Met With an Accident Yesterday

Thread Starter #1
Hi Team
I met with an accident yesterday. On a junction my car hit a motorcycle with 2 persons.
One person was unharmed but the other had a deep cut on his ankel. I took the person to the hospital where he was given 11 stiches and then they also took the Xray to confirm any fracture but fortunately there was none.
I paid all the hospital bills and also dropped the person to his home.
There was a letter which was signed by both of us that the person whom i hit is not willing to file a police complaint.
Now the doctors told the person to come for dressing on Monday and he took my number and told me that he would call me for expenses.
My question is do I need to pay for these expenses as well?
I did my job of taking the person to hospital where he was attended and also paid for his medicine for the 10 days.
How much long do I need to pay for him?
My car's bumper also went for a toss.
It is completely broken and i will also have to replace it which will cost me.
I need your suggestions on the same on how should i proceed.
Should i also pay for his due on monday?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

whose fault was it ?
on humanitarian grounds you can pay for the expenses but dont let them tale undue advantage of the situation. one should know when to say no.

my 2 cents

he might not be able to go to work for a few days with so many stitches at the ankle. pay him a few more and then tell him in no terms- thats that no more. some people will go on pestering you for more and will put all his ailements on the accident.

Accidents are common and nobody does it intentionally. If the mistake is yours you may offer him some help and please explain the monetary loss of yours as well. I wish the person a speedy recovery!

Drive safe!

Its double edged sword in really. On humanitarian grounds its nice of you to offer help, but some times people take advantages. So use your judgement, if you think that its your mistake and because of you he is now not able to go to work etc then you may support him. But I feel you should let him know your obligations in a nice way that he understands and accepts. Its a tricky situation.

You can pay for him on humanitarian grounds. But if it was not your fault fully or partially you can opt of from paying.

In India people take things for granted.

Thread Starter #7
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the comments. Now I have a question regarding the bumper of my car.
There is a hole in it now due to the impact and also the alignment has been disturbed.
The left headlamp is fine but the fiber which holds it up has been broken.
Now I talked to a local garage and they told me that they will do the alignment and also fix the fiber of the headlamp for 1000 INR.
I also went to the dealer and as usual they told me that they will replace the entire headlamp cluster and the bumper the cost would be around 17 to 18 K and if I claim insurance it would be 50 % that I will have to pay.
I need your suggestions.
What should i do ?
I am ok with the bumper right now since I dont want to replace it.if only the fiber is broken is is not non sense that we have to replace the entire headlamp cluster?

Go with the local guy as far as bumper damage is concerned.

If you can post some pictures of the headlight after accident, can comment after seeing same.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #10
Hi Guys
There has been a twist in the story. The guy called me and told me to deposit 5k in his account which i refused.
He has threatened me that he will file a police complaint.
What Should I do now?
Should i go the legal way since this guy will keep me pestering for more and legally this will be solved once for all
what are your comments?
Please reply

This is pure blackmail. He cannot just milk money out of you. Where is that letter which he signed that he will not file police complaint.
Please do not pay him any more, and before he goes to police, go to the police station in which jurisdiction accident happened and file a complaint against him for harassment, with copy of letter which he signed. Get legal help for sure.

Sad to note that buddy !! I second the suggestion from Anshuman here. How much money you paid so far for him ??

Who's mistake was it ??

It should have been better thing that you should have avoided that letter thing and just pay the amount at the hospital and walk away

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Hi Guys
I have one more question.
If he files and FIR then am i liable to get arrested?
Or should i tell the police that they can file the court case and whatever court decides that would be followed?

dont fall to his whims. tell him to go ahead with the FIR
IMO, he is using pressure tactics to get more from you. anyways you paid the hospital bills etc

also u mentioned u have a letter signed by him that he wont file a police complaint in your first post. Had i been in your shoes, i would now add his number to my black list.

btw, u never mentioned whose fault was it.

Thread Starter #15
dont fall to his whims. tell him to go ahead with the FIR
IMO, he is using pressure tactics to get more from you. anyways you paid the hospital bills etc

also u mentioned u have a letter signed by him that he wont file a police complaint in your first post. Had i been in your shoes, i would now add his number to my black list.

btw, u never mentioned whose fault was it.
Hi Nitin
The letter is not with me but with the hospital where we went on the date of the accident.
I have already added his number to my black list. the reason I didnt tell you guys whose fault is it because honestly i dont know.
We were on a round junction and i had to go straight and he had to go straight as well in other direction. His motorcycle was hit by my car since he didnt slow down on the junction. the hit was from side and not from back.
Even the traffic lights were not working on that junction. I was barely at 20 KM/hr speed since i know of these idiots and always slow down on junction.

Top Bottom