Had an Accident - Help Required

Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

I had gone out with my car for a drive and got stuck in a dead end. The lane was very narrow and while reversing I hit a newly constructed wall and broke it. Two persons came out and I asked whose property it was. They said they will inform the owner and asked me to wait. While waiting I thought I will park the car properly. It was a slope area so when I turned the car and tried to park it was sliding down. Instead of applying the hand break I thought I will park it in a plane area so it will be easier to start later. But while I was searching a plane area I took a turn and fell in a ditch. Finally some people rescued the car and a gentleman drove me back home. I was too jittery after falling in the ditch to drive it back again to the place where I broke the wall. I had to depend on this gentleman to drop me and I was feeling awkward to tell him that I already had an accident. Now the question is what is my liability in this case - I don't know the exact location where I broke the wall. Will it be a hit and run? My number plate also broke. The piece may still be lying there.

Please help.

Last edited:
Re: Had an accident ... help required

Sad to hear about your accident. I have a few questions in mind.

1. Is your car still on the accident spot?

2. I dont think this would be a Hit and Run case.

Thread Starter #3
No, the gentleman drove the car back to my place after removing it from the ditch with the help of a few other pedestrians.

Its not for no reason I am against female drivers most of the time..:stupid:

@Brutus:
Actually you need not to be worried, you are on the safer side now and no one is gonna take any action against you.

Everything happened in a panic-stroke I guess and instead of thinking this and that, you need to work on your driving skill now. So pick up the keys and drive the car again, drive same way and try to park in similar locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the advice but I guess I do have the right to defend other female drivers :). It is not that men never commit accidents. But anyway, I will reserve my comments until I learn to drive better.

Last edited:
No, the gentleman drove the car back to my place after removing it from the ditch with the help of a few other pedestrians.
Brutus, i guess its time to move on[:)]. I dont think anybody is going to file an FIR for that small damage.

If you wish to follow the legal route you can report the accident to the local cops, and tell them to alert you, incase the other guy reports the incident.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks a lot ... I too thought it would be a good idea to inform the authorities. In any case, I will be driving tomorrow again :)

@ Brutus, panic leads to mishappenings on 99% of cases. Be it parking, starting the car from a slope, starting when the signal turns green etc! As others have pointed out, its time to fine tune your driving skills and make the roads much safer place to be for you and your fellow citizens as well [lol]

If you are really guilty about the damage to the wall; better way to resolve is to contact the 'correct owner' of the property and settle a compensation amicably!

Safe driving!

Please answer following questions about 'Newly construed wall '
1}is it a compound wall around the underconstructiom building? Or was it just a wall .

2} is it a newly constructed wall around old building ?

3) How did you came to know that it is newly constructed?

I don't think there will be a complaint against you as cops harras victim and culprit equally.
Because , if someone wants do a construction , needs to take permission s NOCs from civic authorities, NOC from housing society, neighbors.Also, owner needs to construct a temporary compound (tin) around it, appoint a watchman, display a board stating name of the work, contractor, architect etc. The owner can not remove these things without completion certificate from civic authorities.
If the property owner wants to lodge a comlaint against you , he needs to be perfect about above mentioned things, otherwise he/she can land up in trouble. In this case the newly constructed wall appears to be uncovered by temporary compound watchman etc.

If at all the owner lodges a complaint against you and police lodges a comlaint against you, tell them that you were going to report the incidence to them so as to abide by law but you have not fully recovered from the mental trauma due to accident, hence the delay .
Do not worry, onus lies on police then to give you a request letter addressed to govt. doctor for appropriate medical assistence.

Emotional disturbance is also a type of mental trauma.
IMHO, youwere emotionally disturbed on that day after the wall incidence.

Otherwise, I agree with car freak on guilt and compensation part.

Last edited:
Hmmm would have been a hit youtube video [:)]

Anyways since you mention it was a newly constructed wall i am guessing you hit the supporting sticks that were holding it? If thats the case they can reuse majority of the blocks only cost will be of some cement & labor,but in any case i dont think with your numb plate they will bother with an fir,but if your guilt is getting the better of you then go back to that place with a friend (by auto maybe) & pay them,assuming todays mentality dont expect to hear any small numbers.

Eh, et tu brute!!

Brutus, its not important to learn driving, instead you need to learn handling situations.
This incident is gone now, because if they needed compensation then nobody would have let you leave the spot.
Now my recommendation is simple, forget it all and drive the way you like. Simple, and yes..try to learn one more technique. "Not let the car bog down in panic situations", because bogged down vehicles can't flee!![;)]

Hi
I hope you are okay. when the car fell into the ditch, did you hurt yourself?
as everyone said do not worry about the incident. Tornado has explained everything beautifully.
my first accident left me panic-stricken too.
but it taught me a lesson, whatever happens never take your eyes off the road, i did that in a curve and my car hit the rear side of a parked jeep. fortunately i was driving ~20km/h as it was a steep climb.

Top Bottom