Determining Position of Car on Left Side

Thread Starter #1
I leaned driving recently & I have a problem in judging the left side of my car. I am not able to determine where exactly the car is positioned on the left side. Whenever I have to pass through a parked vehicle or pedestrians in narrow roads, it makes me nervous with the fear that I may hit them from the left side of my car. Same is the case when I have to pass through the footpath on my left, I become too much worried that I may hit the curb. Is there any way by which I can judge the exact left position of the car?

I leaned driving recently & I have a problem in judging the left side of my car. I am not able to determine where exactly the car is positioned on the left side. Whenever I have to pass through a parked vehicle or pedestrians in narrow roads, it makes me nervous with the fear that I may hit them from the left side of my car. Same is the case when I have to pass through the footpath on my left, I become too much worried that I may hit the curb. Is there any way by which I can judge the exact left position of the car?
I too a novice driver,so I am waiting for the comments of the experienced members on the issue. However I drove my car independently on road,so I am just sharing my experience. I keep watch on the left border of the wind shield,the left wheel is below it. I also asked my wife to stand before the stationery car on the left side at different positions to judge my left side of the car.[drive]

In begining it happens to everyone,but that judgement come only when you drive more and more later you wont even think of that ,but till that time,suppose when you are on driver's seat tell some one to stand close to left side of engine so you would get an idea where the engine is,later when you drive you would have that cofidence to go through

Driving is all about practice and practice. Judgement comes with time. This is also common with people shifting to a bigger car / driving someone else's car at times. But a sure deal help (commonly used in small towns / busy areas of older india) is to get a stick / rod at the left end of bonnet / bumper. Some people even do it for the front end judgement. This always gives a clear indication where the left end is.

But would advice you for now to keep more distance on the left (may be a feet or two) and drive safe. Over due course when you will learn and practice better your idea will improve.

When i was learning to drive, I had the same problem I asked my instructor one question.
How do i park my car near the yellow line on the road?
To which he replied " every car on the dash board have a center marking it could be two parallel lines easily visible to driver, you have to see the yellowline just near to the left line on the dashboard marker, you will see your left wheel i just near the yellow line.
I have tried it and it works.
I dont know about other cars but wagon r and eeco have this lines on dashboard will post pictures of dashboard of eeco tomorrow.
You learn more the more you drive

Last edited:
shortened... I also asked my wife to stand before the stationery car on the left side at different positions to judge my left side of the car.[drive]
Sid, you are a Genius!
If only I had suggested the same to my wife and then run over that rude, cruel, nagging witch. :-D

If only I had suggested the same to my wife and then run over that rude, cruel, nagging witch. :-D
@ZaE, what do you mean?

@ others, 'front parking sensors or front park assist cam' would help definitely because judgement might fail sometimes despite good practice.

Last edited:
@ Jayesh- agree with Sid. Please clarify.
@Tornado - sorry just ranting.
See on most of the roads have a white or yellow line marked on the left and right side of the road and a broken line in the centre (lane line).
The continuos lines on the side indicate that the lane ends there(the width) after which a small pace is left big enough for two wheelers.
url.jpg
(picture source: google)
Its near this line where your cars tyre will be.
images.jpg
(picture source: google )
If you try parking using the dash board marking method.

@ Jayesh- Thanks, I have the 2 lines on my dash and will use your method next time.
I have been using my experience & angling the left ORVM slighty downwards, so I can see more of the road.
I want to get those bonnet mounted mirrors which would help with this & they look great.

Sorry, I am not able to see the lines on the dash in the picture.

But will see if I can lay hands on a ritz here and will inform bu tomorrow.

Top Bottom