Mistakes You Make On Road

Thread Starter #1
As thread titled , I feel no one is perfect in driving and we as humans will make small small mistakes on road that can make big difference in our life. Please make contribution to this thread so that even we can lear something from each others mistake .

I often see people swearing to other driver on the road and driver worst than those so called Idiots .

:P i will start from my self :-

1> Today while commuting to my office from Thane-Mumbai I was travelling on Eastern Free Way . I saw one White Honda City in my Mirror who was goign faster than me , hence i decided to give him a way , Turn on my Left indicator , Checked my mirrors (Left / Center / Right ) and then started to switch from Right to left lane . All of sudden i saw some silver color object in left RVM immediately switch back into right lane and then apologized to Poor Maruti Omini guy who was travelling parallel to me in left lane .

Lesson learnt :- Always Shoulder Check before changing Lanes . [:D]

Thread Starter #3
Re: Mistakes You Do On Road

But you stated in earlier line that you checked left mirror.
Yes Sid , I checked my left mirror before changing lane but at that time there was no one in my RVM ( i guess car was on far left side of the lane ) and i thought that there is no one . But there was an Omini travelling into car's blind spot , as soon as i started changing lane i saw Omini which was in my blind spot and came back into Right lane .

Last edited:

As thread titled , I feel no one is perfect in driving and we as humans will make small small mistakes on road that can make big difference in our life. Please make contribution to this thread so that even we can lear something from each others mistake .

I often see people swearing to other driver on the road and driver worst than those so called Idiots .

:P i will start from my self :-

1> Today while commuting to my office from Thane-Mumbai I was travelling on Eastern Free Way . I saw one White Honda City in my Mirror who was goign faster than me , hence i decided to give him a way , Turn on my Left indicator , Checked my mirrors (Left / Center / Right ) and then started to switch from Right to left lane . All of sudden i saw some silver color object in left RVM immediately switch back into right lane and then apologized to Poor Maruti Omini guy who was travelling parallel to me in left lane .

Lesson learnt :- Always Shoulder Check before changing Lanes . [:D]
Yes Sid , I checked my left mirror before changing lane but at that time there was no one in my RVM ( i guess car was on far left side of the lane ) and i thought that there is no one . But there was an Omini travelling into car's blind spot , as soon as i started changing lane i saw Omini which was in my blind spot and came back into Right lane .
You don't need to shoulder check every time. Just make sure that the ORVMs are correctly positioned to show maximum area.

Do take care of blind spots with respect to bikers also. Missing a car in blind spot is not that easy but missing a biker surely is.

Also, always make gradual, slow and steady lane changes instead of fast and cutting ones. This alone can help the traffic in adjacent lane to judge your move and take action accordingly.

And one last thing, do indicate your lane change with your car's turn signal indicators.

2. > Make a rule to yourself that you will always stay below triple digit speeds no matter how good and wide highway road are on. Speeds of upto 80,90kmph are safe on indian highways. Above 80, you yourself will be unable to control your car in case unwanted cattle or human beings come on road(and yes, they do come on road sometimes as if it is their garden). Slow Drive - Long Life.

Even I have done speeds in excess of 150kmph but I'll never repeat them on indian roads. That was a mistake on my part and I will not repeat it again.

I second sandhu. I have sped many times even though on wide, empty roads. It was not required and was an unsafe act.

I too agree with sarav.sandhu, India highway is not designed or build to go for triple digit.I also have done the triple digit sometime by seeing the smooth laid road and had close save for couple of time [shock].
India Highway are full of surprise and on the highway always expect the unexpected.

Last edited:
Never rush up. I find Speed of 90 to 100 ok.
Slow down when entering a village consciously on highways. You don't realize how fast you are going.
Never ever overtake when the line of sight is not clear. I try to follow it as strictly as possible.
Keep a safe distance from the car in front.
These I have learned from my mistakes.

You don't need to shoulder check every time. Just make sure that the ORVMs are correctly positioned to show maximum area.

Do take care of blind spots with respect to bikers also. Missing a car in blind spot is not that easy but missing a biker surely is.

Also, always make gradual, slow and steady lane changes instead of fast and cutting ones. This alone can help the traffic in adjacent lane to judge your move and take action accordingly.

And one last thing, do indicate your lane change with your car's turn signal indicators.
Never rush up. I find Speed of 90 to 100 ok.
Slow down when entering a village consciously on highways. You don't realize how fast you are going.
Never ever overtake when the line of sight is not clear. I try to follow it as strictly as possible.
Keep a safe distance from the car in front.
These I have learned from my mistakes.
All points marked in bold are very valid. I try to follow most of them. But some times I do mistake while changing lanes, overtake at wrong times and go beyond 100. I should thank god being with me at those wrong moments.

Other mistakes I do normally are

I hate people drive with High beams in city. but sometimes for some reason I would have switched on high beam and would have forgot to turn it to low beam. Either my son or daughter will ask me "why High beam in city dad?" then I will turn it to low beam.

I always prefer to go in left side of the road and take a right turn, so that I will avoid crashing down with the vehicle how is taking left turn from the road I want to turn right. But accidentally I will go in right side of the road and try to take right turn.

In 2 way roads, in curves some times go in right lane while cruising on right bend.

Always I will look into my rear view mirror before opening the driver side door. But some times with some other thought I will open it without checking.

I am doing a repeated mistake in my 3 months old Beat. Although this mistake is not a issue for anyone but a pain for me.
I have to drop my 3.5 yrs kid to my mom's place in car daily and I make him seat in backseat. As a security measure I switch on the child Lock. Now every time I forget to unlock the door. In the evening I pick up my mom - dad and kid from playground, drop my parents to there home and then realize that they cannot open the door from inside due to child lock set ON. I have to then get outside the car open doors for parents & then check in again. The biggest issue here is the road is narrow & full of traffic and in these 30 seconds I get continuous honking & many times traffic piles up. [frustration]

Due to bad Indian road condition, I usually drive at high beam but as soon as I see another car in front of beam I switch over to low beam. This switching over to low beam I do 80% of the time, but do forget 20% of the time.

zig zag riding in my bike. I have minimized it now. but still out of now where, the monkey in me jumps out.
yes its true for me as well, i cannot control zig-zag driving when in two wheeler. Before sitting on bike i always think that i will ride safely and calmly, but as soon as i sit on the two wheeler, i just try to zig-zag

Nobody is a perfect driver. Driving is something we keep learning till the end.
The only way to optimize our skills is to observe, practice and experience.

Theoretically all of us might know the road rules, safety tips but whats important is that we follow and implement them without fail.

I have penned down few mistake we commonly do in spite of knowing that these are mistakes.

Overtaking from Left : Its all about circumstances. Especially in city traffic we will be tempted to overtake an ongoing vehicle from left. Lets avoid it to be a safe driver. Lets keep it in mind that there is something called blind spots.

Driving in wrong lane : Doesn't matter what schools have taught. The tendency is to drive in opposite lane. Why don't we think that saving our life is important than saving 2 minutes or few drops of fuel.

Lane changing : Do we even think twice before changing our lane? All of us know that there is something called blind spot but we still fail to analyze things before changing the lane.

Taking the turn : Indian roads are unscientific and nobody can help it. Why don't we follow the right procedure while taking right turns. The tendency is to take right turn towards the extreme right hand side of the roads.

Stopping and zig zag driving : We might be perfect. Why don't we think about someone who is behind us. Its common to bring to slow down the vehicle without any indications which could cause a disaster. Driving is not only about our confidence level, its about people around. Lets not assume that the other vehicles are as perfect as ours. Each vehicle has its own drawbacks. Lets keep it in mind Poor braking, Poor stability, poor view, etc.

High beam driving : We don't even think twice whats happening to the person driving from opposite direction. Lets limit the usage of high beam driving when its not necessary. All of us know night driving is cumbersome. Its doesn't mean that we add to it to trouble other drivers.

Do not compete with big vehicle : When we hit the road, our moto should be to reach our destination. Not to show off or threaten people around. Big vehicles like lorries and buses are much powerful than the 1.6 Ltrs sedan we drive on. Apparently they have lesser control and visibility with the loads. Why don't we compromise a bit with them instead of blaming someone who drive for their bread.

Due to bad Indian road condition, I usually drive at high beam but as soon as I see another car in front of beam I switch over to low beam. This switching over to low beam I do 80% of the time, but do forget 20% of the time.
In city I never use High beam. But when am done with my highway driving and on entering city most of the time i forget about high beam. Mostly my son or daughter will remind me then I will switch to low beam.

Nobody is a perfect driver. Driving is something we keep learning till the end.
The only way to optimize our skills is to observe, practice and experience.

Theoretically all of us might know the road rules, safety tips but whats important is that we follow and implement them without fail.

I have penned down few mistake we commonly do in spite of knowing that these are mistakes.

Overtaking from Left : Its all about circumstances. Especially in city traffic we will be tempted to overtake an ongoing vehicle from left. Lets avoid it to be a safe driver. Lets keep it in mind that there is something called blind spots.

Driving in wrong lane : Doesn't matter what schools have taught. The tendency is to drive in opposite lane. Why don't we think that saving our life is important than saving 2 minutes or few drops of fuel.

Lane changing : Do we even think twice before changing our lane? All of us know that there is something called blind spot but we still fail to analyze things before changing the lane.

Taking the turn : Indian roads are unscientific and nobody can help it. Why don't we follow the right procedure while taking right turns. The tendency is to take right turn towards the extreme right hand side of the roads.

Stopping and zig zag driving : We might be perfect. Why don't we think about someone who is behind us. Its common to bring to slow down the vehicle without any indications which could cause a disaster. Driving is not only about our confidence level, its about people around. Lets not assume that the other vehicles are as perfect as ours. Each vehicle has its own drawbacks. Lets keep it in mind Poor braking, Poor stability, poor view, etc.

High beam driving : We don't even think twice whats happening to the person driving from opposite direction. Lets limit the usage of high beam driving when its not necessary. All of us know night driving is cumbersome. Its doesn't mean that we add to it to trouble other drivers.

Do not compete with big vehicle : When we hit the road, our moto should be to reach our destination. Not to show off or threaten people around. Big vehicles like lorries and buses are much powerful than the 1.6 Ltrs sedan we drive on. Apparently they have lesser control and visibility with the loads. Why don't we compromise a bit with them instead of blaming someone who drive for their bread.
That is precise and that is what am trying to say thru my signature in TAI. Great points.

Top Bottom