The Anti Auto-Theft Programme

Thread Starter #1
Just happened to bump in to this very useful "Auto-theft programme" on DEPARTMENT OF POLICE, Delhi, India and thought of sharing it here.

PREVENT AUTO THEFT
To a thief, there's nothing like a car. The car and most especially its components, are items in steady demand.
The owner or authorized driver of a car should not leave the vehicle unattended without locking the ignition and removing the key. A significant number of automobiles are stolen because drivers fail to remove ignition keys.

ESTABLISH GROUND RULES

• All members of the family should know how to protect the car against theft. Licenses, registration cards or other identifying papers that a thief could misuse should never be left in the car.
  • Keys should be carefully guarded. If the keys have punch-out numbers these should be removed and kept at home for reference in case of loss.
HOW TO GIVE A THIEF A HARD TIME
  • Park in a well-lighted area
  • Close all windows, lock all doors
  • Activate any theft deterrent device you may have
  • Put packages or valuable out of sight: Tape and cassette decks and other expensive items in full view invite theft.
  • Do not keep license, registration or title in car. If left in car, thieves can use these documents to sell your car if stolen, or to impersonate you when they are challenged by police. Owners who indiscriminately leave keys, registrations and other identifiable material in their vehicles may return to their residence only to find that they are the victims of a burglary.
  • If you have a garage, use it. Lock both the vehicle and the garage.
PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION PAY
  • Identification of stolen vehicles after they have been recovered continues to plague car owners, police and auto insurers.
  • Etch the Vehicle Registration Number in several hard-to-find spots, using an engraving tool.
  • If your car is stolen, the police will need specific information to identify the car, parts and accessories. Take the time to record detailed information.
  • If a car thief replaces your license plates, alters the vehicle identification number or repaints the car, other points of identification will be available.

AUTO THEFT SECURITY DEVICES
In order to secure your car several devices may be installed to deter or prevent theft of the car or any of its parts or contents. Anti-theft devices, expensive or not, are going to deter the inexperienced theft. The installation of anti-theft devices would provide obstacles to even the experienced thief by increasing the thieft's exposure to arrest.
  • IGNITION CUT-OFF: A key-operated or hidden manual switch that interrupts the power supply from the battery to the ignition.
  • FUEL CUT-OFF: Integrated into the fuel line, this device prevents the flow of gasoline once the fuel in the gas line is used. Only a special key deactivates the cut-off.
  • IGNITION COLUMN GUARD: This security device can provide protection to the ignition starting system. The device fits around the steering column and over the ignition starting system.
  • DOOR LOCKS: Visible inside door lock buttons should be smooth and tapered.
  • ANTI-THEFT STEERING WHEEL LOCK: Locks on and prevents steering wheel from turning. Its high visibility deters theft.
  • TRUNK LOCK: As an auxiliary or secondary locking device, a heavy duty chain lock may be installed inside the trunk and is key-operated.
PERSONAL SAFETY
Proper maintenance of your vehicle will prevent routine breakdowns thereby avoiding vulnerable situations.
Check the following items on a routine basis:
  • Tire pressure and wear
  • Oil and brake fluid levels
  • Battery fluid
  • Radiator water level
The following items should be in your vehicle at all times for emergency situations:
  • Screwdriver
  • Pliers
  • Jack/Spare tire
  • Battery jumper cables and procedure for boosting
  • Auto insurance card
  • First Aid Kit and Blanket
IF YOUR CAR DOES GET STOLEN
  • Report theft to police.
source: http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/home/auto-theft-new.htm
Other useful links:
Search for Stolen Vehicles:

DEPARTMENT OF POLICE, Delhi, India
Check for Stolen Vehicle - Lost Vehicle Database - CID, West Bengal, India
Stolen Vehicle Tracker
Welcome to MPD, INDIA !!!
Zonal Integrated Police Network (zipnet.in)

Things to do when your vehicle is stolen
http://www.drivespark.com/how-to/things-to-do-vehicle-theft-
004636.html#slide143805

Please continue sharing useful information here on this very important topic of vehicle theft.

Last edited:
Re: The auto-theft programme thread

Identification of stolen vehicles after they have been recovered continues to plague car owners, police and auto insurers.
Explain this please.

Do not keep license, registration or title in car. If left in car, thieves can use these documents to sell your car if stolen, or to impersonate you when they are challenged by police. Owners who indiscriminately leave keys, registrations and other identifiable material in their vehicles may return to their residence only to find that they are the victims of a burglary.
And this as well.
Rgds

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Explain this please.
Already explained a few line below there.[:)]
  • If your car is stolen, the police will need specific information to identify the car, parts and accessories.
  • If a car thief replaces your license plates, alters the vehicle identification number or repaints the car, other points of identification will be available.
And this as well.
This has been listed under "HOW TO GIVE A THIEF A HARD TIME".
If the key is left in the car/or the car left unlocked the thieves could flee not just with the car alone but other documents stored in it as well which could make their life easier while driving away with the car.
Just my understanding after reading it.

I mean we are suppose to keep original documents in car especially for person like me who do interstate and inter-district tours.
It was highly bothersome for me as photocopies are not allowed.

Thread Starter #5

I mean we are suppose to keep original documents in car especially for person like me who do interstate and inter-district tours.
Are we ?
I don't carry any documents in Original except the PUC and DL, even during inter-state drives.
It was highly bothersome for me as photocopies are not allowed.
I will have notarised copies of my RC as a proof with me mostly and didn't have to use even that until now.

Thread Starter #6
As per page 166/rule -139 of THE CENTRAL MOTOR VEHICLES RULES, 1989:
Production of license and certificate of registration.
—The driver or conductor of a motor vehicle shall produce certificate of registration, insurance, fitness and permit, the driving license and any other relevant documents on demand by any police officer in uniform or any other officer authorize d by the State Government in this behalf, and if any or all of the documents are not in his possession, he shall produce in person an extract or extracts of the documents duly attested by any police officer or by any other officer or send it to the officer who demand ed the documents by registered post within 15 days from the date of demand.

—The driver or conductor of a motor vehicle shall produce certificate of registration, insurance, fitness and permit, the driving license and any other relevant documents on demand by any police officer in uniform or any other officer authorize d by the State Government in this behalf, and if any or all of the documents are not in his possession, he shall produce in person an extract or extracts of the documents duly attested by any police officer or by any other officer or send it to the officer who demand ed the documents by registered post within 15 days from the date of demand.
Who is this any other officer.You lost me there.

While doing interstate tours I am quite apprehensive, as kind of Police men we meet on way i.e. pan in mouth,talking like an illiterate ,demanding in crude style "original dikhao, varna 500 rupaye bharo"

Thread Starter #9
Any police officer ? or gazetted officer ? Why can't things be stated clearly on these important rule books at least.[frustration]

While doing interstate tours I am quite apprehensive, as kind of Police men we meet on way i.e. pan in mouth,talking like an illiterate ,demanding in crude style "original dikhao, varna 500 rupaye bharo"
Very unfortunate isn't it?

There is also something called 'MASTER PASS' which can be obtained from the concerned RTO on request/application.

It will contain all the details, including Tax paid, Insurance and Driving license details in one consolidate certificate with the photo of the registered owner affixed on it.

Now a days most RC books are converted to Smart Cards (which shows all details). Also Insurance is a sheet of paper (which can be folded). I do not understand why cannot anyone keep these two things in the purse where you keep all Credit Card, Pan card or DL. If you are driving/traveling in the car, the documents always go with you.

By the way for interstate journey also I used colored photocopies nicely laminated [:D]

My bad luck , I have not been caught by any cop (at least for documents) so far.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #11
Here you go[:)] Should work here, not tried it though.
I was thinking of having a copy of the motor vehicle Rules:stupid:
By the way for interstate journey also I used colored photocopies nicely laminated

Last edited:

Top Bottom