Life. As a Gift 'from' God.

Thread Starter #1
A night journey from Solapur to Jalgaon in a Indigo certainly does not qualify for a travelogue. But then, some [surprise][shock] incidents has made it an unforgettable one. The early, cool hours of 14th November threw 2 incidents before me, which could have not left me to write it down here, I consider this life as a gift from the almighty.

4 people on board and a boot full of luggage on the good old Lac+ Tata. It was 1.20 in the night, I was behind the wheel and cruising at a quiet 90 kmph on the Solapur - Ahmednagar old school highway. It was some 5 kilometers before a place 'Mirajgaon' (52 kms before Ahmednagar), that I heard a loud burst and a sudden push down in the rear-right. I sensed that the right-rear tyre has busted. I did not brake then and there, but took off my foot from accelerator and steered the car to the left, as it was a 2 way traffic on one lane type highway. There was no one behind me or ahead of me on neither directions, and that was the blessed part I would say. Anyways, I quickly down shifted and then pressed the brakes, and somehow came to a halt on the rough road or the 'side patti'.
After 5-10 minutes after everybody's heart beats also settled, I got down and saw :

4 days before, while wheel balancing and alignment, the service guy had informed me that the tyre (which burst) was faulty. I did not listen then. Well, I was cursing myself.

I had a spare Apollo, but there was no chance that I could find a road side tyrewalla for the job. So me and dad, both deployed ourselves for that celestial assignment. It took us around 40 minutes in that dark, cool night. I was not sure about my tyre-work skills, so decided to play safe till Ahmednagar came. Dad was of the view to stop for the night at 'Nagar and get the job done by experts in the morning. I reached 'Nagar by 3.30am and found no assistance, so decided to move ahead.

Ahmednagar - Aurangabad is a 125 kms 2 lane proper road, so again I picked up speed, a 100+ this time. All was good until 'Waluj' an MIDC area, where on the road, some idiots ( [frustration]) had dropped-left-spilled 3 jute bags of wheat (50 or 60 kilo bag that we get). I overlooked and went over them and felt a sharp loud thud below. Again I stopped for some time, checked the under body and after confirming of no leakage, started again.

And then .. felt a noticeably bouncy front, I suspect a damage to the front struts. Somehow reached at Jalgaon at 8 in the morning, thanked god straight away before doing anything else. Have not cranked her in 3 days.

Attachments

Ad!tya

Suspended
OMG!!
You should have paid heed to the guy (who did alignment) when he said something was fishy.
Anyways, you reached home safe, enough.

Thread Starter #4
By the looks of the Tyre it seems to be very old enough. Better to check the tyre before any journey.
Yep. Got a new Bridgestone. Need to get alignment and suspension check up, as I have to do a Mumbai trip this weekend.

OMG!!
You should have paid heed to the guy (who did alignment) when he said something was fishy.
Anyways, you reached home safe, enough.
Yes. I am visiting the garage again tomorrow to get the alignment-balancing done again, and a thorough suspension checkup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad!tya

Suspended
Nice to hear that you are getting the parts checked up.
Don't compromise on these things, they can make difference between life and death.
Have a safe trip (for mumbai). Drive safe.

Do update this thread on what happens tommorow at the garage. (problems, etc)

Thread Starter #6
Nice to hear that you are getting the parts checked up.
Don't compromise on these things, they can make difference between life and death.
Have a safe trip (for mumbai). Drive safe.

Do update this thread on what happens tommorow at the garage. (problems, etc)
Gave the car for balancing, alignment and suspension check up. According to the service guy, the front left wheel had an excessive negative Camber and the suspension arm has more play. Yet to collect the car and see the alignment report. Total cost Rs 488/-

Ad!tya

Suspended
To be true, I don't have any knowledge on this thingy.
The gurus might know well.
Anyways, the cost is not high. Also do ask how this happened (negative camber, etc)

Top Bottom