Driving Best Practices & Enjoyable Driving Tips

Thread Starter #1
Hello Every One,

I just want to share few driving Tips what I experienced and consolidated over a period of time since 2004 with more than 1 Lakhs of Kilometers all together.

General Rules:
1. Enjoy Driving rather than keeping yourself under Pressure.
2. Always don't disturb Drivers of kind Aged and Amateur.
3. Know your Speed Limits and the Vehicle's Limit too :-)
4. Obey Traffic Rules.
5. Kind and Spare few seconds during Animal Crossing. [ Also applicable for Pedestrians too :smile: ]

Rules which Benefits You and For your Vehicle too:

1. Plan your Trip and Start during early morning time around 4:30am.
2. This will be ideal for you and as well as your engine as the climate is cool.
3. Also the traffic will be lesser as compared to other timings. [ But, beware of Sleepy Cargo Drivers [drive] ]
4. Even during that time, you don't need to keep your AC in 2 points.
5. Prefer Roads with Proper Dividers and Medians as compared to Roads without Medians
where-in you need to overtake the Slow moving vehicle to go Further on the Opposite Lane which is Very Dangerous. (It will be an unpleasant driving, If no other available, very careful on these roads)

6. Maintain a consistent RPM not the Speed.
7. Maintaining a constant Speed would vary the RMP during the climbing up and down on Bridges.
8. Hence maintain the same RPM not the Speed which would give a good mileage.

9. Driving around 80Kms/Hr in a vehicle with 1.3 to 1.5CC would be ideal.
10. You can Enjoy Driving while driving on a Limited and consistent Speed.
11. Rather if you go beyond 100Kmph which would always need your 100% extra Vigilance on Road.:eek:
12. Your Eyes and Body altogether will be easily strained on such faster Drives with more than 100Kmph.
13. Calculate the difference in hours of driving around 80Kmph over driving with 100+Kmph, The difference would not be more than an Hour or So.
14. Driving around 80Kms will give you an excellent mileage also you can enjoy driving and the Nature around you too.

Note: I personally experience all these, when I had a 400Kms trip from Chennai in my Ford iKon. During that trip I knew my Tires are expiring and they need to be changed as they touched 50,000Kms mark on my Odo. Hence, I made a plan to drive Safe around 80Kms unlike my other trips which would vary from minimum 90Kmph - 120Kmph.
The Result was: I was not at all tried even after the 5 Hour Trip and was very Fresh as if some one else drove the car for me and as If I was the co-passenger with no Strain. I got an awesome mileage during that trip by checking the Fuel Levels.
Since that day, my driving method got changed and all my trips are happy & strain free Trips.

There are more Auto Experts in this forum, I would like them to add more and the missed outs and also share their Experience too.

Thanks.

Nice thread buddy.[cheers]

Yes driving constantly at 80KM/hr will give you more mileage than say 100 or 120 but one shouldn't relax their concentration. Should always concentrate while driving and it doesn't depend on speed whether you are doing 80 or 120. Accidents happen in split of a second of lack in concentration. I have never crossed 100km/hr in both of my cars and i am sure i will never do. Just want everyone travelling with me to feel comfortable and also i will get good mileage[clap]

Regards,
Sankar

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Sankar.

I didn't say that we can relax our concentration at 80kmph.
As you said, Even a fraction of second if we miss the road, could be a disaster whatever speed we are.

Rather, I would like to compare the Strain and the Alertness and the most importantly the Confident of Stopping the vehicle when a sudden Cattle/People crossing or any Sudden Obstacle/Bump on the Road is Ease at lower speed around 80Kms.

That confidence, will always give us a Stress-free Relaxed and comfortable Driving.
Or else, driving will be a pain like other Taxi drivers, which is their Profession.
But for us it should be a happy and enjoyable drive.

Regards,

Nothing wrong on touching 100km/hour on a moderate acceleration,
On a plain road with the same amount of pressure on the accelerator pedal which we apply at 80kmph, the car will reach 100kmph for sure,in such a case it do not affect the mileage.
The fuel consumption is same on 80 and 100 in this case.
So you need not want to cut the accelerator for mileage as soon as the car reaches 80kmph.
But as stated on other posts,drive safe,
It is more safe on 80 than 100.

Last edited:
Thanks Sankar.

I didn't say that we can relax our concentration at 80kmph.
As you said, Even a fraction of second if we miss the road, could be a disaster whatever speed we are.

Rather, I would like to compare the Strain and the Alertness and the most importantly the Confident of Stopping the vehicle when a sudden Cattle/People crossing or any Sudden Obstacle/Bump on the Road is Ease at lower speed around 80Kms.

That confidence, will always give us a Stress-free Relaxed and comfortable Driving.
Or else, driving will be a pain like other Taxi drivers, which is their Profession.
But for us it should be a happy and enjoyable drive.

Regards,
Well said buddy. Stopping power will be much better at lower speeds and this stopping power depends on vehicles too. For a small hatch like Alto/Nano i think safe speed should be 40-50, i10/wagonr/indica should be 60-70, swift/polo/i20/punto should be 70-80, sedans like Dzire/Manza/Logan/Fiesta Classic/Etios should be 80-90 while proper sedan like Veran/Vento/Fiesta/Linea should be 100. Just my assumptions[:)]

Regards,
Sankar

bhvm

Honoured Member
@vrsmip
Your Post just sounds like my dad. Since ages he has been giving these insights to us[clap]

We usually start early morning at 4AM. Then we stop for breakfast @ 8 on some Dhaba. We have had crossed the bulk of our journey by then without Traffic,sun and mess! We usually roll into our destination at 10AM and have full day at our disposal.

@SankarNarayanan,
You have judged the Speeds very accurately. I own Hyundai i10 and feels safest bewteen 60~70 and thats what we drive. Let me add a few cars for ya-

Scorpio/Safari/XUV500/ Captiva/Aria- 110~120KMPH
MUVs like Innova/Ertiga/Nissan enjoy/Tavera- 90KMPH
Old Fortuner- 80 (Worst brakes!!)
Chevy Cruize/BMW/Merc/Audi- 120KMPH (higher speeds not safe in INDIA)
Tata Zest/Amaze/Dzire/SX4/Ford fiesta/Honda City- 80~90KMPH.

Some tips from my side-
Check your Vehicle before starting- Esp Tyres, Brakes, Wiper jet water, Lamps, Fuel, Documents/License
Keep atleast a xerox copy of license in your all cars
Keep some penny change and toll money in car. (we have a small wallet for the same)
Carry Swiss knife/Tool kit
Carry 2~3 water bottles in car permanently
Use proper headlamp etiquette. Dip the beams for oncoming vehicles. Do not use after-market lamps with traffic.

Anticipate Turns, Speed breakers and other slowdowns. From few hundread Meters away, press the cluch and coast the vehicle to the speed breaker. it saves fuel.

Turn on GPS even if you don't need one. It shows the Curves of road well ahed and helps plan speed/Maneuver/Lanes.

Will add more soon.

Last edited:
Few points I would like to add

1) My Dad says most road accidents happen during early hours. The reason is many people starting at 3:30 AM or 4 AM will get up atleast 1 hour before to get ready and that contributes to lack of sleep. So, always start at a time comfortable to you.

2) If going for vacation then its better to carry a case of water bottles as many available outside are fake and price will be on higher side.

After lots of night drives, What i have concluded is,
Night not the best to drive, yet i prefer night driving:stupid: ! At the night times fuel consumption will be good, Engine wont heatup much.
Mainly no problem from pedastrians, bikers(commutators) and less braking.
Loud music, soft drinks, varying speed can help you to prevent from sleeping.

To me a safe speed depends on vechiles abilities, a speed of 110 on sumo is suicidal on the other hand a speed of 110 on a audi is a very safe.

while driving my safari, i always keep the speed to 80,90 on single lanes and on natinal highways i maintain it between 100-110.

when i drive my freinds's audi (he doesn't like long drives), i maintain speeds of 120-130 constantly.

when driving heavy vehicles it's best to keep it between 50-70.

sedans like honda city, verna are better to driven between 100-120 with a lot of caution. skoda superb, vento is car that amazed with it's brakes and handling. confident enough to push above 120 with ease.

I always respect truck and bus drivers, i horn them twice even in night until i get a clear view and signal from them, i don't make overtake manovers. This is because having driven heavy vehicles i know a car zig zaging or a car appearing in ORVM suddenly and making a tight move is a nightmare for a heavy vehicle driver.

Just to add some here -

• Check if your wipers are in a good condition even if it is a hot, dry summer (weather conditions can vary suddenly). Also check if you have enough washer fluid
  • Top up the coolant overflow tank to its max mark and carry some more back in the boot (Not that necessary but in case your radiator fan goes bust, keep enough to get you to a mech)
  • Keep:
  • The car manual in the car always. You never know when you need some basic but vital info. (E.g. Car manufacturer's roadside assistance number, fluid quantity etc.)
  • Spare lights. If possible, tail lights too
  • Water. Lots of it
  • Some snacks
  • Brake fluid (How do you know if the hydraulic system is leaking?)
  • A good quality knife/baseball bat/bamboo [evil]
  • 1-2 liters of fuel (Diesel only. Petrol/CNG/LPG are too risky. Also, if the container is full, it would be better (since diesel cannot ignite in liquid form, and if the container is full it cannot expand enough to turn into vapor))
  • The First-Aid Kit (you can make one at your home too)
  • The usual kit - Camera if necessary, jumpstart cables, towing cable (3 tons at least - Better safe than sorry), puncture-repair kit

Hope I helped.

Coasting technique-
During highway ride what i usually do as mine doesn't have cruise control,to enhance mileage and to maintain a speed, i throttle to desired kilometre-say 70 km,then i will let it reduce to 45-50 km(leaving foot off acclereator ),again raise to 70 and so on.

This is a proven technique,it will maintain mileage and a speed is well in control.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Coasting technique-
During highway ride what i usually do as mine doesn't have cruise control,to enhance mileage and to maintain a speed, i throttle to desired kilometre-say 70 km,then i will let it reduce to 45-50 km(leaving foot off acclereator ),again raise to 70 and so on.

This is a proven technique,it will maintain mileage and a speed is well in control.
seems wrong. you use up more fuel to revv up than to maintain a steady speed. try driving at constant 60 kmph and observe your efficiency.

Coasting technique-
Hi Vishnu,

Most of the present cars are highly fuel efficient in the speed range of approx 60-80kmph

Its even more fuel efficient when the car moves without applying throttle(like when leaving the foot off from the accelerator at high speed.)

But the most fuel consumption takes place when the car needs to get into the fuel efficient speed range and when the car needs to drive beyond the fuel efficient speed range.

try driving at constant 60 kmph and observe your efficiency
I second to bhvm.

If you find it to be proven, then your car is not at all fuel efficient at 70kmph. Try reducing the speed.

To make the drive more enjoyable and comfortable, always let the speedy vehicles behind you to overtake without any greedy thoughts in our mind.[lol]
When you are on a strange route, find a vehicle cruising in a comfortable speed range and just follow them by keeping a safe distance. So you dont need stress more to find potholes on an unknown road[:D]

Regards.,

Last edited:

Top Bottom