Understand the “Right” Purpose of Right Lane

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Many times I have encountered several turtle slow vehicles (More often, commercial vehicles) driving on the right most lane in India. Even if this fact is overlooked for a while, the real issue lies when these drivers do not bother allowing the vehicles to pass from their right side despite indications. This problem is more prominent in U.P (including expressways like DND). I was travelling towards Meerut and the situation is worst. All the rashly driven trucks and buses were cruising on the right lane. You cannot overtake from left either due to bullock carts and tractors unexpectedly approaching head-on in wrong lane. Another major concern is that broken-down vehicles halt on right most lane too for a reason which is beyond me. Ideally, the right lane is known as ‘passing lane’ but sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Drive Safe,
350Z

In Mumbai, The auto rickshaws with average speed of 40 KMPH drives on right most or second lane, even after honking like hell, they don't change the lane to left most or most nearest left lane. The morons like these are the major cause of traffic jams. In Mumbai, on western expressway, the right most lane, is the slowest. Any one staying in Mumbai and travelling through western expressway would agree to this. And reason to this is still unknown to all. Where as it should be other way round where, right most lane should be fastest. [frustration]

At first i thought you mistakenly wrote "Right" lane instead of "Left", but then realized that you are mentioning about the traffic manners of UP [lol]! I have driven on Agra roads and have seen similar scenario. The trucks, no matter how slow they are being driven would be found on the right lane. As a matter of fact, i too drive on the right lane, however, i do keep a check on my RVMs and on spotting an approaching fast moving vehicle, i put on the turn signal and move to the slow lane.

One thing I have noted is, many commercial vehicles including cranes & bulldozers move in right-most lane to avoid bullock-carts and cycle-rikshaws. But they're just at 20kmph at high speed lanes, blocking all traffic! Have noticed this multiple times near Madhuban Chowk at Ring Road.

I am not saying this is right from the rules point of view, but, I feel that the trucks /heavy vehicles prefer to take the right lane because it will be difficult for them to stop/slowdown for overtaking bullock cart or bikers if they are on the left lane. (due to light vehicles clipping on the right lane). I am fine with this arrangement while driving on the highways, sticking to the right lane and changing lane to overtake trucks. (as long as they driving between 2 lanes blocking the road)

Personally I will be happy if they stick to the right lane, and let us overtake on the left lane. The reason is that we can slow down and get back to speed much more easily and effortlessly than heavy trucks.

The concept of the right lane being the fast lane does not work in most Indian 4 lane highways.

Most painful part to see in Hyderabad(even in Delhi recently) that two wheeler people on extreme right lane near divider and never bother to look back what is coming behind them[frustration], it is really big nuisance !!

More over When I was discussing with a truck driver during one of trafic jam while going from office to home, he said that they are scared of going to left since they are afraid of vehicle getting stuck, over turn etc cos of bad road conditions. Instead they will be in the left always.

I do as HR/Akash does. I will keep keep going in right lane. If I see any fast moving vehicle, I will move to the left and he can go in right lane. If i see any slow moving vehicle before me, i take left in a decent distance [obivioulsy after seeing the left in OVRM] so that I can go safely and overtake the slow moving vehicle and again go to the right.

Some times some slow moving vehicles will keep going in left also. So this will make us to go like ZIG ZAG sometimes from right to left, again left to right and right to left and go on. That will be really very sad and risky too sometimes.

RK Sir, you forgot about cycles..

Here, few motor training instructors tell the learners to stick to the right. And drive along with the divider. So that experts can pass over them from left. On my way to office many a times I see a instructor , with his car crawling on the right most lane. [anger]

all of you must hv heard the Gangnam style, now listen to the delhi style

put the best of horns and crank it till the truck driver gives direction.
have been using this style for a while and good to scare out of anyone who thinks the roads belong to their fathers father :p:

p.s once you decide on bigger n more powerful horns , do upgrade the amp of the fuse and/or use a relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Understand the “Right” Purpose of Right Lane

This is usually NOT the case (trucks on the right) on highways leading out of Mumbai. But there are always exceptions.

And, like I said in one of my previous posts, only rarely have I seen this in Gujarat.

sometimes it happens here as well. In asia one can get away with it but i heard in USA and all overtaking from left is against the law and called undertaking.

sometimes it happens here as well. In asia one can get away with it but i heard in USA and all overtaking from left is against the law and called undertaking.
Isn't left the high-speed lane in US?

I fully agree with Highway Ranger's post. Most of the time i see it's other road users who are driving more dangerously than Truck drivers .

Well, I have no issues with truckers moving in right lane. At least they move straight not like our bus drivers and car drivers who most of the times drive occupying both the lanes.

Rest I guess nearly all the drivers prefer right lane because they don't want to apply brakes every kilometer for a crawling vehicle.

Well, you get to see these heavy, slow vehicles very often on the right lane in most cities and some congested highways. Despite the fact that it is really irritating, I agree with what Highway Ranger and Abhiwar say to an extent. Proof? Have a look at the Yamuna Expressway. In my journey on the e-way, I found all busses and trucks (without exception) sticking only to the leftmost lane, which leads me to believe that if the slow lane is left to busses and trucks without stoppages, they are happy sticking to it and letting the others go by! (This is only my experience - others may have a different take on this). Any guesses who were the real culprits? Men and women in their swanky cars! While driving in the center lane, I found a number of them overtaking me from the left lane despite the right lane being completely free! What do you say to that?

Top Bottom