How To Control Your Car in Panic Situations?

Thread Starter #1
HOW TO CONTROL A CAR IN PANIC SITUATIONS LIKE BRAKE FAILURE

Situation i faced on my CBR in my recent trip to Nasik .

I was as always moving at high speed , Near Vasind i see a Long Right hand Curve coming i was still going at same speed , after few meters before entering into the corner i tried to engaged front brake Nothing happen ! the bite was missing from front end instantly i realized that Front brake of my bike is'nt working at all . Now i grabbed lever with all three fingers and tried to Pump it few time but all in Vain . So i tapped Rear brak few times blipped throttle Downshifted to 4th from 6th . Bike slowed down to90-95kmph .

By this time it was too late , Only option was to lean further into corner and try to make it at same speed, Due my experience in biking i managed it . Pulled over to road side and noticed that Brake Fluid was leaking from bleeder Nut and there was brake oil all over disk and caliper . Cleaned it and then came back home at snails speed :P

After coming home i just asked question to my self that what if i was Driving my Ertiga and had faced similar problem ? What should i do if i face Brake failure in a Car ? On motorcycle it is relatively easy since Bikes have 2 individual brake Systems and paddles and High Riving engines . So you always have one brake working in case . But in cars mostly braking is controlled by some mechanical parts .

So experts please guide me on How to control a car in case of brake failure ? i)On straight roads ii) On Curves . iii)on Downhill

HOW TO CONTROL A CAR IN PANIC SITUATIONS LIKE BRAKE FAILURE

After coming home i just asked question to my self that what if i was Driving my Ertiga and had faced similar problem ? What should i do if i face Brake failure in a Car ? On motorcycle it is relatively easy since Bikes have 2 individual brake Systems and paddles and High Riving engines . So you always have one brake working in case . But in cars mostly braking is controlled by some mechanical parts .

So experts please guide me on How to control a car in case of brake failure ? i)On straight roads ii) On Curves . iii)on Downhill
First of all you are lucky to get through the incident in your bike, we all must accept that one day we were some wanna be rossi's or whatever on our bikes, but its 100% true maturity comes with age and no one is perfect in this aspect

But as a thumb rule, never try any tricks on your two wheeler, i never do this because you risk your life more on a two wheeler, rather being on a 4 wheeler with safety like seat belts would you have controls at sane levels of speed

i)On straight roads

The most trickiest of all and needs presence of mind, first a quick look at your rear view mirror to see if some one is really closer by, followed by shifting down your gear and brake patiently along with your gear shifted down, this brings down the speed to a considerable extent, on event of a brake failure, shift down slowly and apply handbrakes at last

On Curves .

Keep to your left and make sure you don't brake first but shift down your gears initially, as you turn and then brake, as there is more chance of things to get worsen, avoid speeds on curves even if you are confident as you never know the guy who comes opposite on the same road and his proficiency to tackle curves without panic, a big no to speed on curves

on event of a brake failure, and keep away by avoiding the curve by steering yourself a bit more to the opposite corner of the curve and gradually downshift

on Downhill

Use your brakes sparingly and be on lower gears and don't accelerate a lot, driving downhill is so pleasurable that most of them get carried away, knowing least on the stop ability of their car, if some one behind is speeding up, give away and be in control, leave way for the opposite lane vehicles, keep good distance from heavy vehicles and NEVER OVERTAKE ON NARROW CURVES

on event of a brake failure, don't panic, just as other situations, downshifting is the only solution, you should downshift gradually and not step down lower initially as it tends to lead to a gear box failure at inappropriate speeds

On Rain

During the first rain after a long time, roads are slippery and even new tyres wouldn't stop if you brake at higher speeds, never cross the 3 digit speed as i said before not all who drives along with you are maniac, so better drive slow during rain

on event of a brake failure, use hazards first and downshift with holding tight on your steering as the road tends to be slippery and use handbrake at last to halt

As a basic rule for all a little bit of patience would have avoided accidents for all, most of the accidents are due to unwanted maneuvering/speeding which could have been easily averted

Any situation use Hazards slighly before panic situation if sensed by you earlier as its alerts the guys around, as this signal can be seen from far and hence most of the risk would be avoided

Last edited:
Are you by any chance a professional race driver or some similar or if you have such people in contact ?

or I feel maybe you can advice me .

If you have gone through my Punto90hp thread I have mentioned about an accident . My Punto hitting something somewhere 200km west of chennai ,I mean super smooth, tarmac,warm climate, full featured car loaded with 4 pax doing 70-90 kmph and brakes fully pressed-car not stopping,or ABS went hey wire, not sure.
I later regretted for not using handbrakes but it was within seconds it happened that my presence of mind dint help.
How does it is work out in such panic situations.Since then I have no trust in ABS or such assisted brakes.

How much does handbrakes aid ?

Are you by any chance a professional race driver or some similar or if you have such people in contact ?

or I feel maybe you can advice me .

If you have gone through my Punto90hp thread I have mentioned about an accident . My Punto hitting something somewhere 200km west of chennai ,I mean super smooth, tarmac,warm climate, full featured car loaded with 4 pax doing 70-90 kmph and brakes fully pressed-car not stopping,or ABS went hey wire, not sure.
I later regretted for not using handbrakes but it was within seconds it happened that my presence of mind dint help.
How does it is work out in such panic situations.Since then I have no trust in ABS or such assisted brakes.

How much does handbrakes aid ?
I told you to use hand brakes to come to a halt at lower speeds and not to use it as a secondary brake and though it wouldn't work either, try it at speeds of 40kmh or lesser to know how it works, just try it once

Your reflex and your experience is more to do with handling panic situations, i have been driving from a long time till now, 12 years to be precise and i am sure unless you see more or experience more nothing can be gained, i still remember my first panic situation and how i got out of it, but experience doesn't make me or anyone immune, but some what better in reacting to the situation and i believe you accept me on this, though i have seen the experience guy taking a beating, it also falls with whom you are to be involved during a panic situation, personally i hate tractors on my side of our roads and they are the most reckless and insane drivers to give you a real shocker on highways

Professional racing or street racing doesn't bring the best out of any parallel regular commuter it only improvises your maneuvering, handling and counter tackling ability during some close contact with some wannabe, if you had asked it to me in a sarcastic way i am happy to take it as a nice joke from my friend [lol]

Coming to your experience, though i have gone through your ownership thread and your DIY painting stuff and some real good snaps behind greenery i don't recollect regarding your unfortunate accident,

Just have 2 questions to clarify :

Did you pump your brakes or use it in one short/one push
Did you tyres skid, or did you feel the brakes lock

One more vague question what profile tyres do you use ?

Last edited:
May not be out of context here, I recall such an incident, very long ago, the traffic on Mumbai (Bombay then) was not much, particularly on Andheri-Santacruz Highway. I am new to My Bike, (a second hand one, that too). I was on the right lane and suddenly engine stopped (rather jammed) and in good speed. Other vehicles are also were at good speed. By Intuition, I Just kept the left blinkers on and pressed the clutch and gradually moved on to the shoulder. Escaped I can say.

abhiwar- This is a scary situation. I recollect the same incident when i owned Contesa classic. I was at a 80-90 speed in Hyd, Tarnaka rd and over a flyover going down and brakes failed. There was a slow moving car Maruti in from of me and was right in my path. I was sure I will hit him and were no other options.
I was able to use the hand brake on and off to control the speed and lower the gear. This saved me Infact saved the car in front of me. Poor Maruti 800 guy would have seen garage for months if there was an impact.
Bottom line, before engaging lower gear, you need to slow down and the only other way is use hand brake on and off holding the steering straight as many time as possible until it slows down.

I told you to use hand brakes to come to a halt at lower speeds and not to use it as a secondary brake and though it wouldn't work either, try it at speeds of 40kmh or lesser to know how it works, just try it once

Your reflex and your experience is more to do with handling panic situations, i have been driving from a long time till now, 12 years to be precise and i am sure unless you see more or experience more nothing can be gained, i still remember my first panic situation and how i got out of it, but experience doesn't make me or anyone immune, but some what better in reacting to the situation and i believe you accept me on this, though i have seen the experience guy taking a beating, it also falls with whom you are to be involved during a panic situation, personally i hate tractors on my side of our roads and they are the most reckless and insane drivers to give you a real shocker on highways

Professional racing or street racing doesn't bring the best out of any parallel regular commuter it only improvises your maneuvering, handling and counter tackling ability during some close contact with some wannabe, if you had asked it to me in a sarcastic way i am happy to take it as a nice joke from my friend
I do realize almost all of the above mentioned.

Coming to your experience, though i have gone through your ownership thread and your DIY painting stuff and some real good snaps behind greenery i don't recollect regarding your unfortunate accident,
Yes it was mix of sweet and sour experience with Punto .Ofcourse I would not agree those sour being Punto's fault.There could be other mystery which I am yet to confront with .

Just have 2 questions to clarify :

Did you pump your brakes or use it in one short/one push
One push bang. honestly I dint knew about pumping brakes that time. and I have tried pumping brakes on ABS car at later course of time-does it help ? if yes how ?
Did you tyres skid, or did you feel the brakes lock
Notires dint lock,braking distance was unexpectedly long which was the main cause of incident.Normally My car could stop making you feel your stomach in mouth but on that unfortunate day it rolled on slowing and BANG.

One more vague question what profile tyres do you use ?
Stock one goodyear -195/60/R15

Last edited:
One push bang. honestly I dint knew about pumping brakes that time. and I have tried pumping brakes on ABS car at later course of time-does it help ? if yes how ?
I have to say this because, frankly i didn't have this habit of pumping brakes and no one would do it or recollect to do it during a panic situation, but got slowly used to it during long drives, so that the leg is used to that motion for braking

But i beg to differ that pumping has to be done for NON - ABS versions, You should not pump your brakes if you have ABS as far as i know and i was under the assumption that you were using NON-ABS version my Bad and hence i asked if you had pumped the brakes

For ABS versions : Just hold your foot firmly on the brakes pedal and remember that you can still steer, as that is one advantage of ABS

ABS was designed with the purpose to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not make the car stop more quickly. ABS may shorten stopping distances on wet or slippery roads and will shorten stopping distances on dry roads. On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel and sand an ABS system may actually lengthen your stopping distance

Stock one goodyear -195/60/R15
You must have already thought of an upgrade and you would know more better on this, My say if its crossed 40K i would have upgraded it as it really matters and matters a lot during 3 digit speed even if 101Kmh as i have a personal experience on this

Last edited:
I have to say this because, frankly i didn't have this habit of pumping brakes and no one would do it or recollect to do it during a panic situation, but got slowly used to it during long drives, so that the leg is used to that motion for braking

But i beg to differ that pumping has to be done for NON - ABS versions, You should not pump your brakes if you have ABS as far as i know and i was under the assumption that you were using NON-ABS version my Bad and hence i asked if you had pumped the brakes
How could you err [frustration], didnt you read Punto 90hp!!!

You must have already thought of an upgrade and you would know more better on this, My say if its crossed 40K i would have upgraded it as it really matters and matters a lot during 3 digit speed even if 101Kmh as i have a personal experience on this
Tire was just 12000km run
How would we know a better tire to suit our requirements? let us assume that tirewalla dookandaar doesnt understand rubber composition and compound rating he just parrot "this is the best, everybody buys it"
of course I dont do 3 digit speeds (nowadays).

For ABS versions : Just hold your foot firmly on the brakes pedal and remember that you can still steer, as that is one advantage of ABS
This is an important input. What I have gathered is: DO NOT pump the brakes, rather put the foot firmly when your car has ABS. Also, ABS may increase the braking distance in some cases, be aware of this - one such case could be if the pressure on brake pedal is not kept constant and firm during the braking.

Last edited:
This happened with me 4years back. Feels like yesterday. I used to drive from Madurai to Bangalore regularly then. I always used to leave Madurai by 7 am and reach Bangalore symphony theater by 12.30pm for a movie. Its roughly 460 km for those of you who do not know.

I used to regularly touch speeds of 150kms on that road. On one such drive suddenly a slow moving truck decided to overtake a bullock cart near karur. I use a non-ABS car ldi version swift dzire. I just stepped on the brakes. The car did not lose power and it barely stopped. I pressed again and again. Luckily the car stopped just under the truck just in the nick of time. I made the truck stop and blasted the driver in A mixture of choicest words.
Fortunately for me on that day I was shifting my medical books. As a result the car didn't skid and I was able to control the steering.
This incident changed my driving style. Maximum speed I touch, no matter even if the highways are empty is 120.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
ABS was designed with the purpose to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not make the car stop more quickly. ABS may shorten stopping distances on wet or slippery roads and will shorten stopping distances on dry roads. On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel and sand an ABS system may actually lengthen your stopping distance
Sir, if you can please elaborate the Bold part of above quote . As far as i know ABS will reduce braking distance in any road conditions other than DRY/Perfect road where you can brake as hard as you can and might be able to stop 2-3mtrs before ABS vehicle.

In two wheelers you have a complete 2 individual units for each brake and In such situations you always have an option to use another brake and can safely maneuver or come to an halt . What haunts me about cars is that there is no secondary option available to you in case of any mechanical failure . Only god know what would have happened if i'd ended up in same situations with my Ertiga .

Sir, if you can please elaborate the Bold part of above quote . As far as i know ABS will reduce braking distance in any road conditions other than DRY/Perfect road where you can brake as hard as you can and might be able to stop 2-3mtrs before ABS vehicle. .
Not so on a dirt road!

I have also added the link above where you get much more information, the source of my notes are from the above link, which gives it to you with more clear words put on for the subject, hope it clears your confusion [;)]

*************************************************************************************************

Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny ball bearings when you step on the brakes. As a result there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground.

Therefore all four wheels want to lock up immediately.

ABS would keep them from doing so.

So you keep rolling and rolling, and rolling, and rolling. You might be rolling for too long and your stopping distance is going to be that of a container ship. Too long to be safe. You might even drive off a cliff.

Last edited:
ABS is a fantastic safety system available to us. The basic principle behind its working is that it doesn't let the wheels lock, and at the same time, fast and intermittent braking action is taking place. This works in most of the driving conditions. Dry and/or wet surface is itself dangerous; with or without ABS. Driving fast on such surface is open invitation to accident.
In case of panic, you tend to press your brake pedal hard. In non ABS cars you press hard and while the car skids, you just let your luck play. While in an ABS fitted car, you press hard the brake as well. But this time, you have fair chance to steer yourself away from danger.

Top Bottom