Brake Failure! How To Stop a Car Without Brakes?

Thread Starter #1
Brakes are one of the most important parts of your car for your safety. Pay attention to any kind of braking problem immediately, or you could land up in big trouble. But if your brakes do fail, here are some emergency stopping steps to follow. Don’t panic!

Few steps to follow if you experience brake failure in both slow speed and high-speed conditions.

Slow-speed brake failure

At slow speed, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, brake failure can happen if the engine rpm is too low for the car to generate enough vacuum to operate the brake booster Or the brakes could fail for other reasons such as a jammed brake caliper, a leaking master cylinder, drained out brake fluid or a snapped brake pipeline. Usually, if brake fluid has drained out, you will get a warning lamp on the dash lighting up (either the parking brake lamp or a triangle with an exclamation mark in it). If there’s no brake fluid the pedal will feel soft and sink all the way to the floor with little or no braking action.

What to do?

-Pump the brakes: Rapidly press and release the brake pedal, you may get some braking action, just enough to slow or stop the car.
-Downshift to first gear quickly. Release the clutch and don’t touch the accelerator.
-Pull the handbrake up gently and bring the vehicle to a halt.
-Switch off the ignition, with the vehicle still in first gear. Don’t press the clutch, let the dead engine do the braking.
-If you are in traffic and the brakes fail, switch on your hazard lights, headlights and honk the horn to warn other drivers.
-If you are close to the divider or curb, steer toward it and brush the tyres slightly against it to help stop the vehicle if needed
-If there’s sand, mud or slush on the side of the road drive into it – it will slow and stop the car.

Once the vehicle has come to a halt, keep the hazard lights on and call for help. Don’t attempt to drive the vehicle without brakes. It will be better to get it towed by a crane or flat-bed truck to the workshop. Also read: Driving tips for slow moving traffic

High-speed brake failure

If you are driving at high speed and the brakes fail, things can get very risky, very quickly. One usually realizes the brakes aren’t functioning only when you press the pedal to slow down for something – at which point it may be too late. However, if you keep your calm and act swiftly, you may be able to salvage the situation with minimal or no damage.

What to do?

-Immediately begin downshifting the gears if you have a manual transmission, shift to third, then second and then to first as the speed drops.
-Keep pumping the brake pedal as sometimes there may be some residual pressure that helps in braking.
-As you downshift, pull the handbrake up, but be careful of locking the rear-wheels as that can result in the car going into an uncontrollable skid and complicate the situation.
-Switch off the ignition, with the car in gear and clutch released to try and brake the vehicle with engine drag. But do this only once the car has slowed down considerably, otherwise you will lose steering control and what little brake assist remains as well.
-Keep full control on the steering wheel. Steer away from the obstacle, toward the side of the road. Keep swerving the wheel slightly as this increases friction and can slow the vehicle a bit.
-If the car has still not come to a halt, try driving into gravel or sand on the side of the road to increase friction. Don’t try brushing against the divider or hill-side at speed as this can damage the car badly or even flip it over leading to a fatal crash.

How to avoid brake failure?

Generally, you will have an inkling of an impending brake failure by the behavior of the brake pedal. If the pedal loses its feel and feels soft and mushy, get it checked immediately. Check the brake fluid level. If the pedal goes hard and loses vacuum boost, is another sign of impending brake failure. Other signs to watch out for include noisy brakes, grinding, screeching or whining sounds from the discs or drums and a smell of hot metal burning (brakes generate plenty of heat).

Check your brake fluid levels weekly. Check and inspect the brake pads and discs at every service and get the pads replaced at the recommended intervals.

Don’t ride the brakes too much, especially when driving downhill. Shift into a lower gear and let the engine braking help, while going downhill. Brake only when necessary in short bursts and not continuously for too long as this builds up excess heat. Also read: Driving tips for the mountains

After you drive through water or a deep puddle, always gently pump the brakes to dry out the pads and discs. Water in the brakes can lead to brake failure – or the brakes not holding as needed.

Source: Brake failure! How to stop a car with no brakes? | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Last edited:
Re: Brake failure! How to stop a car with no brakes?

Excellent piece of information very well explained.
I will be keeping a print of this in my car..... [:)]

Re: Brake failure! How to stop a car with no brakes?

Wow ! Good start AppU !
It's really informative ! Brake failure may the worst part in any drivers life.

Re: Brake Failure! How To Stop a Car With No Nrakes?

Very informative and most importantly Life Saving
Thank you for sharing
Hope you don't mind if I share this with my friends via facebook

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Re: Brake Failure! How To Stop a Car With No Nrakes?

Excellent piece of information very well explained.
I will be keeping a print of this in my car..... [:)]
Thank you Buddy.

Thanks for the detailed TODOs vinoth!!
Welcome buddy :)

Excellent find appu.thanks for the vakuable information.
Thank you Hari[:)]

Wow ! Good start AppU !
It's really informative ! Brake failure may the worst part in any drivers life.
Yes Raj. My spine is shivering whenever I think about the situation like this.

Very informative and most importantly Life Saving
Thank you for sharing
Thank you for the complements,

Hope you don't mind if I share this with my friends via facebook
Please proceed, It will definitely help others [:)]

After the use of tandem master cylinders which are present even on maruti 800s complete brake failure is so unlikely that it is not worth talking about. Although it is often used as an excuse for one's carelessness in the event of an accident.

Indeed a informative article. Thanks for sharing. By the way in my Beat Manual it is written that the car comes with secondary braking mechanism which gets activates automatically in case of brake failure. Can someone highlight on this? How it works & is it really effective. I guess no 1 shall dare to test it

I have experienced brake failure and its not nice. I had to go pick up a few thing for work so I took one of the trade in cars. It was a little Proton (manual transmission thankfully). I was about 200m away from my work returning back and was stopped at a light. I had my foot on the brake and all of a sudden all pressure from the pedal went. I drove the car back very slowly and used engine braking. I was a little worried.

Immediately begin downshifting the gears if you have a manual transmission, shift to third, then second and then to first as the speed drops.
Pl explain how this has to be done (am a novice driver). Say I was moving at a speed 60 Km/hr and found brake is not working, taking off foot from accelerator,this will reduce speed (I was in 4th gear) but how much? I generally shift to 3rd gear at 30 km/hr. So pl elaborate this point.

Pl explain how this has to be done (am a novice driver). Say I was moving at a speed 60 Km/hr and found brake is not working, taking off foot from accelerator,this will reduce speed (I was in 4th gear) but how much? I generally shift to 3rd gear at 30 km/hr. So pl elaborate this point.

Sir if are in trouble and need a immediate stop downshifting at a speed of 60 to third gear will be the best option I know if against the mechanics but certainly can save a big accident.

i had experienced brake failure 2 times - 1) in our old 1974 amby. our family was going to our aunts place when my younger brother complained that the brake was getting weaker. but i didn't believe him and took over the drivers seat. right atop an incline the brake failed completely. there was a railway gate at the base of the incline and it was closed and there was a long que of vehicles. i drove on the right side of the road and took the car on to a dirt road at the railway gate and coasted to a stand still.
2) my tata indica - i had started for home from my hospital in the evening and the brake started to fail - i switched on the flashers and slowly drove in first gear to the workshop near by about 6kms away.
both times i was lucky and got away without any mishap.

Top Bottom