Theft of Mahindra Scorpio

Thread Starter #1
Lost my Scorpio 2 weeks ago (7th Jan), due to a theft.

Parked right in front of my house, in a good residential layout (BDA/BBMP, Bangalore). 2005 model SLX, came with whatever built in autocop security feature. I had invested on stanley leather seats; a year ago changed MRF Wanderer tyres (including spare wheel); changed battery 3 months ago. And topped up the tank on the same day! [cry]

I live in an independent house, with basement car parking. I dont park the car in the basement every night, but only on days when I am away for few days. Almost everyone in the locality park their cars outside (its a good broad road, and generally safe). My dad claims he noticed the car around 1:30AM in the morning; when he woke up at 5.30 to water the plants and car (his early morning routine), he could not find the car.

I wasn't too surprised, though I took a whilst to come to terms, 'coz couple of my friends too had lost their Scorpio. I had heard stories about how / why they steal (to power the boat with scorpio engines?). I lost any hopes of finding the car instantly. On a lighter note, my family wanted me to go around the neighborhood looking for the car, just in case the thieves had abandoned the car after removing valuables [roll]

One of my friend (who lost his car to a theft in a similar scenario, in Bangalore, 2 years ago) found the car 7 months later. I believe the engine was at the back seat! Almost everything was gone, and he had to spend nearly 3 lakhs to make it run again. Of course, the insurance company did not pay much due to their own assessment method.

Anyway, I lodged police complaint and promptly received FIR by end of the day (Banaswadi police station). The police were generally concerned and very helpful. Thankfully, I have too many contacts with police department, but in my honest assessment, the police never showed 'I dont care' attitude. Probably they would have lodged FIR and would have done the needful even without the contacts. In fact, the police inspector (the guy won a president's medal last year) came home to assess the theft and accepted the complaint at home! Kudos Bangalore Police!

BTW, on the same night, one of the retired Major lost his Scorpio too, few hundred meters away! Within the same police station limit. So the thieves had a field day.

Visited Bajaj Allianz insurance company the following day. I had registered the complaint and claim the day I lost the car. Took both the original keys with remote, RC card, policy original copy, police FIR and complaint, etc. It was a breeze.

Visited Indiranagar RTO on the same day with a letter of 'NOT IN USE' and 'DO NOT TRANSFER' request (a copy of FIR needed). After 15 mins, I had an acknowledgement and stamp on my letter from RTO! There was no demand for 'something', whatsoever.

The RTO acknowledgement, and a cancelled cheque (for bank NEFT form) is needed by insurnace company.

Now comes the wait.... I believe it takes few months for the police to issue Report C, which would state that they have done their best and the car could not be located. Post which, the insurnace company will carry out their process before obliging my claim.

In a nutshell, though I am upset (so many memories!) and feel the loss, I am pragmatic about the loss. Its only a material, and material can be bought. I shall buy a new car (which is a need!) based on my affordability.

Thats really bad news of wat happened to your car !

Scorpio is one of the top list on thieves, but i suggest you go ahead and park your next car in the basement you have moving forward

Hope you get your insurance formalities done quickly

It should have not happened and going through all this is a really unimaginable feeling for people like us who does take care of their car as equally as them, but you should have been more careful mate, i am sure your mind would have asked you a thousand times on why you didn't park it inside your basement [sad]

Please share your experience to all and let them know the importance of car parking

It is really sad to note this information of theft and I am sorry to say this but getting it back may be a nightmare in today's context as thieves are very clever !! I wish you get your claim from the insurance company quickly and to the maximum and proceed for new car. we have another member in TAI who has lost his Scorpio few months back and bought a new Quanto now !!

Of-course we can buy a new car and world will not stop with the theft, but the memories of our old car will hunt us for long time as in our country we develop lot of love towards our rides.

One question here is that what about the security systems in the cars in this era ?? is it not possible to have a good security system to prevent such thefts ?? I can't think that this Scorpio doesn't have one, but what it was doing during the theft and what is the use of it ??

It is really sad to note this information of theft and I am sorry to say this but getting it back may be a nightmare in today's context as thieves are very clever !! I wish you get your claim from the insurance company quickly and to the maximum and proceed for new car. we have another member in TAI who has lost his Scorpio few months back and bought a new Quanto now !!

Of-course we can buy a new car and world will not stop with the theft, but the memories of our old car will hunt us for long time as in our country we develop lot of love towards our rides.

One question here is that what about the security systems in the cars in this era ?? is it not possible to have a good security system to prevent such thefts ?? I can't think that this Scorpio doesn't have one, but what it was doing during the theft and what is the use of it ??
The built-in security systems and the one which is common in market are nothing more than key-less entry that just gives us the facility to open and close all doors on remote with a hooter. There are real security systems in the market which will cost you more and they are effective on ordinary thieves.

Thread Starter #7
Thank you all, for your comforting words and support.

Mukeshus, I checked the TV9 news and contacted the police too. I believe this case is at least 3 months old and the last car this gang stole was on 3rd Jan. Mine was stolen on 7th Jan. But am sure these professional thieves have network and interrogation could bring out other theft cases too. Keeping fingers crossed.

Well, my dad created a minor inconvenience to in the basement due to which I wouldn’t park the car in the basement every day; but that’s not an excuse. I don’t want my dad to feel guilty.

The 2005 model Scorpio did not even come with engine immobilizer. The search on auto forums shows that even that’s fool proof! Will have to go for handle lock or something. On a lighter note, I like Mr. Bean’s idea – remove the steering wheel wherever you park the car [;)]

Couple of years ago, one of my friend lost all the 4 wheels of his TATA Sumo, whilst parked in front of his house, over night! The car was stationed on some stones, san 4 wheels! Now, how do you secure your wheels? Or wheel caps for that matter? Simply, the thieves learn to crack every new security system. As rightful owners, we need to keep up the pace and not lag behind.

Not only my next car will be parked in the basement, I will invest on additional security system apart from factory built units.

that is really sad to hear, I hope police finds your car without which you would have to go through the insurance hassle, reading all these reports scares me , I have booked a swift and should be deilvered in 30days, I dont have a parking and everyone in our colony park the car on the streets, please let me know what kind of robust security you are planning for your car ? also please update the thread as and when you have any news about the car.
Hope for the best

350Z

Core Team
Now comes the wait.... I believe it takes few months for the police to issue Report C, which would state that they have done their best and the car could not be located. Post which, the insurnace company will carry out their process before obliging my claim.
Sad to read about another theft incident. I do realize the pain since I went through the same trauma last November (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...my-maruti-800-stolen-new-delhi-need-help.html). The memories are still afresh because it was my first ever car but the biggest shock is that it was stolen in midst of enough official security. There were no hassles involved from the end of police department whatsoever and I was handed over the not-traceable certificate after a month of investigation. At the end, a loss is a loss. It taught me a good lesson that ultimately it’s the owner who’s responsible for his car regardless of wherever it is parked. Many of us spend thousands of bucks for looks and comfort features but always miss the most essential thing – security and safety features. While no feature could make the car theft proof, we can definitely work to make it relatively safer. Please perform a forum search. You will find some useful topics dedicated to same. Good luck for new car search.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I'm really surprised to see car theft news day by day. its very hard to take it. But we have to.

Hatch back stolen couple of possible reasons. But a SUV ? comeon What kind of technology do we have still ? bull crap.

Sorry bro, for your situation.

Here is my best advice.

Try installing a realtime GPS transmitter somewhere hidden under the steering wheel/dash or seat. So you can track it down.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Time-Car-GPS...5?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item4ac0847037

You can find cheaper ones on ebay. try searching there

I had a similar device before it was much cheaper like 3-5k. Chinese version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really surprised to see car theft news day by day. its very hard to take it. But we have to.

Hatch back stolen couple of possible reasons. But a SUV ? comeon What kind of technology do we have still ? bull crap.

Here is my best advice.

Try installing a realtime GPS transmitter somewhere hidden under the steering wheel/dash or seat. So you can track it down.

Time Car GPS Tracker and Car Alarm System(Remote Control,Microphone,Shock Sensor | eBay

Kudos mate [clap], and thank you for the link would definitely get this installed on our new vehicle instead of going for some autocop with just alarm facility [:)]

It is really sad to know about you car friend. Hope you get your car back or get the insured amount at the earliest.

Just for clarification am asking this, assume the thieves managed to get into your car without keys, how they could drive it without keys.

1. how to they stared? [I know some connecting wires here and there]
  2. How can they drive. Why am asking this is, if you try to use steering wheel without keys it would get locked automatically na?

Sorry if the questions are basic, I would like to know.

Here is my best advice.

Time Car GPS Tracker and Car Alarm System(Remote Control,Microphone,Shock Sensor | eBay

Tons of Features, you have got this device installed ? If i buy it from here who will help me to install ? I was not able to find any reviews on this

These thieves love the scorpio. Sorry to hear about this theft. Any pics so that we can let you know if we spot one by chance.

Top Bottom