Owning a New Sedan After Learning the Driving

Thread Starter #1
Recently I learnt the LMV Driving and took the Licence as a part of the learning process through a decent Driving School. I learnt driving in a Ritz. I personally don't like hatch backs, and not ready to try with old sedans also. Hence I booked a Honda City 2014 model.

I'm confident enough to drive on highway and traffic areas. What are the necessary precautions I need to take while driving on Highways and in Bumper to Bumper traffic areas. I learnt the Defensive Driving Technique (DDT) also to do SAFE Driving.

Your Suggestions & views pls...![confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for Honda City. [:)]
Do not worry much, Drive Safe and enjoy your ride.
BTW what is DDT? Please elaborate.

Thread Starter #3
Congrats for Honda City. [:)]
Do not worry much, Drive Safe and enjoy your ride.
BTW what is DDT? Please elaborate.
It's all about driving safe by keeping the speed, lane, visibility, etc. Lots of materials available in Google both Indian & international levels. Some of the techniques...
1. 3 second rule.
2. Speed Vs Distance
3. Reaction Time of Driver
4. Reaction Time Vs Danger Levels
5. Inspection of your vehicles (which is basic)
6. Don't Drink & Drive,
7. Don't Use mobile phone while driving
8. Phele AAP.

If anybody wants more. I'm ready to share.

The DDT has all the rules for a expert and good driver. if every one follows this, our roads will be a safe. from my perspective, you have learnt all the rules and there is nothing much left.

Thread Starter #5
Yesterday took the Test Drive of Honda City i-DTEC. It's a first Test Drive of Mine, first Test Drive of Honda City, First Test drive of a Sedan. First time having FULL controls with me to drive.

It was awesome experience. Already booked a V MT i-DTEC, and still waiting (3 months were over) to take delivery. With this situation went to my dealer asked for Test Drive, my SA given the City. Taken the Honda City to the one of the busiest route (Pondicherry to Cuddalore on East Coast Road). She is moving like butter on the hot tava. Steering response was very good. I can command her very well in the busy road. Amazingly she responds very well. My confidence is improved in owning a brand new Honda City as my first Car. SA also said I'm not driving like a Learner.

Auto climate control was very noisy in Test drive vechicle. When I engaged R gear, the vechicle started moving FRONT direction for 2 times. SA also tried, for him also same status. Then I ran another 10 mtrs forward, Now engaged R gear. Now it worked clearly. Reversing with camera, feeling very comfortable.

SA given almost given a 10km distance to get confident. Really felt happy to own a Honda City.

Thread Starter #6
I took the delivery of Honda City i-DTEC on 9-July-2014 [:D] around 7PM in the evening.

D.Day
After the delivery, Immediately rain started. So I opted for a driver from Dealer to drop my city to my home which around 10KM far from the Dealer.

Planned to put a proper L board instead of cheap RED tape.

Day 1
I took the key @ 7:30 Am in the morning and drove for 190 KMS with the mileage of 23.3KMPL in Honda City Diesel (ARAI is 25KMPL), to various place of Pondicherry which is having a heavy traffic jams. Then drove to our family temple. After the drove thru the city area, gained the full confidence.

After 190 KMs decided not put the L Board.

While driving @ 20KMPH, LHS ORVM touced 3 person's hand. I have not looked back about 2 person, I asked sorry to the one. Feeling blessed as I don't had any major problem.

Total KMs Driven is 190 KMs.

Day 2
Total KM driven is 290. Travelled in City Bumper to Bumper, improper road condition, Villange Road, NH, SH and first Night Driving of around 90 KMS. Not even had a single issue. I'm happy about my performance. [:D]

Last edited:
First of all congrats for your new car and driving license.[clap]
As you said you said sorry to one person out of three. Please be a gentleman and try to say sorry next time if similar things happens again, as it will cost you nothing brother. Stay safe ,wish you happy miles ahead.

Congrats on your City. Wish you safe happy miles.

Driving a big sedan is difficult but judgement comes with practice. Couple of tips -

Always use both ORVMs
Judge the rear and front corners carefully.
If you have doubt if the car will not pass in a gap simply stop, let other vehicle pass first.

Thread Starter #10
As you said you said sorry to one person out of three. Please be a gentleman and try to say sorry next time if similar things happens again, as it will cost you nothing brother. Stay safe ,wish you happy miles ahead.
The first 2 were old man who were walking on the roads, not giving a way even after full Honking. (Little bit feared, it was in a village area. I asked my navigator to see the condition of the old mans. They were walking normally. So I felt OK.). 3rd is a young guy, most part of the mistake is from my side. So I asked Sorry.

Driving a big sedan is difficult but judgement comes with practice. Couple of tips -

Always use both ORVMs
If you have doubt if the car will not pass in a gap simply stop, let other vehicle pass first.
Only ORVM (Left one [evil]) is making a trouble for me. I have sarted following your tips from the moment I enter into the car.

But I found the reaseon why left ORVM creating issue for me. I used to drive almost in left side in my bike, unless it requires a right side. Old Habbits never changes so easily. I drive my car also to the left side. [frustration]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Day 3

Drive through the City, Village, High Way, Bumper o Bumper traffic. Total KM was 150. Not even a single issue.[:D]

Day 4
Not sat on the driver seat. I hired a driver to drive down my car from Pondicherry to Hyderabad. After so much pushing and scolding from family members, I accepted for driver Hire.

The driver drove the entire route. He was not knowing the route to Hyderabad. I have to sit in the navigator seat and guide him. Anyway again I'm going to drive in this road for several times. So I gave to my driver to enjoy my new City. [;)]

Day 5

Car was parked in Cellar of our apartment due to non-availability of space in G floor. Our cellar ramp was so steep, I scared little bit to take the vehicle outside. Asked my driver to take and keep it outside.

I tried parking G floor which is allocated for us. Position is a car can be parked. Left side wall, right side a beam. (i'm not able to explain the location very well). I made scrath of the leftside rear door for the entire door length with a dent. I scolded myself for doing this mistake. [anger] But not worried too much because it will continiue. But I will put all my effort to save my car in god condition.

Now I taken to the car to service center in Hyderabd for 1st service.

Note: 1. This post was posted sitting on a Service center.
2. Somebody can ask why I'm posting all my experiences? Because when I planned to purcase a sedan after driving, lot of people said go for Pre-owned, Hatchback. ButI loved Sedan very much. I searched a lot for others experience owning a sedan after learning the driving. I could not get any details. Hence I created this thread. So if anybody wants input they can refer and decide.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Congrats on the City. Please do start the ownership thread with loads of snaps.

Always use both ORVMs
Congrats for Honda City :) Wish you a very safe driving. Enjoy it and be attentive while you drive on the road.
Thanks a lot for yor wishes and suggestions.

it is good idea to hire a driver for highway drives untill you are not confident enough. keep driving in less traffic and wider roads and gain the confidence. always try to judge the gap with your car's width and length in your mind. observe your driver when he pass through the tight gaps it will give you idea how much space your car need to pass through the gaps. If there is free parking space with marking available nearby , you can practice there , but be careful while parking in tight space between two cars. Don't hesitate to take help while parking( hand signals from person stood in front or behind of your car).

Last edited:
Congratulations for Honda City
One of the most desirable car in India.

There's no replacement for practice and experience. The more you practice better you are.
Always keep track of ORVM(both side) while negotiating a tight turn.
It is always good to look ORVM(just for a short while) to how close your car was in a turn.
Anything doubtful, seek opinion from your co passenger or outside folks.

Drive Safe buddy

Top Bottom