Applying Speed Restrictions on Indian Vehicles By Design

Thread Starter #1
As an auto enthusiast, nothing gives me greater pleasure than to drive my cars on a good stretch of road, enjoying the power and the dynamic control . The thrill of driving a Linea on an expressway at 120kph or on a winding ghat road has to be experienced , it cannot be described. Or the absolutely silent smooth running of my Micra CVT at 80 kph, requiring only 1.7K RPM. But we have to awaken to realities .

Sample this:Highway Accidents - Andhra Pradesh State, India (Viewer Discretion Advised) - YouTube

I am sure that you would agree this scene repeats itself all over India on a daily basis. This 9 minute video is a snapshot of the sheer recklessness of the Indian driving mindset. No amount of traffic rule or policing would change the will of the driver to commit rash acts. The only way to do this is to implement a strong deterrent in the form of hard-wired control on speed.

We need to have speed limits on all vehicles registered in India , right from scooters to 18 wheel container trucks and everything in between.
For all two wheelers upto 150cc, the limits should be 60kph. For 150cc and above, 80 kph.
For all commercial vehicles cargo/passenger, the speed limit should be 60kph.
For private cars its should be as follows

1) upto 800cc, its should be 60kph,
2) 800cc up to 1000cc -80kph
3) 1000cc to 1200cc - 100kph
4) Above 1200cc, 120 kph.
In addition, there should be weight-related parameters applied. Cars which have a kerb weight of greater than 1200kg will be restricted to 100kph. Those with kerb weight of greater than 1500kg and passenger capacity of more than 5 seats, will be restricted to 80kph.

This brings 75% of cars in the market restricted to speeds of 100kph. Most of these cars in any case do not conform to international safety standards with respect to crash safety.

The only exception to these must be emergency vehicles such as police, fire , ambulance and of course, Military.

Any tampering/bypassing of speed control systems should result in impounding of the vehicle and fine/imprisonment/revoking of driving license..

For the next 10 years, until our road infrastructure improves, vehicle safety standards are rigorously implemented , and data collection of vehicles in terms of registration, driving violations etc are effectively in place, these hard-limits must be expressly enforced.
They can then by lifted on a streamlined basis afterwards.
I know most people will think its a crazy idea , but at least it will curb some of the accidents.

Last edited:
Pros:
  • This is a bold step towards instilling externally induced discipline among our drivers who show recklessness and irresponsibility sometimes.
  • Surely this will bring down our accident rates too.
  • Over the period of time, drivers will accept it as they see the fruits of benefits
  • Upholding traffic law on speed by ensuring companies stick to speed restrictions
  • Owing to slower driving, road conditions would also be good requiring less maintenance.
Cons:
  • Initially it may appear impractical
  • Drivers resent

The idea of this thread is unique .But I do not support you in the implementation of speed restriction . Let us see ,what you had given, the example from the video clip.If you watch video clip correctly you will find that the location is made for accidents[angry]. A four lane high way with full access from all sides. It is a recipe for disaster. Add to that no traffic signals (No humps to slow down :I don't support humps though) A driver coming from any side needs to be careful about 5 different directions. Which is practically impossible. Similar to this the speed restrictions on engine cc and weight is also impractical .The main reason is highways are used to get from city A to city B. Any way all our cities are chocked with traffic. If you want speed restrictions then whats the point in having efficient cars.As per your calculations all the SUVs will be running below 80 Kmph! Our mentality needs to change. Instead of restrictions why dont we have better roads and better planned infrastructure. The one who have designed/made the above intersection must be prosecuted. It applies from the PWD engineer to the contractor.
If you see the road there is enough space to make an over head road or underground road so that the highway users are spared this tragedy. The issue is looking to the details while designing.

And how long will you restrict ? See the umpteen number of idiotic laws in our country .From sun films to mobiles everything is restricted.This shows the attitude of governance where the government is unable to provide infrastructure or protection to society and put restrictions over restrictions. You pay tax over tax and tolls for what ? [rules]

Any way I don't want to deviate from the topic ,let me stop here by saying don't take up this idea of restrictions. Free ways are the only roads that are available to drive happily. Do not stop that too.

Thread Starter #5
This clip basically highlights the lack of discipline in Indian driving habits. The location is just an example. The idea in no way, throttles traffic. In fact it doesn't affect any stakeholder negatively. No manufacturer in India markets high speed capability of its cars. They all emphasise utility, economy and comfort. In fact a side effect of restricting speed will be lower fuel consumption in general.
All countries in the world impose speed restrictions barring a
some unique exceptions. This proposal aims to merely enforce these since this part is the achilles heel.

The idea of this thread is unique .But I do not support you in the implementation of speed restriction . Let us see ,what you had given, the example from the video clip.If you watch video clip correctly you will find that the location is made for accidents[angry]. A four lane high way with full access from all sides. It is a recipe for disaster. Add to that no traffic signals (No humps to slow down :I don't support humps though) A driver coming from any side needs to be careful about 5 different directions. Which is practically impossible. Similar to this the speed restrictions on engine cc and weight is also impractical .The main reason is highways are used to get from city A to city B. Any way all our cities are chocked with traffic. If you want speed restrictions then whats the point in having efficient cars.As per your calculations all the SUVs will be running below 80 Kmph! Our mentality needs to change. Instead of restrictions why dont we have better roads and better planned infrastructure. The one who have designed/made the above intersection must be prosecuted. It applies from the PWD engineer to the contractor.
If you see the road there is enough space to make an over head road or underground road so that the highway users are spared this tragedy. The issue is looking to the details while designing.

You are absolutely right . Near my town while the construction for the highway was going on myself felt at some points there should be a over bridge but it was omitted and in one of that intersections had a fatal accident and lost 14 lives in a single accident [frustration] and then till now there are plenty of life lost there still no over bridge or no sign of it .Let the designers all go to hell

Top Bottom