Speed Breakers or Car Breakers - Do They Make Any Real Sense?

Thread Starter #1
Speed Breakers or Car Breakers - Time of India.

Some good news to share. Yet, would the mission be accomplished?

In my personal experience, out of few cities I had driven in India, Bangalore is the "worst" in terms of Speed Breakers, actually they are Car Breakers. "Highly" unscientific and unreasonably laid and at some places for no reasons. The municipal authorities believe it to be controlling the traffic, whereas in reality, they are the ones making it worse. They slow down the better moderate moving traffic due to their construction design which would make even a "Fortuner" to slow down to 0 KMPH [lol]. Worst are the ones where you can hardly find any road, yet speed breakers... Also, the ones placed in the critical places where already multiple bottlenecks are hampering the flow.

Even highways and elevated highways aren't spared in Karnataka. Here is the first I have ever seen Speed Breakers highways and elevated highways. Aren't that really killing the purpose of constructing Highways and Elevated Highways?

Moreover, with most of the cars coming with lower GC for better Highway Handling Characteristics, City riding is becoming a nightmare.

Please share your views on the real need for such Speed Breakers, how should they be, and suggestions to regularize them.

+100 Figoian, completely thoughtless on setting up these speed breakers by government officials.

Most important thing is the shape and size of those will make our life measurable many times. Many times I have seen that width is too small with abnormal height where you will have very bad impact with bike and with car it will hit whatever is the GC of the car and spoil the suspension set up, I wish we should start complaining to local municipal authorities on this to bring in a change

Thread Starter #3
Many times I have seen that width is too small with abnormal height where you will have very bad impact with bike and with car it will hit whatever is the GC of the car and spoil the suspension set up, I wish we should start complaining to local municipal authorities on this to bring in a change
Exactly... At times I imagine, I could put my legs down on the road (while seated), lift the car with hands and place it on the other side after crossing the Speed Breaker [lol].

I remember my friends Swift lost 3 alloy wheels after hitting a hump.The rims were 16 inch size.

In Bangalore i have noticed more of the Ramp style speed breakers now which two wheelers fly over(they just lift a bit off the seat) but cars do slow down.

And i must tell you its been a long time since i have heard a supercar go past two gear shifts,except for a Gtr which managed 3 changes before breaking.
But that made me think every road in Bangalore has a speed breaker now [cry]. I pity car owners such as Civic,Figo etc. But i notice people who want to cross the road still have to play Neo from Matrix & dodge two wheelers.

Last edited:
The worst part is driving at night. Most of the speed breakers are invisible at night and we will come to know only when the car hit them. It is dangerous.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![frustration][gun]

That's about 10% of how I feel whenever my car has to go over those damned car breakers.

I do not have the statistics on this but I can say from personal experience that these car breakers account for 20% of all suspension problems. Khadannnggggg....clinggg...............bammmmm.............gurrrrrr..............boooooooom. Even a Sunny Deol punch cannot create such damage. "Hey, I am a speed breaker. And I will break your car. Yeah I will."

An i10 broke its front axle here while trying to negotiate such a car annihilator few weeks back. Shall try to post the image - it was front page news in the local daily.

God, I am sure my car would be shivering even as I type this. My goosepimples and heckles do not count.

I would love to probe deeper whether car makers secretly pay these civil contractors to erect such spiky suspension busters on the road; the deadly "you break more suspension, we sell more spares" nexus.

Whatever happened to the Indian Road Congress specifications for speed breaker design?

Pages - IRC

Speed breakers near Educational institutions, crowd gathering places are very much a necessity as not every one is a responsible driver. But the establishment of speed breakers leaves a lot to be desired and cruel thing is, at most of the places there are no signposts or painting on the road warning the drivers of their presence. In chennai, they are experimenting with the plastic ones which eventhough are not mount everest juniors, but going over them shakes everything so violently that you cringe at the sight of them.

OT: If you want to remove speed breakers from your road, arrange a function to be attended by some senior ministers/CM. Two days before the function, you will notice that all the speed breakers have vanished!!![frustration]

In Bangalore good road are not important but speed breaker are most important. If a road will be newly laid, then after 2 days there will n number of speed breaker that to which can break your body part, forget about the car body part.

But for some those speed breaker are nothing, they will pass through it as plain normal road.

In Bangalore You will find speed breaker after fly over because that place is public made bus stop.

The speed breakers should be designed in such a way that it regulates speed, not bring down the car to an almost stop. I have noticed on those unscientific speed breakers that causes the nose of the car to dive, drivers get frustrated as they have to brake hard, shift to 1st and have to gain the pace again. And after the bump, they are not ready to give way to pedestrian or other vehicles to cross the road.

IMHO anything that makes you stop hard will annoy the driver and make him/her drive fast again.

Speed breakers are such a pain in back side.

I am not sure how many knows this , but the highway from Akola to Amravati have 42 speed breakers for the stretch of 32 KM road. How stupid is this. [anger]

Thread Starter #12
Speed breakers are such a pain in back side.

I am not sure how many knows this , but the highway from Akola to Amravati have 42 speed breakers for the stretch of 32 KM road. How stupid is this. [anger]
Woowww... Love to drive in that road... [lol]

BTW, happy to know that there are also other places than Karnataka which has these stupid humps on highways.

Thread Starter #14
Hahahahahaha Figoian they exist every where in India !!

The problems are mainly 1) their size 2) the locations
True RK. You won't believe, after moving to Bangalore (just a year before), my 3 year old son, who always plays with cars had started playing 2 different games.
  • Park all the cars he got in one place. You know what? That's nothing but a game called "Traffic Jam"...
  • Keeps pillows etc. and ride over it. That's "Speed Breaker"...

These days, he couldn't drive without these two [clap]

:lol!: Hahahahaha the thing children notice so quickly and our government officials sleep always as I complained about the speed breakers in my area so many times to them, but no action at all

Top Bottom