Wearables and Their Effect on Driving

Thread Starter #1
Day after day I am watching people and their growing affinity for wearables while driving. This makes them chaoic and idiots, but they dont mind. let me jot down a few points

1. headphones / earphones - riding a bike / driving a car, headphones are always on. In cars atleast you can hear from the music system. But because ears are blocked by these, they dont listen to horns, cannot judge a high rev in lower gear, and no sense on what is going around them in road.

2. bluetooth set - as if if you dont speak, you cannot drive. Why is multitasking required? And while talking they dont concentrate on driving and it becomes responsibility of other alert drivers around to not bang into him/her

3. shades - in sunlight it makes sense, but then I do have seen people wearing it in pinch darkness just because it is a style statement. GOD!!!

4. lack of spects - i found even my friend doing this. He wears spects regularly, but while driving he keeps the specs in bag, and the logic behind is, hey i can see perfectly to a distance. And in fact i have seen many people to do the same. Just because of their poor judgement because of lack of good vision while driving, they become nuisance on road

5. mobile phones - though not a wearable by definition, it has become like one over the years. People talk on phone, thats bad but the most annoying thing is when you see someone messaging while driving

I thought of venting out my frustration. Thanbks for listening, and go ahead and pour in yours [clap]. Just kidding, but it is high time we educate people around us to not do the same.

IMO blue tooth is not a bad thing. It just reduces the risk of taking an important call while while driving. Its bad just to talk as one is driving but not to take an important call while driving.

you are absolutely correct in you statement with the use of headphones.:)

Thread Starter #3
IMO blue tooth is not a bad thing. It just reduces the risk of taking an important call while while driving. Its bad just to talk as one is driving but not to take an important call while driving.

you are absolutely correct in you statement with the use of headphones.:)
why is bluetooth not a bad thing? Why does one need to talk while driving. What is so urgent that one puts himself and everyone around at risk. Driving needs full concentration and it should be given.

Dear Icecool.

Personally i prefer not to talk while on driving(however my bluetooth was lying in my car without regular use).

But for some emergency situations bluetooth was much handy in the below scenarios.

some professinals like doctors etc. need to attend some unexpected calls from hospitals to save the life of some critical patients without any advance intimation.

People have to attend some calls from their home for some emergency situations.

We are in a traffic jam and recieved some important call. It is not always possible to drive it aside and park the car and receive the call or respond back to the call.

Last edited:
When ever I ride my bike, my bluetooth is always on (stereo). I use it mainly to listen music at low volume and protect the heavy honking sound from external (As good as keeping a bud on ear). I hear even low turn indicator sound too when i listen music. I do not keep in high volume as it may affect me from listening other sounds.

When I am driving car, I do not use bluetooth or attend calls as I am not comfortable (or worried of loosing concentration). In closed windows with AC and if i divert my attention to phone, I do not want to take risk. I ask my wife to pick the call. I turn on the music system at low volume though

I am completely against keeping the phone inside the helmet / riding with one hand / driving with one hand and another one on phone etc. That is more dangerous than bluetooth usage !
Playing music on high volume is dangerous than bluetooth i believe

I do not know whether it is coincidence. Yesterday evening I forgot to take my bluetooth headset while leaving office. Oh My God. It was like hell ! Honking with big big horns from all the sides , and i completely got mad & even thought of parking on side & get into a volvo. Same case today morning too.

Even if you do not hear music, it helps you from heavy honking and you can concentrate on road. If govt ban bluetooth/music listening, I will put a cotton piece in ear to protect my ear from these loud noise !

Top Bottom