Learning To Drive on Non Power Steering Cars

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I want to learn driving and for that I'll get into a driving school in our locality. But the cars they have are without power steering. As all the new cars has got power steering. So will learning without power steering create any problem when driving a car with power steering? Or actually should we learn without power steering?

Ps: sorry for title not being completed, actually pressed submit button by mistake.

Last edited:
Re: Learning driving without power w

So will learning without power steering create any problem when driving a car with power steering? Or actually should we learn without power steering?
It doesn't matter either you learn driving with/without PS.
Learning with manual steering will get you more confidence in future when you are supposed to drive / handle a old car / jeep.

Re: Learning driving without power w

There is no major difference between them .Power Steering makes driving easier .

Re: Learning driving without power steering

w/ or w/o Power Steering and effect of learning - totally non-related. I learnt driving a jeep, then M800, then in my Alto. So even change of car itself doesn't matter but increases learing curve. Example - I unerstood the steering control difference in Jeep vs Alto (In jeep, I had to rotate steering all the time but in Alto sometimes - may be because the Jeep was quite old but Alto was brand new). But yes, that gave me good steering control when I started learning in my Alto.

The steering control learning is to adjust with the ply(free running) of the steering wheel. Any ordinary car you take it,the ply will be different in different cars.The best way to learn driving is without a power steering.This helps you to learn about the steering feedback and in case you have to drive an old vehicle without power steering you will not be feeling dumb.

Wish you to be a good and sensible driver !

its better that you learn in a vehicle without ps as you get a better feed back and beside it also aids in developing bulging shoulders and biceps [:D]

i learnt driving in a my uncles mahindra 540 and then on mahinda armada. in both these vehicles, you need to give a constant input to keep it in a straight line and also the brake pedal is there just for the name sake. then after getting license i practiced in my neighbors tata 407 before buying my M 800. I can say after driving all the vehicles i got under graduate degree in driving.

if possible learn in a jeep, you will gain a lot of experience.

Choose santro if possible . It is best for learners as far as i think .

Thread Starter #11

Choose santro if possible . It is best for learners as far as i think .
1 problem regarding santro, at nearby driving school maruti 800, alto and ambassador are available. So I am thinking about alto. All cars are without ps.

Choose Ambassador - you will learn to handle sedan car from beginning and also you feel quite comfortable with big bonnet car after that.

BTW that Amby they offer for learning, that come with biting point (Half Clutch) right ? I hard from a trainer Older Amby lacks the feature...(Correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

BTW that Amby they offer for learning, that come with biting point (Half Clutch) right ? I hard from a trainer Older Amby lacks the feature...(Correct me if I'm wrong).
Sorry mate, I am a complete newbie, so don't have any idea about that.

choose ambassador.it's one of the difficult sedans and also has lot of blind spots that are enough to train you.

Hope that you don't wreck ambassador as most experienced drivers sometimes have problem driving it . Choose anything from maruti stable and choose another brand car after some time if you wish to .

Top Bottom