Dealing Front Blind Spots (With No Hood Visibility) in Cars

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

I’m a active member in TAI and driving car since over last 10 years. I’ve no problem at all with driving on roads and freeways but my in my locality all roads are not wider enough and filled with traffics all time and my home area roads are very narrow may be 10 feet, where I’ve to keep my car (my garage).

So far I have been driving our old family car (Mariti 800 and Aulto) as these are small cars so easy to drive in narrow roads also as these are old cars so not very tension about scratches.

But recently before a month I’ve got a new car (Hyundai Fluidic Verna) and as this car is big, long so at 1st I had difficulties to drive it but after few time it became fine. But like I said where we drive these are narrow roads so easily in hurry the car could get scratch every day, even it does once just after the day of delivery.

Now the issue is Driving, actually its about controlling the car when parking or in narrow roads. When driving/parking I always utilize all mirrors (inside RVM, left and right both). And I do the same with my new car (Fluidic Verna) and its mirrors and their angles are really amazing, from the driver seat even I can see both rear wheel when parking, so no issue with the rear end. But the issue I faced is with the frontend, front blind spots areas (attached image red marked areas). In the small car I somehow get an idea as these have good outside views, but in Verna the windows are so high I really have less outside view and even I cant see the bonnet and I’ve no idea where the bonnet ends, I’m totally unconfident with these front blind spot areas. Mostly when in a 10feet road another car came from front and I’ve to give him a pass.

So my question is: is there have any way I can see the view of these area? Or any way I can assume or get an idea of the car front part. So that I can easily go out from these situation. For this issue right now I cant drive alone, always I’ve to take someone to watch the left side.

Any solution from a Experience driver would be really helpful.

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Re: Help: Driving/Car positioning issue and maybe a technical help require.

Your only solution to install the camera under left ORVM and it pointed towards the front wheel / side bonnet.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...dding-camera-below-left-rear-view-mirror.html
Great someone did this here, I didn’t know that. Yea I knew about around view system but right now don’t wanted to mess with the car electric, so though to make it later when I know more about the car electric wirings.

Yes this would be a good way, but it wont give the front view. Also the whole setup would cost around 8-10k so I was thinking about fitting temporary mirrors.

Any way thank you very very much for sharing this link..

Your only solution to install the camera under left ORVM and it pointed towards the front wheel / side bonnet.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...dding-camera-below-left-rear-view-mirror.html
great link and information for the visibility issues

what about the front part ?

I still feel something can be done for front part

Soumen how do you think we can solve the problem for front bonet ?

get your wife / GF to stand at all the points that you need reference while you are sitting in the drivers seat and get a mental picture - thats what i do with a new vehicle i drive.

Sam even I had the same problem, I think my way would help you or atleast give a try. I think we all known the front and rear end of the car well by now so just estimate the side length via the 'rear view mirror. Both the front end and the side length would give you the approximate area.

Thread Starter #7
great link and information for the visibility issues

what about the front part ?

I still feel something can be done for front part

Soumen how do you think we can solve the problem for front bonet ?
The easiest way I thought putting mirrors like the way earlier SUV rear backup mirror works those fitted in rear wind screen faced towards ground. One at the left side and one at front. But that could look weired for a sedan car. Also this may damage the looks.

Another option now I’m thinking like this guy done with a after market display which has two cam input, one at left and one at front. There have many chinese products for around view system but I don’t know about how long those will work and also they cost around 20k, so that is expencive. If any indian product definitely I will try.

But I don’t know how far I will mane time to do these, as I’ve less time due to my work.

get your wife / GF to stand at all the points that you need reference while you are sitting in the drivers seat and get a mental picture - thats what i do with a new vehicle i drive.
LOLz.. best effective human around view system. But for me no wife, no GF …

Sam even I had the same problem, I think my way would help you or atleast give a try. I think we all known the front and rear end of the car well by now so just estimate the side length via the 'rear view mirror. Both the front end and the side length would give you the approximate area.
I know by time it will be ok and I will get an idea but till then I could get lot of scratches and damages, I’ve already got one and that is on the right side, not left.

I didn’t get how to estimate the side length via the 'rear view mirror? Side RVM or interior RVM? I can see the full left side rear portion (half of the car) by the side mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dealing With Front Blind Spots (With No Hood Visibility) in Cars

Buddy You can install parking sensor for front and rear both which will assist you in parking,may be hyundai might be selling this as OE accessory.
Other way round you have an option of installing it from outside,some type of expert though.

I was in same dilemma as yours,mine was a big car too,faced same issues as yours,but reverse sensor(only rear) are helping me out,rest it would be judgement.

Hello guys,
But the issue I faced is with the frontend, front blind spots areas (attached image red marked areas). In the small car I somehow get an idea as these have good outside views, but in Verna the windows are so high I really have less outside view and even I cant see the bonnet and I’ve no idea where the bonnet ends, I’m totally unconfident with these front blind spot areas. Mostly when in a 10feet road another car came from front and I’ve to give him a pass.

So my question is: is there have any way I can see the view of these area?
Hi soumen.sam,
Nice subject. Some examples. Fortuner in India is having option to fix Fender Mirror. Fender mirror is a very good option to read front-left and front areas. Land cruiser Prado is having front camera (within the manufacturer logo -camera inside the logo). Nissan Patrol is having side cameras (under ORVMs), front bumper cameras. Fortuner in middle east comes with built-in front bumper sensors (no Fender mirror option).

Back to your concern, the ideal choice is front bumper sensors. Cameras are needed to see those areas. Map my India navigation system is having option to fix front camera.

Lets capture few options here:
- idea about your car will come only with experience driving ir for long and to everywhere. But in that surely you will get some scratches and bumps
- get an extra mirror and all those stuff - but doesnt look good on a sedan
- put camera and monitor it through your dashboard - best options for a sedan. but as you said you dont want to play with car's electricals
- put sensors on left and right and use that for maneouvering
- put guards like bull guard, side impact etc, and let them take a beating if you touch something. - looks by this modification is your call (pic attached)
- old school ambassador style - put a marker at left front end of the car and use it for tracking your car's position (pic attached)

Attachments

Thread Starter #11

Buddy You can install parking sensor for front and rear both which will assist you in parking,may be hyundai might be selling this as OE accessory.
Other way round you have an option of installing it from outside,some type of expert though.

I was in same dilemma as yours,mine was a big car too,faced same issues as yours,but reverse sensor(only rear) are helping me out,rest it would be judgement.
Thanks for this advice, I’ve already passed away from this idea. The easier thing would be the parking sensor also this is almost not visible after installation, like the rear bumper. But actually I don’t trust on this system, as in few cases these don’t help, like in between two sensor if there have a stick type object like poll etc, it works great for flat surface.

My car is Fluidic Verna and it had factory fitted rear sensor and rear cam too. See his Elentra and see the position of its front parking sensors, its not a Indian one though. I thought about the same. Lets see…

Attachments

Thanks for this advice, I’ve already passed away from this idea. The easier thing would be the parking sensor also this is almost not visible after installation, like the rear bumper. But actually I don’t trust on this system, as in few cases these don’t help, like in between two sensor if there have a stick type object like poll etc, it works great for flat surface.

My car is Fluidic Verna and it had factory fitted rear sensor and rear cam too. See his Elentra and see the position of its front parking sensors, its not a Indian one though. I thought about the same. Lets see…
You need to try after market if you want front sensors like elantra,but in case even if you fit it,there must be a proper sync between front and rear sensors,otherwise they will give you a nightmare.

Thread Starter #13

Hi soumen.sam,
Nice subject. Some examples. Fortuner in India is having option to fix Fender Mirror. Fender mirror is a very good option to read front-left and front areas. Land cruiser Prado is having front camera (within the manufacturer logo -camera inside the logo). Nissan Patrol is having side cameras (under ORVMs), front bumper cameras. Fortuner in middle east comes with built-in front bumper sensors (no Fender mirror option).

Back to your concern, the ideal choice is front bumper sensors. Cameras are needed to see those areas. Map my India navigation system is having option to fix front camera.
Thanks Mathew, I’ve already did lots of research on the around view system, it was 1st invented by Nissan and many European car having this these days, it’s a awesome thing. But all I got is all Chinese products, no branded or any Indian products. So I have some doubt about its longevity. Also those I saw all are in alibaba.com and aliexpress.com or like these online sites, none in ebay so its hard to trust, I’ve never shop over alibaba etc also these cost over 20k+shipping so that would be expensive in terms of a Chinese product. But in future I would definitely get a around view system. I will get a good branded one from US when someone known will comedown from there, its very cheap there.
High Definition Full-view Parking Supplementary System Car Camera - Buy Around View Car Camera,Cmos 360 Degree Car Camera,Dual View Car Camera Product on Alibaba.com

And I will check Map my india today.

Oh and I’m looking for the fender mirror and really interested to go for it, even it may looks odd in sedan car but I don’t want to do any hole in the fender or anywhere, all I see are nut and bolt fitting, I’m looking for a adhesive fitted one. If I got then its fine.

Thread Starter #14

Lets capture few options here:
- idea about your car will come only with experience driving ir for long and to everywhere. But in that surely you will get some scratches and bumps
- get an extra mirror and all those stuff - but doesnt look good on a sedan
- put camera and monitor it through your dashboard - best options for a sedan. but as you said you dont want to play with car's electricals
- put sensors on left and right and use that for maneouvering
- put guards like bull guard, side impact etc, and let them take a beating if you touch something. - looks by this modification is your call (pic attached)
- old school ambassador style - put a marker at left front end of the car and use it for tracking your car's position (pic attached)
- Yea camera option is the best and sophisticated also it wont damage the looks and style and it could installed without messing the stock electrical as a separate module. But time consuming and hard working stuff.

- sensors on left and right are not that confident I think, when the buzzer starts I don’t which way to turn the steering as I don’t know where the obstruction is, it works great with flat surface and with the camera like the rear cam + sensor works. So with visibility I can understand the distance also.

- Installing a guard would solve all the problem, I don’t mind whatever scratch its gets and even if I have to replace it once in a year. Also the old school stick on the left works great, this would help also. But the thing is all these would damage the looks. Have you ever seen a premium segment car with front and rear bumper guard? I will still look for a bumper guard if something suitable for my car.

Thread Starter #15

You need to try after market if you want front sensors like elantra,but in case even if you fit it,there must be a proper sync between front and rear sensors,otherwise they will give you a nightmare.
Yes for the front sensor it will require a separate module, OEM or aftermarket. It shouldn’t attached with the rear one.

Top Bottom