What Do You Think of My Honking?

Thread Starter #1
In Mumbai, on the Eastern Express Highway heading South, there's the Sion flyover. The entry into the flyover is a single right lane. The 2 left lanes go straight below the flyover and there's a signal ahead.

Now, since there's a single lane that goes into the flyover, people wanting to use the flyover will keep to the right a fair distance before entering the flyover. Therefore, there's a long SINGLE queue of vehicles on the right. But there's always a few people who will jump the queue, drive ahead and then cut to the right to enter the flyover. Thus, the queue moves at a much slower pace than it is meant to. It happens all the time.

I will let someone cut me, if he's a car's length ahead of me on my left and signalling (hand or blinkers) to enter the right lane. There's no problem here.

But if someone cuts to the right aggressively without signalling, I will let up momentarily to let him pass. But then I will switch on to high beam and honk incessantly. The driver in front has no where to go since it's a single lane right through to the other side of the flyover. A good 2 minutes. The traffic is never faster than 40km/h. It's impossible to overtake. The driver in front cannot go faster or move to a different lane. He will be right there in front of me for 2 minutes forced to endure the high beam and my incessant honking.

What do you think of the situation? I can my mind my own business but seriously man!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
these days no one has any patience. i know you'd have thought going ahead without braking , i think the same but still everyone including me will obviously brake to avoid any accident.

everyone gets frustrated with others driving like maniacs. but still many people will say curse words to you even if you think you were right.

whatever's the situation is always keep your calm , in the end it's you who's BP's getting increased. even if you say curse words to anyone else you don't get a +1

@allhyundaicars
agree with you 100 % it is always good to keep calm but , some times we cant just keep calm and want yell at that guy when he suddenly cuts into the lane.
@Starlight
He will be right there in front of me for 2 minutes forced to endure the high beam and my incessant honking.
Well , he deserves that [clap],but highbeam will reduce visibility and the maniac might hit brakes or get confused and might hit accelerator and damage the vehicle in the front[;)].

Thread Starter #4
To clarify, I usually don't honk. So much so, that even if a car in front of me stalls when the light turns green at the signal and won't move until the lights turn red again, I will not honk but for a short beep so that the driver ahead knows there's a car behind. That is it. I will try to find a way past him and if I cannot, I will wait.

But the situation as described in my first post is almost the same as waiting at a toll booth. Then, as soon as there's a slight gap between you and the car in front, someone will cut in from the left and stick his front bumper right in front of your car and then slam on the brakes. And then, slowly cuts across ahead of you into the queue.

Last edited:
Hi Starlight, I know that flyover bridge of SION, and what you have described is common thing there. But what I have noticed is that, not always people jump the line and try to sneak in. Actually many does not knows that there is bridge, that too single lane. So when they carry on on second lane, and then they realize that I need to go over bridge and situation raises.

But best is to keep the calm, Yes 2-3 honk is required to atleast make the person realize that he is wrong in whatever he is doing and then carry on with the journey.

I know it is very irritating someone cutting you across in that way, but you should understand moron will remain moron forever. Do you think that your honking will change them ? only you are hurting yourself .

But believe me, these dose not change anything. Even if somebody cut across you, your reaching time to the destination will not be changed.

So keep the calm and forget about those idiot. you will find them each all over.

Honking is meant to alert the person that he is too close to your car and not to show that you are angry over him for his maniac skills, its takes a lot of time to get over it for him as well as for you

My friend after some years you would get over it too, what's wrong if you give them a way and move slowly ahead provided you are not in a very urgent situation

A 10 seconds of patience would avoid many accidents on the road and everyone can reach home safe [;)]

Some people use their horn as if its their birth right !

Ive seen some individuals honking even on an empty roads ! [anger]

Dose honking help people in Bangalore, It may shoo away only the pedestrian not who are on the vehicle may it be bike,car, cab,bus, tempo etc. These guys will never buzz to your honking. They will move if they wish to. But some good people are there, they will respond to your horn but not many.
I never honk to the vehicle in front of me. I only honk at intersection or blind turn. why I do not honk more due to reason, if I would have honked to 20 people at my journey, then only 1 person might have responded . So it became meaning less to me.

Honking can be for our personal safety while moving ahead in a car and making the other car/bike in front of you to give a way if he choose to go slow, but at times, people behind you honk continuous even though they know that there is no movement ahead possible either with a red signal or a traffic jam, which really irritates[:)]

Except for members from Kolkata , if anyone has driven in the streets of Kolkata, honking is must there. There is no "No Horn zone" in Kolkata[roll].

In fact when you learn to drive, the driving instructor will say you that horn in your only weapon on road.

Except for members from Kolkata , if anyone has driven in the streets of Kolkata, honking is must there. There is no "No Horn zone" in Kolkata[roll].

In fact when you learn to drive, the driving instructor will say you that horn in your only weapon on road.
Haahahahaha, I have not driven there but had traveled in those streets of Kolkata, Howrah(dasnagar,mangalhat) were most congested areas, yes Horn is the only weapon there, other wise you will be stranded for hours together[lol]

There are morons like this everywhere. And then there are people who are not familiar with the roads (like the ones dharmesh mentioned). I usually let 2-3 guys jump ahead of me in such cases. If there are more guys, I also get aggressive, but no horn. I will move as close as possible and reduce the gap. I know it is dangerous and can scratch or hit nearby cars.

I honk only if someone cuts in without seeing me. Again, there may be genuine people for whom I might have been in blind spot or simply didn't see me and then there are the 'don't care' morons. To avoid any mishap and to let them know that I'm there, I do use the horn. May be 2-3 times a week.

Top Bottom