What Measures Can Be Taken To Spot & Avoid Nuisance on Roads?

Thread Starter #1
With an ever increasing traffic, and the buying capability of Indians, I find a new idiot on road every single day. Either they are the teenagers, the ever feared yellow plate driver or the first time driver (no sense of direction, speed or people at back)

You see people overtaking you and cutting across 45 degree, overtaking from wrong side, no signaling, driving zig zag, all of a sudden lane change, tailgating at 60+ speeds, talking over phone, no response to horns or headlight flash, stopping suddenly without warning and without any obvious reason, bike overtaking from middle of two bus/lorry, without helmet / seat belts, driving in wrong direction, overlooking traffic signals, driving like a maniac with an L signal on windshield, and the list goes on and on.

You see every alternate bike with skid marks, every car with a dent, broken bumper, and the driver still oblivious to his previous escapades. Actually when I talk to my fellow known people, I find many feel proud to share that he met with a small accident and how he saved himself from a major damage physically and financially.

This adds to the stress level as well as traffic jams and creates a nuisance and rukus. As a funny observation, when I give hand signals, people look at me as if I have come from another planet. Well I drive as I was taught.

Police can not curb this trend alone, as the basic training for driving itself is missing. Indians never learn to drive, they learn to handle steering wheels. Driving involves awareness of your fellow mates driving around you at any given path, but all what anyone cares is how he handles his own bazooka on road. Also licence is given without any test/know how at many places. Plus the small village drivers (mainly driving yellow plates) who ride on their pride rather than with brains.

Now comes my question - How to spot them early and avoid them [frustration]. start pouring in your opinions and suggestions.

Re: What measures can be taken to spot and avoid a road nuisance early

All points well taken and I am sure, no one can deny one or any. I am the one of you too, get irritated by such irresponsible behaviors on the road.

Well, it's got multiple to million reasons and many time without any reason too. But the simple painful fact is that, we are yet to be civilized! We just never care about anyone else, be it on any matter and Road Sense is just not an exception too.

I see almost all Taxi guys everyday with just not their hand out but about half of their body out of the window and they would put it out to change lane anytime the would like to. Basics, indicator is just a request to change lane/turn and not a RIGHT. They think it otherwise and will guiltlessly argue that "they already have shown the sign". On the other hand, Autos & Bikers (many) just don't have an indicator with them... It's a manufacturing defect on those vehicles I believe. As this become their habit, rather attitude, they just can't adhere to such indication signals of others too. Eg: Every day when I have to enter my Apartment Gate from the road, I put on the indicator well in advance and wait for at least 5 bikes to pass on the same side where the indicator is "On". Can't blame them, they are just not used to it. The pain part is, some of the Car Drivers too become the same when they sit on the bike. Another joke is, the pillion rider shows his/her hand for indication, whereas the rider would just even don't know about it and do whatever he wanted to. Heights of ignorance?

This gets even more worse when well educated and sophisticated people to act so. Every day, I go drop my son in his school in the scooter. I see almost everyone, want to drop their kids just right in front of the gate, be it they are in Bike/Scooter or Car. That creates a huge Mess, Chaos and Jams in front of the school every single day. Can't they just part it a couple of meters away and walk down with the kids? Is it a show off that I have a car or laziness to walk? In either way it's condemnable. And most importantly, what are we teaching our next generation? The securities of the school are tired of Whistling and Screaming at such people. At once, I saw the Security yelling at a parent with due disrespect, dropping his kid in front of the gate in a huge SUV. And that guy, just damned cared. Ain't he ashamed being yelled by a Security in front of all? How bad the attitude can be than this? I felt ashamed, just not for what happened, but about this attitude. Am I wrong in calling we are yet to be Civilized? Further, I see bikes / scooters parked against one another and even behind other cars. So they are actually locked there until those are cleared. Any sense at all?

Railway Crossings – For some strange unknown reasons, most of the Railway Crossings in Bangalore are with a U shaped curve. Once the gate is closed, people occupy the roads on both sides and create a deadlock once the gate is open. Painfully, only those go and cover the other side of the road is allowed to go to clear the deadlock inevitably. So the ones on the right track takes the pleasure of seeing the gates get closed at least twice, for the benefit of the willful violators. Am I wrong in calling we are yet to be Civilized?

Parking – The number of people who just don’t know the park the vehicle properly is even more than the ones don’t know to drive. Side Stand Parking of Bikes, Double Parking of Cars are just part of our lives. And when we see them even in such well mannered office parking lots, what else can we call us?

The list isn’t just done, but too many to blow your memory out. I am not expecting everyone should be perfect, but at least if many of us.

PS: Just my personal views and I could be wrong in some too. DEFINITELY not meant to offend anybody or group. It’s just as perceived. I really welcome any such corrections or healthy debates.

Re: What Measured Can Be Taken To Spot & Avoid Nuisance on Roads?

With an ever increasing traffic, and the buying capability of Indians, I find a new idiot on road every single day. Either they are the teenagers, the ever feared yellow plate driver or the first time driver (no sense of direction, speed or people at back)

excellent post [clap] 100% agree with you. I fear the most is the high speed tailgaters. i know my cars capability and i can make it dead stop during emergency. But those tailgaters will ram my car from back [anger]

A must needs and well put forward experience that each one of us face daily.

From my personal experience you just cant trust a yellow plate of that three wheeler, they can take any turn at any speed and on any road. Their proudness and for us their recklessness if indicated from the front side scratches that they carry on their vehicles. Not sure about other cities but here in Noida every three wheeler has a tradition to follow. The moment they are bought, they are taken to welding shops where all round it they will get it iron rod protected and then starts their skill presentation. If you are in Noida do not miss visiting Sec-15 Metro station and check out how the auto drivers take out their vehicle once its fully loaded (10-12 ppl).

The issue is increasing because of the fact that issues are not taken care of when required. I see a lot of friend in my friend circle who has over time got affected with this problem due to frustrations. When you started driving 4 wheelers they were all good, all rule following drivers but when the horns went non-responded, driver overtook them from wrong side despite indicators and their Rear Bumper being banged for no reason, they unknowing have gone into following the philosophy of tit for tat.

This gets even more worse when well educated and sophisticated people to act so. Every day, I go drop my son in his school in the scooter. I see almost everyone, want to drop their kids just right in front of the gate, be it they are in Bike/Scooter or Car. That creates a huge Mess, Chaos and Jams in front of the school every single day. Can't they just part it a couple of meters away and walk down with the kids? Is it a show off that I have a car or laziness to walk? In either way it's condemnable. And most importantly, what are we teaching our next generation? The securities of the school are tired of Whistling and Screaming at such people. At once, I saw the Security yelling at a parent with due disrespect, dropping his kid in front of the gate in a huge SUV. And that guy, just damned cared. Ain't he ashamed being yelled by a Security in front of all? How bad the attitude can be than this? I felt ashamed, just not for what happened, but about this attitude. Am I wrong in calling we are yet to be Civilized? Further, I see bikes / scooters parked against one another and even behind other cars. So they are actually locked there until those are cleared. Any sense at all?
You have nailed it buddy. This is I have also experienced while dropping my kid to pre school.
I don't understand what is the pleasure the parent get to drop the kid in front of the gate (I literally meaning in front of gate). I have seen suppose 1st parent is dropping the kid and he is in front of the gate, the next parent will come wait behind the 1st parent car till, the 1st parent finished with the dropping.
If the dropping maneuvering takes a bit long time, then a honking will also follow.
But they will not walk for 2-3 meter(the length of the car) to drop.

Indicator: I am not sure whether indicator is applicable for all or not but definitely not applicable for biker. It is a no use for them.They just don't care for that.It use to be a very hard time to take a left/right turn using indicator.
Same apply also while backing the car. No body is ready to give a little room to the car to take reverse.

You have nailed it buddy. This is I have also experienced while dropping my kid to pre school.
I don't understand what is the pleasure the parent get to drop the kid in front of the gate (I literally meaning in front of gate). I have seen suppose 1st parent is dropping the kid and he is in front of the gate, the next parent will come wait behind the 1st parent car till, the 1st parent finished with the dropping.
If the dropping maneuvering takes a bit long time, then a honking will also follow.
But they will not walk for 2-3 meter(the length of the car) to drop.[\QUOTE]

Yup... Moreover, after the nonsense of creating a chaos in front of the gate, they also want to take a U Turn right then and there... That even worsens the situation which is already a mess. Can't go a little further to take that U Turn? It's all empty there...

Indicator:
Same apply also while backing the car. No body is ready to give a little room to the car to take reverse.
Hahahahhaaaa... The Bikers and Autos will just try to squeeze in just in time you change from Reverse to 1st gear. And they succeed too! If not, at least mark their presence on your bumper... [lol]

I've realized that one cannot educate or fix these bad drivers on the road. So my personal solution is to play a probability game :

Assume that I drive daily to work at regular office hours (9am and 6pm), probability of meeting accident with a bad road user is X. I can :

A) Alternate between driving and public transport, cutting probability to X/2
B) Further, drive at off-peak hours, cutting probability to X/6

But this may not be practical for others. So one can take measures like:

1. Avoid and give way to yellow plate drivers
2. Assume the BMTC bus can turn either way, stop, take a U turn without indication
3. Slow down at every intersection, even if having right of way or green signal
4. Assume pedestrians want to cross from the blind spot of that parked bus and slow down
5. Never go for tit for tat - assume the other guy is violating traffic rules due to ignorance
6. Make a note to myself - that cabbie's only source of pride is muscling road space - whereas for me, my carrier and family is a matter of greater pride. The car is just a commuting vehicle.
7. Gain some Karma by giving way to pedestrians, elderly drivers, ladies, children, ambulances.

Else your ear will be bombarded with horn and eye will be flashed by light.So better leave them
2. Assume the BMTC bus can turn either way, stop, take a U turn without indication
Never trail a BMTC bus, because you don't know when and what they will do
4. Assume pedestrians want to cross from the blind spot of that parked bus and slow down
Then get ready to listen all tune of horn and some angry faces with some abuse also. But still I follow this.
5. Never go for tit for tat - assume the other guy is violating traffic rules due to ignorance
It should be avoided,since we don't know what that guy is capable of and may lead to worst road rage
6. Make a note to myself - that cabbie's only source of pride is muscling road space - whereas for me, my carrier and family is a matter of greater pride. The car is just a commuting vehicle.
Adding to this Autos, water tanker and small goods carrier auto
7. Gain some Karma by giving way to pedestrians, elderly drivers, ladies, children, ambulances.[/QUOTE]

Thread Starter #9

I've realized that one cannot educate or fix these bad drivers on the road. So my personal solution is to play a probability game :

Assume that I drive daily to work at regular office hours (9am and 6pm), probability of meeting accident with a bad road user is X. I can :

A) Alternate between driving and public transport, cutting probability to X/2
B) Further, drive at off-peak hours, cutting probability to X/6

But this may not be practical for others. So one can take measures like:

7. Gain some Karma by giving way to pedestrians, elderly drivers, ladies, children, ambulances.
Ha, if I adhere to all your plans I will become a BABA [clap]. Handling Stress sounds like an easier job [;)]. Puns apart, nicely put buddy.

Thread Starter #10

Here are some of my tricks:
1. Never tailgate anyone, and make sure no one is tailgating me. I am happy to give my tailgater a little bit of space to go ahead
2. Follow the 2 sec gap rule. Initial few days you need to practice, then it gets on to your instincts
3. Never closely follow a car which has better mechanical s( read luxury cars, SUVs, volvo buses), as their distance to 0 is much lesser than mine, and I may bump into. Also if some vehicle is tall enough and I am not able to see through its glass, increase your distance further
4. If unintentionally you have cut across someones ego, or someone is abusive, keep you calm and just dont look into his eyes, mantain a smile. Not for him, but for my inner peace
5. Always give indicators
6. Left most lane is and will be bikers paradise
7. Use horns implicitly near busstands, and crossings/intersections to warn off the proclaimed blind pedestrians and 2 wheelers. Just in case they are deaf too, legs are always ready to brake. (i know i add to noise pollution but then to save some idiot, this much I think is OK)
8. If an abusive driver is not giving me lane, or any lack of space, or a yellow number plate marching down a 1 way even though i was first and i flashed lights, - I stop completely and do not budge. Its not tit for tat. but I stand my grounds and have always made sure the other has backed off
9. In slow moving traffic or signal stop i do not leave distance between my front and left neighbors. this is the place through which maximum 2 wheelers try to pass and sometimes scratching my car. Right side i am vigilant to see the 2 wheelers action and my stare is always on him, so he gives up the thought of that maneuver
10. In traffic or signal, I make sure to keep myself amused by the tadap and khujli of the 2 wheelers and the uncivilised riders
11. On ORR and wide roads after a signal opens the 2 wheelers spread out like hot oil in a tawa. So I make sure if I am at front, I zoom past early enough so that I dont have to honk and bring them in line. (I am an aggressive driver when it comes to pickup)

Thread Starter #11

early morning morons.. who see the road is empty and just zoom by.. Bikes are common, but nowadays I am seeing a new trend.. the big yellow school buses. They race each other, jostle for space in dense traffic junctions, to avoid signals and u turns, they blindly break rules and signals (coming in wrong direction for whole 500 metres in outer ring road and that too without switching on the headlight.. some major damage is waiting to happen).. and all this when the educated teachers are sitting inside, who are oblivious to all these and what matters to them is to reach school at the earliest. Kids love the speed and take it and the lot many traffic violations as part of everyday driving (when the driver does it and teacher doesn't oppose, obviously it qualifies for a child's consent), but in long term they are being trained to become road freaks when they grow up.
What unsettles me more is that every damn school bus driver is up for using these tricks. And the ones who are still following the rules will be pushed to violate it because of peer pressure.. Ha!!! True, India is an independent country and people are free to use their freedom and do whatever they want and create their own rules [gun][rules]. As Figoian had already captured above, we remain Uncivilized (and with pride) [frustration]

Thread Starter #12

In bangalore, I happen to see a common nuisance almost everyday. On a traffic signal / slow moving traffic, the bikers and the scooters take over footpath. On objecting to this abuses are hurled in dozens, as these kind of offenders are mainly the localities or the uneducated people. Watching them others also follow and break the rules.

To add to the apathy, nowadays even the software engineers and the MBAs are leading the pack driving on footpaths. On two occasions I have even seen car being driven with both left tires on footpath and the right ones on road, and surprisingly on both instance the lawbreaker was an educated office going chap.

Would like to take this issue on this forum. Is this a common sight in other cities as well? And how to control this, and if being chased by a two wheeler while you are walking on a footpath, how to react?

Adding to this the footpath bike rider has the audacity to horn and abuse the footpath walker also.
Daily I used to pass through the BTM lake road (29th Main). There you will find all the biker may be 90% of them are riding on the footpath. Some other smart alec drive on the opposite lane to beat the traffic. While doing this they also create some jam for the incoming vehicle. But Have seen nobody really care about that.

The biker and yellow plate guys as always on the some sort of presidential confidential duty or their back is always on fire when the sit on the vehicle seat. So they are in such a hurry to reach the destination.

At night on highways, many people just fit them self to overtaking line and even after lot of flashes and horns didn't give you way to pass. And then all you have to overtake them from left.

While on single road, i have observed that trucks will low their beam while approaching you but a car will never do so even if you gave him dozens of pass lights. Ego problem?

Last edited:

While on single road, i have observed that trucks will low their beam while approaching you but a car will never do so even if you gave him dozens of pass lights. Ego problem?
you are right buddy. Now a days truck drivers (even taxi drivers also) follow some basic rules at least on highways. But many private car owners will simply drive like a moron. I really don't understand what's the problem in lowering the beam. As you said may be ego problem or may be they are ignorant fool.

Top Bottom