Mobile Phone Usage While Driving - Tough Law in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Caught driving while on phone will cost you your licence - rule would also apply to people taking calls on bluetooth through the car's entertainment system

Motorists who use their mobile phones while riding/driving will probably top surveys of the most annoying habits of road users. The problem is a relatively new one — only witnessed in the last five years or so, police say — but it has burgeoned so rapidly that it has become the single most vexatious issue for traffic police. They say it contributes significantly to the average traffic speed being a measly16 to 20 kmph (on weekdays).
Caught driving and on phone will cost you your licence - Bangalore Mirror

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Mobile phone usage - tough law in Bangalore

That's a strict law. But not allowing to speak via car's bluetooth is nuts. If police is concerned about lack of attention while talking they should know there are n number of things which can divert the attention of the driver And not just talking on phone via bluetooth.

Driver's attention can be diverted while talking to the passengers at the back. So should this be banned?

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

Bluetooth or headset talking should be allowed. idiotic laws of India as always.

anyways, cops won't recognize if someone is talking on Bluetooth I think. these ARE sold as a safety accessory I've seen.

Yes I saw this yesterday, but the rule against BT is absolutely non sense. My car is BT enabled, and if I talk to people with windows up how will police catch me in the act ?.

Before firing against the rule ,just think for a while. This is not new .This type of unrealistic law have been introduced for some time. If you know the Bangalore traffic, average speed is between 30-40Kmph inside city limits .If seat belts are not worn you are fined. This is for awareness(?) . People are using head phones inside the car (mainly taxi cab drivers) to communicate .This can create distraction in driving.Now police had gone ahead two steps and banned complete use of any tele communication while driving. The conclusion that a person thinking and talking while driving is a complex mental ability is what we must understand from this rule [clown]. Similar to a rule,where a rape happened in a bus in Delhi ,all the sun films are to be removed from the small cars . I think this is why the goddess of law is always shown with black cloth on eyes.[cheers]. This world is turning to something else with more rules and less logic!

Similar to a rule,where a rape happened in a bus in Delhi ,all the sun films are to be removed from the small cars .
True , all cars were ripped off of sun films and I can see the buses still merrily running with black glasses (not films) which are absolutely more than permissible limits.

BTW the rule was implemented in May 2012 and the incident happened in Nov 2012.

These kind of laws have been doing rounds for sometime now. Doesn't really make sense. You ban tinted glasses because somebody was raped in a bus ? What do you think ? And now this. Give me a break. I can understand when you tell that license will be seized when you talk with the phone on your ears. But even on BT ?!?!?!?!
I feel they make such laws only to get that extra 100 bucks when people are caught. With windows rolled up the cops won't know. If you(govt) are smart then we are too. We will find out a way to cheat you [;)]

These kind of laws have been doing rounds for sometime now. Doesn't really make sense. You ban tinted glasses because somebody was raped in a bus ? What do you think ? And now this. Give me a break. I can understand when you tell that license will be seized when you talk with the phone on your ears. But even on BT ?!?!?!?!
I feel they make such laws only to get that extra 100 bucks when people are caught. With windows rolled up the cops won't know. If you(govt) are smart then we are too. We will find out a way to cheat you [;)]
Smart guy!!!
They will enforce a law that all the glasses must be rolled down while driving .Or you are not supposed to talk at all while driving. This can go to any extent[lol].poor car owners!

Smart guy!!!
They will enforce a law that all the glasses must be rolled down while driving .Or you are not supposed to talk at all while driving. This can go to any extent[lol].poor car owners!
Who are they to tell me I cant roll up my windows ? i am not his driver. On alighter note, to tackle it, this can be the reply
Sir.Due to heavy pollution in the city, I get asthma if I roll the windows down. I will have breathing problem (and then breathe heavy)[;)]

Smart guy!!!
They will enforce a law that all the glasses must be rolled down while driving .Or you are not supposed to talk at all while driving. This can go to any extent.poor car owners!
Who are they to tell me I cant roll up my windows ? i am not his driver. On alighter note, to tackle it, this can be the reply
Sir.Due to heavy pollution in the city, I get asthma if I roll the windows down. I will have breathing problem (and then breathe heavy)[;)]
What is the meaning of buying an AC car then ? [frustration]

This rule is a right step taken in right direction, but with a nonsense addon. Talking on phone while driving is a nuisance, agreed. But if its done through BT/ car entertainment system, its similar to talking to fellow passenger.
Occasional bans on sun film does nothing but boosts trade for people related with the industry. I removed sun film from my car when ban was imposed and decided I wont put them up again. And soon after the ban, I saw one hatchback parked near Yelahanka RTO with jet black tints. Our system and people never fail to P*ss me off.

Its really a good initiative. There are many Taxi's who drive with phone in one hand in Bangalore. But its a dumb decision to catch those who use BT handsfree.

Its really a good initiative. There are many Taxi's who drive with phone in one hand in Bangalore. But its a dumb decision to catch those who use BT handsfree.
Dont worry police never catch taxi drivers however rash they drive or what ever they do on road. Same goes for BMTC drivers and maxi cabs drivers.

Their only target is to milk innocent 2W and 4W private car drivers who will not argue and pay up easily.

Well, this is a rule much indeed, at least in a city like Bangalore where you can see almost everyone on phone while driving / riding. However, restricting BT thru ICE is step ahead than stupidity. Yup, this isn't any new as we have seen more worse judgement like Sun Film Ban.

In general, talking on phone cannot be compared with talking to a fellow passenger in the car as the former needs thinking and imagination, which is not the case otherwise. Believe it or not, our facial expressions, actions, body language changes while on phone than in person. Noticed ever? Because, we get deep in to the conversation with the person on phone as it's not face to face. So, it attracts a lot of our attention for sure. And thus while driving, it's not permissible. In many occasions, if a vehicle ahead is slow than normal, undecided between two lanes, or inconsistent in someway or other, I guessed the driver is on phone and all the times my guess was perfect.

So, am I against BT thru ICE? Definitely not. It's a boon for us and one of the reason for me to choose Figo [;)] But, as a responsible citizen, we should restrict it only to the necessities and emergencies and keep the calls as shortest as possible.

BTW, if as per Mr. Dayanand, talking on BT thru ICE is illegal, why the hell RTOs allow BT in ICE which has been a USP these days? As usual deferred thoughts or the Police and RTOs don't talk to each other?! [lol]

Top Bottom