Fatal Road Accidents: What's The Correct Reaction?

Thread Starter #1
I have this very question in my mind and I still have found any satisfactory answers to it.
Question is, when driving on a express way/highway at speed of 100/110 KMPH there is very little time to react if a pedestrian jumps out and comes directly into your oncoming lane, you manage to hit him/her/child and he/she dies, what must one do in such situations?

Option 1. Stick around to judge the situation accordingly? Which is suicidal.
Option 2. Flee to the nearest police station to report it - Would that be considered as hit and run?

Are we at fault? Technically No! But the thumb rule in India is, you're at fault because you're in a car [frustration]

Please give suggestions as this may help many in this sticky situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Fatal accidents: What is be the correct reaction?

There is a clear, lawful answer to this.

1. If you can stop and help, do it.

2. If you think that a mob will lynch you if you stopped and helped, drive away and report the incident to the nearest police station. It will not be treated as a hit and run case then.

Unfortunately the MOB mentality in India is too bad to imagine. The one who is more hurt is always right no matter he is on wrong way or has not obeyed the rules. However in such cases it depends on surrounding situation. If you feel that the society around where the accident has occurred seems to be non standard and supportive the best is to quickly move out from the place and rush to nearest police station and narrate the incident to them and they shall take care ahead. Although there are few bad experience here as well that Police might try to get some money out of it but atleast you and members inside car are safe. It won't be back on you as hit and run case if you on your own report to police station.

Top Bottom