Driving with Learners Driving License

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I am from Bangalore.
I have a Learner's driving license. I also have appeared for Permanent Driveling License and I cleared/passed the test. As per the RTO office, I will get the license in 20 to 30 days. But I am planning to drive to Chennai on car this weekend.

I believe I am like a valid license holder as I cleared the test. But I dont have a proof for that. Is it safe to drive for me alone in highways?

Experts, Thanks in advance for your suggestion and advise.

Thanks,
Kiruba

Kirubasuthan, congratulations on clearing on your PDL test.Proof would be your driving license that you would receive from RTO.Till then you have your learning license with you.Safe depends on your driving skills and your own confidence you have on your driving.If there is a bit of hesitence for yourself to drive all the way to chennai alone, take someone along,friend,family member,office, anyone who can company you which would boost in some confidence in you.

Thread Starter #3
Hi Vijay,
Thanks for your reply.
I am confident to drive. I will be accompanied by my brother and parents in the trip. My brother too has only Learners Driving License.
My concern is both of us doesnt have a Permanent License on hand (Though I have cleared it). If we were stopped by traffic police, what will be the penalty? Will they impound the car at worst case?

Thanks !

Hi Vijay,
Thanks for your reply.
I am confident to drive. I will be accompanied by my brother and parents in the trip. My brother too has only Learners Driving License.
My concern is both of us doesnt have a Permanent License on hand (Though I have cleared it). If we were stopped by traffic police, what will be the penalty? Will they impound the car at worst case?

Thanks !
I think there is a Receipt you get after passing Driving test (Rs.300), and you must submit your Learner Driving license in RTO. For the next 20-30days that receipt is a proof of your full DL . There is a penalty if you get caught w/o License .

Hello,

I am from Bangalore.
I have a Learner's driving license. I also have appeared for Permanent Driveling License and I cleared/passed the test. As per the RTO office, I will get the license in 20 to 30 days. But I am planning to drive to Chennai on car this weekend.

I believe I am like a valid license holder as I cleared the test. But I dont have a proof for that. Is it safe to drive for me alone in highways?

Thanks,
Kiruba
Drive confidently in front of cops.
Then no one will stop you.
But be careful while you drive.

Hello,

I am from Bangalore.

Thanks,
Kiruba
See buddy,there is nothing to worry at all.
Until you cause an accident, no one bothers to ask you if you have that piece of paper or not.
Just keep your car fit(registration plates etc) and drive in well mannered way. In fact driving without license is fun, there are a lot of thrilling moments especially when you see checking ahead and you simply try to ignore it and drive straight in the right most lane so that cops won't stop you..[:)]

Rest assured, there won't be anythign like impounding and if they impose a penalty then also fine, the challan will be your DL for coming days(I used to do the same..keep everything at home and show challan to cops if caught). If the penalty is high then let the papers go to court, till then you will receive your DL too and your papers will be freed at very low penalty. Really..

Last edited:
Until you cause an accident, no one bothers to ask you if you have that piece of paper or not.
Rightly said, drive safe !

In fact driving without license is fun, there are a lot of thrilling moments especially when you see checking ahead and you simply try to ignore it and drive straight in the right most lane so that cops won't stop you
LOL ! Yes

Your Concern is justified, i had the same feeling (except that ive not applied for one [lol]) mainly because of the fact that in Bangalore you have so much checking in every nook and corner [frustration]!!!!!!!!!

I recently drove to Chennai and Pondicherry last month , I don't have a driving license till now.

This is what i observed -

1. I was not stopped anywhere at least in a situation to produce my license
2. Chennai doesn't have seat belt rule ! [surprise]
3. I hardly saw any cops in Chennai, You don't have cops in every nook and corner to stop for checking excluding the ones managing traffic

In Short -

Bangalore -
Has seat belt rule
Has Helmet rule
Petrol costliest in all India
has so much checking !!!!
No Night life

Automotive Hell Ey ?

Last edited:
Hi Vijay,
Thanks for your reply.

Thanks !
As per rule your car must have a L board at front and rear,A person having a valid driving license must be on the left seat and the car must be driven in a decent speed. There is a chance of a small penality if they stop you. But main thing is your confidence and how safe you drive.All the best for your trip.These are experiences that help you in your future driving, this is your real test Good luck.

I hope you had no problems and your license would also have been received.
Mine came within a week after passing the test.

Reviving an old thread. Has anyone really got a driving license(LLR) in Chennai without the help of agents/driving schools or without bribing. There is an online application facility but am sceptical about its transparency.

I think there is a Receipt you get after passing Driving test (Rs.300), and you must submit your Learner Driving license in RTO. For the next 20-30days that receipt is a proof of your full DL . There is a penalty if you get caught w/o License .
Exactly. The LL will not be available after passing the driving test.The receipt may be used to drive.But now a days permanent license are issued quickly.

Another doubt, Is it necessary to carry the original driving lisence all the time or is it enough to have a xerox copy ?

Top Bottom