane discipline etc.

BTP will then verify such short-listed users' track record for the last 6 months for any violations. Thus filtered list will then be verified for the updated address in the RTO records. Users cleared of these 2 filters shall be issued a Commendation Letter along with a Vehicle Sticker exhibiting them to be a Good Road User. So, it's something to be "earned"! Amazing, isn't it? I was able to pick just 6 cases in about 2 hours time. Believe me guys, finding violators was so easy that you can pick at least 10 cases in a minute. This was extremely difficult! Yeah, that's what we are... Some pics to talk about the technologies BTP has got.

2014-04-12 12.07.29.jpg

2014-04-12 12.07.43.jpg

2014-04-12 12.07.56.jpg

2014-04-12 12.08.09.jpg

2014-04-12 12.08.23.jpg
  2. The second session was a Junction Event on Apr 26th @ Cauvery Arts & Crafts Junction at the intersection of MG Road and Brigade Road. The event was to Spot Commendations by Volunteers to good road users. The commendation included a small gift of a bag, with some information on Positive Strokes, CMCA etc. The chief guests were Mr. Dayananda, I.P.S (Additional Commissioner of Police – Traffic) and Mr. Bhaskar Bhat, MD, Titan Company Ltd. Media coverage was done by most of the TV channels / Press. PFB some of the link. We were able to identify and reward about 100 people on that day in about 2 hours.

Pics to do that talk -

2014-04-26 10.35.32.jpg

2014-04-26 10.36.51.jpg

2014-04-26 10.36.57.jpg

2014-04-26 10.35.45.jpg

2014-04-26 10.35.55.jpg

2014-04-26 10.37.02.jpg

2014-04-26 10.48.31.jpg

More pics available in BTP page, will get it soon.

On the whole, it was a very positive initiative and going to be an ongoing one in a gap for 3 months. We could see many people appreciating us on the junction event, some stopped by and started taking pictures of the volunteers. I personally enjoyed it much and would urge TAI to take part in the forth coming events. Moreover, the pleasure of seeing myself in the New Paper (The Hindu) was immeasurable. We being an Automotive Forum, supporting such initiative would be a value add. Let's get together for a good cause!

BTW, be watchful while on Bangalore roads. You could be the one too! [:D]

Re: Positive Strokes - An Initiative to Appreciate & Develop Good Road Users in Banga

Great initiative and well supported by BTP. Hope the momentum continues.

And kudos to Figoan for being part of the initiative. [clap]

Top Bottom