Traffic Mess in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
I'm starting this thread for all Bangaloreans who drive/ride in Banglore's peak traffic. Though Bangalore is IT Capitol, Silicon Valley of India, its infrastructure is very poor. To begin with roads are narrow, filled with potholes and famous speed breakers for almost every single kilometer. If there is a two lane road, left lane will e used for parking vehicles and you can definitely see some hole dug for OFC/Water/Underground Sewage etc. We have people from all over India here who follows their own rules on road.

Here is an incident happened to me today. I was driving towards Millers Road from ITPL. After Indiranagar on a traffic light when turning orange, I slowed down and stopped. A two wheeler who was behind me banged on my bumper. I came out and checked, nothing majot. I returned to my vehicle politely after checking if the biker is alright. When I was waiting in the signal, a decent guy in Innova who was in my right hand side knocked my passenger window. I rolled down the window and he started blaming for slow down.

Now my questions,

I was driving around 30 KMPH and the traffic light turned amber, I stopped slowly.
What did I do wrong? And if somebody hits from back, it is their fault. The guy from Innova advised me to look back and drive. How can I do that especially when traffic light is turning to amber. If someone who drives rash behind me, to avoid him being hit do I need to break traffic rules?

I really feel sad that most of drivers here doesn't know the rules to be followed. You can also share your experience in Bangalore traffic here.

PS: I have been hit four times including this in my car. Thrice in Bangalore and once in Chennai and all incidents happened near Traffic signal.

As a fellow Banglorean my deepest regrets.
Been hit by two wheelers,Auto and cars on traffic lights.Stopped even complaining [:)]
Forgot to mention cyclists who scratch your doors .
We are very work oriented people.[gun]
Need to reach office before everyone.
No time ,but will watch cricket from morning till evening.
Have you been abused by pedestrians who want to cross over in the middle of nowhere on a busy road?
Traffic lights are supposed to slow the traffic but here in Bangalore you are suppose to race in Traffic lights :eek:
The guy from innova got a bail by questioning you.As a good citizen you agreed that you are at fault because of his sudden aggression whereas you were not to be blamed.
Lets see other drivers reactions

To begin with roads are narrow, filled with potholes and famous speed breakers for almost every single kilometer.
I would prefer to call them "roads in potholes" and not potholes on road. I mean give me a break. They are really irritating.[frustration]

The one on the airport road is the worst in bangalore. On the underpass at mekri circle. There are people repairing it from 4 days now. Unlimited traffic during the peak hours.

Few more things to add:
1. Left side overtaking is common in Bangalore and it becomes your responsibility to check if anyone is trying to overtake you from left side before changing lane [surprise]
2. Reckless driving by bikers: In Bangalore 4 wheeler OVRMs are meant to be hit by bikers. In one incident a biker came in between my car and a van at traffic signal, though a pillion rider (lady) said to him that she want to live few more years [:)]. Hearing this the rider assured me that his bike is/will not touch my car's right ORVM but once traffic light turned green he just dashed to ORVM and zoomed.

Hi Ram, the same incident happened with me. The signal went red I had to stop I got a bang on my new car and the two wheeler guy is blaming that its my fault and I have to pay the damages to his scooter too. Finally I told him we shall go to a nearest police station then he went calm and left the place.

Finally it was me who got a dent, wasted my time etc etc.

The worst roads ever seen, bikers over taking haphazardly. Mainly the cabs and the autos are big head ache.

Also these dirty tractors, they should be banned to come on roads.

Its true day to day we are facing such things even if you avoid traveling in car during peak hours,

people doesn't have patience
Many follow their own rule and bash at others

i have met the worst case here where in traffic police seen the instance and supported the person who over took from wrong side.

we have unwarranted one ways here so instead of pedestrian blaming cyclist and cyclist blaming bike guy and two wheeler people blaming cars and it goes to the bigger vehicles

so lets try to be cool while driving (not just switching on the A/C, here am referring the drivers attitude / mood / patience)
start early to avoid unnecessary rush of adrenaline / tension of getting late to office.

just start observing in signals, you will find the number one traffic violator, who is none other than Government Buses, and the worst thing is if bus kissed a car or two wheeler, all the bus passengers support the driver to make sure they reach their drop point on time, people became mad in the name of selfishness

Better to be :cool: rather than getting unwanted [frustration]

Last edited:
After Indiranagar on a traffic light when turning orange, I slowed down and stopped. A two wheeler who was behind me banged on my bumper.
This may seem crazy, but this is what I TRY to do in similar situation. Check the rear view mirror, if no one is tailgating, but coming behind fast, brake a little hard some distance before the stop line and release the brake and quickly move forward to the stop line. This would make the person coming behind react earlier and give more space for the braking to take place.

If some one is tailgating and fast, it is safer to crossover than suffer damage.

well I think this picture may answer your question.
In India Amber mean you have to be really fast I mean if you have nitro pack then it is the correct time use... Just joke apart..

In Bangalore I have seen if vehicle want to slow down ,the driver just wave his hand in outside and gesture for slow down to inform your trailing vehicle.This way you may bring down some back crash.
The back crashing happen not only in signal but also in the bumper to bumper traffic also.As generalmax told, we have no time but we can watch cricket match for whole day.

Attachments

Are there any roads in Bangalore ? Can anyone show me where is that.

Add to that lack luster and inefficient policing for all the ways leading to top IT parks all over the city.

Also inefficient public transport or lack of it.

My take on this comes from a simple thought my father gave me in my teens when I was getting eager to get behind wheels - "The road is full of idiots. Be aware. Driving doesnt mean not only you not hitting them, but making sure they dont hit you. "

Over the years I have cultivated that into practice and here is some steps what I do:
- In heavy traffic, I keep my window open and give hand signals. It gives the driver behind you a peep into your thoughts, and instead of reacting to the turning red of tail light, he has time to respond
- As Highway ranger also mentioned above - If a heavy vehicle / crazy guy / tailgater is behind you, brake early and keep some empty space in front of you. In last moment fill the gap. the guy behind would have stopped
- Drive in such a position in a road that the guy behind is not in 2 minds that whether he can overtake you or not. Give him a clear thought. Same in a traffic signal. If you want to give space for a 2 wheeler give it, if not then make sure he doesnt feel he can pass through
- A lady / a teenager driving in 2 wheeler behind you, let them go or you zoom by.
- Away from yellow number plates.. let them win, as they drive high on EGO
- never keep a tractor/ truck/ commercial auto / bmtc at your tail or in signal
- every corner or crowded street expect someone to break law and jump in front
- if distance between you and other traffic in front / back is more, someone(pedestrian) will try to cross it
- dont start immediately if it turns green, someone will be braking the law from the other end
- in case of amber go with the traffic. OR else someone will hit from behind
- if on highway forget all these rules, just remember stick to your lane, sync up speed with others on road (not high not too slow), keep an eye on rear view for a hyper speeding guy, no tailgating, no overtaking unless you see the road completely ahead, and take a break when re-entering the city.

SAFE DRIVING

Last edited:
Today while coming to office there was huge traffic pile up at Marathahalli underpass. (more than 1.5 km)

Why -> ?

Two empty BMTC buses were parked near the bus stop in front of Kalamandir and presumably drivers gone for "coffee" [frustration]

I wont blame Bangalore traffic police alone. Each one of us should change
1513299_609001619165549_1971254441_n.jpg from Bangalore Traffic police facebook page

They try their level best. The accidents have been reduced to a great extend.
They are even blamed for bad roads ! It is not Traffic Police's job to get road repaired.

If we all change the EGO & Attitude towards other road users, half of the problem will be solved.

Even today I saw a car guy moving close to the other vehicle not allowing other two wheelers to pass (Something like the photo below).

today.png

One bike (mentioned like |) passed and immediately the car guy pushed little front and blocking the small passage. Either he should have taken right and moved near to the front or else he should give way to others to move. He was just talking & talking over the big phone and was not even bothered to listen to others.

When these kind of things occur, the two wheeler rider gets really frustrated. The next signal, he will somehow try overtake the car and make sure that he is ahead the four wheeler guys. Sometimes they even go very slow in front (after overtaking) of car not allowing them to go fast. These kind of irritating attitude is shown by most of the people.
The car guy might have thought that the two wheeler may damage his front bumper. But see the right side space. He could have easily gone front if he had followed the lane properly.

If the signal is controlled by police, they change to red the moment they see some gap between vehicle flow.

Once a Maruti 800 was coming out of a road on my left and I stopped to let him join the traffic flow. Before completing the turn he stopped briefly and waved to me smiling and said something... I assume "thank you". He made my day. I was feeling happy for the rest of my drive.

So, now, I make it a point to wave and smile to any one who is courteous on road, be it a Truck, bus, driver, a car or a bike. I also make it a point to roll down the glass and wave if a bus, a truck or a car give me way to overtake.

Many times on narrow Ghat roads, bus and truck drivers pull over and ask me to pass. But we miss those gestures in the city.

Thread Starter #15
Today while coming to office there was huge traffic pile up at Marathahalli underpass. (more than 1.5 km)

Why -> ?

Two empty BMTC buses were parked near the bus stop in front of Kalamandir and presumably drivers gone for "coffee" [frustration]
Yup I saw that, when I returned back from dropping my wife at Prestige Tech Park. The Jam was from Marthahalli till ISRO office. Usually I take a U turn there and reach my office in EPIP. But today took the other route which is also equally bad.

@HR:
I always do that. It is a nice gesture.

Last edited:

Top Bottom