Does Turning On Headlamps Gives You a Right To Drive in Wrong Lane?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
You want to travel in the opposite direction but too lazy to take a U-Turn a couple of kilometers ahead? No problems. Just switch on those headlamps and you’re all set to drive in the wrong lane. Yup, welcome to India. I’m quite sure it is something that many of us on the forum would have observed. I wonder if switching on the headlamps give those folks a right to drive in the wrong lane. Thoughts anyone?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
You know what; it becomes more ironical when you spot a police patrol car doing so that too in Delhi.

Drive Safe,
350Z

You want to travel in the opposite direction but too lazy to take a U-Turn a couple of kilometers ahead? No problems. Just switch on those headlamps and you’re all set to drive in the wrong lane. Welcome to India. I’m quite sure it is something many of us on the forum would have observed. I wonder if switching on the headlamps give those folks a right to drive in the wrong lane. Thoughts anyone?

Drive Safe,
350Z
A common scene in India, a silly practice by Bikers, share autos etc without knowing the exact consequence. Also they often shuffle the two lane users to a near accident in some curves[frustration]. Even Government Buses do this often to take U turns as they come out of service roads.

NO. However in India, people are used to and know how to tune in a particular thing in their favor, even if it is a nuisance to others.

You know what; it becomes more ironical when you spot a police patrol car doing so that too in Delhi.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Very good thread !!!

As far as I know Police vehicles , Fire Brigade and Ambulance are exempt from these kind of rules.

For others, fine should be imposed immediately. In city traffic enforcement cameras are handy. But in highways [frustration]

This is way too common in Noida. At many places on roads 'U' turns have been designed but people are often found taking these U's from the opposite directions and in most cases just to avoid going just 200-300 mtrs. It just infuriates me and at time I just bring my car damn in front of their's and force them to take the U back in reverse gear.

I have begun to think it is a unwritten traffic law in India.They might have forgot to write this in law book.
It is good that atleast they are turning on the lights, so that you spot them from distance. This is very common sight now a day on the high way. Atleast in City it is somewhat manageable but in highway it is really scary.I also have encountered such moron many time,but what to do in highway.
One more thing I am very scared on highway is from no where somebody will pop out from the median. Some people break open the median in between to pass the two wheeler and cycle through the median. They never I try to notice if any vehicle is coming or not. They will pop out and simply carry on.

I encounter this everyday on my way to office. we have to take highway and then service road. these 'daylight' morons are always driving on the high speed lane..which is their left side.

that too with good speed. I wonder what important things they must be up to that the go such an extent to risk their lives for to save those few minutes [frustration]

fuel is also one reason, even some trucks and tractors drive such way. sometimes i feel like riding a road roller and pushing them out of the road,that may teach them a lesson. [glasses]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good thread !!!

As far as I know Police vehicles , Fire Brigade and Ambulance are exempt from these kind of rules.

For others, fine should be imposed immediately. In city traffic enforcement cameras are handy. But in highways [frustration]
No mate, no one is exempt from it, not even emergency services, it only that their left because they are/might be on a emergency

This normally happens or done by ambulance mostly or if and only there is a traffic jam on their lane but still there is a high risk of some one not noticing the ambulance coming towards them on a wrong side, and when i see Maruti omni ambulance taking off in speeds uff its highly dangerous it does scare me off

I have also heard someone saying that if a ambulance on duty kills someone by a accident its not a case, come on to save a life you take another life and is it fair [frustration] the motto of emergency services is to save lives and not kill other lives due to their mistakes

No mate, no one is exempt from it, not even emergency services, it only that their left because they are/might be on a emergency

This normally happens or done by ambulance mostly or if and only there is a traffic jam on their lane but still there is a high risk of some one not noticing the ambulance coming towards them on a wrong side, and when i see Maruti omni ambulance taking off in speeds uff its highly dangerous it does scare me off

I have also heard someone saying that if a ambulance on duty kills someone by a accident its not a case, come on to save a life you take another life and is it fair [frustration] the motto of emergency services is to save lives and not kill other lives due to their mistakes
As per MV Act driver/s are bound to give way to Ambulance/Police/Fire Tenders be it any side of the road. Rightly said any accident caused by them is your fault and not theirs. That is why these vehicles are equipped by hooters/sirens

As per MV Act driver/s are bound to give way to Ambulance/Police/Fire Tenders be it any side of the road. Rightly said any accident caused by them is your fault and not theirs. That is why these vehicles are equipped by hooters/sirens
These power are also misused by the concern person. Although I have never Fire truck misusing this but other do. The siren is mostly misused by Ambulance .

These power are also misused by the concern person. Although I have never Fire truck misusing this but other do. The siren is mostly misused by Ambulance .
But here is Bangalore I rarely see people giving way to Ambulance. Yes, in India power is given to be misused at every level.

Top Bottom