Why Do Some Drive Without Seat Headrests?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
This is something I observe quite often and it amuses me. I don’t understand the logic behind removing the front seat head restraints. I checked a few used cars lately and some of the owners had removed the headrests. I feel uncomfortable sitting in a car with no headrest, forget driving without one. Just to let those people know, head restraint is a small but significant safety feature a car can have. They are mandatory across all cars since 1960 and have “prevented or mitigated thousands of devastating injuries” according to Wikipedia (Head Restraints - Wikipedia). It’s no show off, better be safe than sorry. Put it back right now.

Drive Safe,
350Z

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
like you said people do this just for show. like my friend who says " creates problem while talking to the rear passengers [lol]

and idk , in my i10 and verna my head is nowhere near the headrests [confused] even if i want to i can't because of the sitting position.

in santro i don't have any problem.

I feel in order to use them, the head rest should tilt forward to rest our head and provide comfort. But this is not possible incase of integrated head rests which are useless for a driver IMO(but useful for co-passenger).

With the seating posture while driving I never felt they are too useful !! some how as I am not in a relaxed mood while driving and lean towards front a bit to be alert whats happening in front of us. yes for other passengers they are useful

In i20 & Jetta the headrest are always in contact with the back of your head,i dont see this in there company siblings. Was tempted to remove headrest for first few days but then it was even more odd & irritating with out it.

In movies or any tv ad its natural for the head rests to be missing so the camera can focus on the occupants easily,Just observe this next time,including popular English TV shows!

And a friends car in college always had front passenger headrest missing cos his dad who would sit at the back & wanted to get a good look at the road while the driver was at the wheel.

Frankly saying, few years back in 2004-05 when i was having m800 i also used to drive without head rest. Reason is same like said by allhyundaicars "creates problem while talking to the rear passengers" and "to look car more spacious" :stupid: but now i drive with the head rest on.

Guys, you have not read what 350z posted.

It is a safety feature and not a comfort feature and termed as head restraints rather than head rests.

From the link:
In an automobile, head restraints are attached or integrated into the top of each car seat to limit the rearward movement of the adult occupant's head relative to his torso in a crash, so as to reduce the danger of whiplash or other injury to the cervical verterbrae. Since their mandatory introduction in the late 1960s, head restraints have prevented or mitigated thousands of devastating injuries.

Guys, you have not read what 350z posted.

It is a safety feature and not a comfort feature and termed as head restraints rather than head rests.
The title still says Headrests right ? ,i dont think its a big issue [:)]just think head restraints
& i consider the headrest as a safty & comfort feature.

Some basic models do no have them in the back seat even though its madatory,swift lxi,ldi does not have it on the back seat but vxi,vdi above has it.

Last edited:
I can't drive without head-rests, i have seen many people who drive their modified jelly bean shaped zen takes the head-rests off, we did this once in my cousin's car and found the drive to be very uncomfortable because at some point of time we tend to rest our head to a supportive thing.

BTW i recently added a neck-rest too [;)]

like you said people do this just for show. like my friend who says " creates problem while talking to the rear passengers [lol]
Frankly saying, few years back in 2004-05 when i was having m800 i also used to drive without head rest. Reason is same like said by allhyundaicars "creates problem while talking to the rear passengers" and "to look car more spacious" :stupid: but now i drive with the head rest on.
This diverts your attention towards speaking which causes risks while driving, please do not try this in the near future. Drive safe.

Ya its rather disturbing that many cars in India dont have rear Head rests at least not at a sufficient height,i remember the Getz having small integrated headrest(rear) which are more like neck rests for the avg person.

I cannot drive without headrests. i just need them. even if i am sitting in rear. thankfully my civic has in all 4 seats.

I have seen people driving without head rests in movies/tv serials, guess they do so to have a better view via lens.
However in real world, i havent noticed anyone except the cabbies driving without the head rests. The only car we owned, which had no headrests was the good old Premier Padmini (popularly called Fiat). As far as i remember my car had no head rest at all[shock].

Top Bottom