Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I was fed up of stopping the car now and then to ask “Rasta Kidhar Se?” to several pedestrians, hawkers, auto drivers and whom not, whenever I used to travel at unknown locations in Delhi and NCR. After sometime, I started using Google Maps to obtain an idea of the routes well in advance of the trip. This somewhat helped to an extent but ultimately it were only the pedestrians who proved to be a savior. Trust me; even though the local'ites have always been of great help, it is seriously a chore to step out of the car everytime to seek assistance on directions in the scorching summers, especially when you know you are already getting late. This frustration increases further when a random cyclist’s advice to “head on straight, left from T-Point, skip four signals, then right, under flyover, second exit from roundabout” turns out to be wrong. You are left of nowhere except to seek for directions again from someone else like that. Gosh. Enough of misery.

Why a GPS?

Garmin-Nuvi-40LM-Box.jpg

I felt it was high time to get hold of a personal navigator in form of a GPS (Global Positioning System). More so, it was must as I was planning to explore some new locations after acquiring the new car. The hunt for GPS started with only one brand in mind: Map My India (MMI). MMI needs no introduction in India. It is a default choice of someone who is into this market. I was no different. I fixed a budget of Rs.8,000 with strict requirement of a GPS. Therefore, I did not mind sacrificing other features like Bluetooth, DVD Player etc. on models priced slightly above (Rs.10,000 or so). MMI Road Pilot was the only option open for me. I inquired at different shops to find out the price. The best deal among all was offered from where I bought the car (Riddhi Ford). He knows me quite well and told that they could give up the commission to offer the best possible deal for me.

However, the problem was that they had models above MMI VX140S. I could have bought it for thousand bucks lesser but still I did not wish to stretch the budget. As usual, I was checking out GPS at some accessories shops and one of the shopkeepers informed about newly launched Garmin Nuvi 40 and 50 LM. Price of these products is Rs.8,450 and Rs.9,990 respectively with the only difference being in size of the screen. Garmin is a globally acclaimed brand when it comes to Navigation Devices. Yet, I was suspicious about their coverage and after sales support in India.

I found Garmin’s hardware quality much superior than MMI. The list of features was impressive too, including a bigger screen size + free MalSing Maps (Malaysia + Singapore). I doubt if I would ever use it though. However, the best part was lifetime free map updates (LM = Lifetime Maps). On the other hand, I had to shell out thousand bucks each time to update MMI Maps. I did not haggle much as I was clueless about this product. The salesperson said, “Sir, I can offer Garmin GPS for Rs.8, 500 right now. This device is available only for a limited period”. I just noted his contact number and returned.

The first thing I did after coming back was to create a new thread about it on our forum (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...my-india-road-pilot-vs-garmin-nuvi-40-lm.html). Also performed a quick search on the net but did not find much information except on Garmin’s official website. Most of the members on our forum were in favor of Garmin. This supported my confidence and decided to move ahead. I called up the nearest Garmin authorized dealer and fixed the deal at Rs.8,000. He was kind enough to deliver it at home.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Your Personal Navigator.

Garmin-Nuvi-40LM-Screen.jpg

Garmin Nuvi 40 LM box contains the following items: GPS Device + Preloaded India & Malaysia / Singapore Maps, Windshield Suction Cup Mount, 12V Car Power Cable and User Manual. First thing, I am new to this gadget. Although the layout is user friendly, it took some time for me to figure out a few functions. Its 15-page user manual is good for nothing. It more or less briefs on updating the software. That’s it. The device itself has some information on basic know how which is accessible with “?” (Help Menu) icon on top right of the screen.

The size of the screen is 4.3” as opposed to 3.5” of MMI Road Pilot (Garmin Nuvi 50LM has 5.0”). Do not underestimate the windscreen suction cup mount even though it is made in China. It feels sturdy enough after proper fixing. I have kept it permanently fixed and stored the car charger in glove box so I just have to pick the main device before travelling. Note that Garmin provides neither a wall charger nor a USB Cable unlike MMI, which is a big letdown. It is, however, available as an add-on. Garmin branded USB Cable costs Rs.300. I think I am better off buying it from elsewhere.

The screen prompts a “Warning” right after switching on the device, informing the user to pay full attention to the vehicle while driving. Touch agree button to proceed. The home screen has two menus: “Where To?” and “View Map”. The “Where To?” menu has a wide list of options like Points of Interest, Recently Found, Favorites, House Search, Go Home, Go Office, Phone Number, Travel Guide*, Cities, Browse Map, Intersection, Coordinates and Extras*. (Star Marking * indicates that it needs to be downloaded from Garmin Website). You can also choose to view information either of a different location, approaching destination or the recent most destination with the help of “Near” button.

Warning.jpg

Where-To.jpg

• Points of Interests (POI): submenu has options ranging from hotels / restaurants, fuel pumps to recreations and auto services. Similarly, these menus are also divided to provide specific details. For Example: Food & Drink has further options like American, Chinese, and Mexican Cuisine etc. Shopping Menu has choices for Apparels, Computers, House or Gardens and Attractions has selections for Amusement Parks, Landmarks etc.
POI.jpg

Food-Menu.jpg

• Recently Found & Favorites: are one of the useful functionalities of this gadget. Selecting “Recently Found” displays a list of all the recently performed searches. On the other hand, “Favorites” enables to save the destinations of your choice. To save a location: Search it on the map, click information balloon and enter save. You are done. Note: You can also create new folders to organize the different favorite locations.
Favourites.jpg

• House Number Search: might be useful in certain well-planned cities like Chandigarh. I tried searching my own house number but it did not work. Then I just performed a random search of house number 18 in Chandigarh Block - B. Presto. It was instantly recognized.
House-Search.JPG

• Go To Home / Office: is a ‘set it and forget it’ option. Just set the location of your house and office. Next time you are anywhere else, say a shopping mall, select “Go Home” and navigator will guide all the way through.

Go-Office.jpg

• Phone Number Search: is another interesting search feature. All you have to do is enter the telephone number of a point of interest and the device will automatically show the results depending upon the availability of specified telephone number in its database.
Phone-Search.jpg

• Search States / Cities: This option is for searching specific places from the vast collection of pre-loaded locations in GPS. Suppose, You have to travel Noida Sector 55. Select Delhi NCR > Enter “Noida, Sector-55” > Go. While typing the destination, the software shows similar suggestions to enable quicker searches.
City-Search.jpg

• Search Intersection / Coordinates: The junction facility helps to locate a point where the two specified roads intersect and the coordinate feature permits to locate a destination using geographic coordinates.
Coordinates-Search.jpg

Now coming to the “View Map” section of the main screen, as the name itself suggests, this options opens up the map with current location as default. Just like any other map, You can scroll it anywhere to view the roads and places. I have adjusted the detailing to normal and kept limited POIs display to prevent the map from clutter. One can also select the destination from the map itself.

View-Map.jpg

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Navigation Settings.

Garmin has offered sufficient customization options with Nuvi 40. It's one of the things that I really find impressive about this device. Let's check out some of the important settings that one can explore in the “Settings” Menu.

> Maps:

• GPS Mode: You can set the GPS mode to normal, completely off (indoor) or MSAS (Multi Functional Satellite Augmentation System) / WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System). The simulator option is available in the offline mode only.
GPS-Mode.jpg

• Keyboard Layout: The keyboard layout has two options: Customary “ABCD” or modern “QWERTY”. I am sure most of us would be much comfortable with QWERTY and therefore it is default.
Keyboard-Layout.jpg

• Garmin Safe Mode: Quite a useful feature. Turning on the “Safe Mode” prevents the user to set or search points of interest while the vehicle is in motion. It is recommended to enable this function unless there is someone else accompanying in the car to fiddle with settings.
Safe-Mode.jpg

> Navigation:

• Route Preference: This menu has three options: Faster Time, Shorter Distance and Off Road. Setting the faster time option would enable the GPS to stick with main roads. While shorter distance has strong possibility of navigating through congested short cuts and rural areas, which thereby is likely to increase the travel time. The third choice “Off Road” is less said the better. I will leave it for fellow 4x4 owners on our forum. :smile:
Route-Preference.jpg

• Avoidances: Yet another helpful feature. Garmin allows skipping toll routes, U-Turns, highways, ferries, carpool lanes and unpaved roads. You can either disable all or select particular options with the check box.
Avoidances.jpg

• GPS Use Mode: Nuvi 40 necessarily need not to be used only when you are driving a car. It can be turned into “Pedestrian” mode from “Automobile” mode while walking to assist directions on the streets from a pedestrian’s point of view.
Usage-Mode.jpg

> Display Settings:

• Color Mode: Personally, I find this function quite handy. The screen display has ability to automatically adjust the color depending upon time of the day. In daylight, the screen has white background and in night, it turns into black to avert straining the eyes. Alternatively, the screen background can also be adjusted manually forever as per one’s own liking.
Colour-Mode-White.jpg

Colour-Mode-Black.jpg

• Screen Shot: It is possible to capture screen shots of any screen view on Garmin. Just tap the ‘camera’ icon on top right and it will save a screen shot in the pre-defined folder. However, You need to have data cable to transfer the images to another device (I miss Bluetooth here).

Screenshots.jpg

• Brightness: The brightness levels are adjustable as per the situation demands. I have set it to 50% and the screen is readable enough even in the noon with maximum natural light that anyway would not affect much once inside the car. Remember, lesser the brightness, more the battery life. Normally 50% brightness is an acceptable value to enjoy both.
Brightness.jpg

> Language Settings:

• Voice Guidance: There are three India specific voice choices: Hindi (Shammi Narang), Indian English (Pallavi Bharti), Indian English with ability to speak street names (Sangeeta). The Hindi male voice sounds crisp and bold. Note that it is the same voice that we hear everyday in Delhi Metro. Second is a female voice of Pallavi Bharti in Indian English that sounds good as well but cannot speak street names. The third option is Sangeeta, which is the only one to speak street names in Indian English. Apart from it, there are more voice options too in other accents as well as languages.
Voice-Language.jpg

• Text & Keyboard Language: There are plentiful of language options on this side for text and key board language settings, including American and British English. This is especially useful for foreign tourists who might drive themselves in India with an onboard Garmin GPS device.
Keyboard-Language.jpg

> Map Settings:

• Map Details: Map detailing can be set to more, normal or less. More detailing clutter ups the screen while less will provide only limited information. The default option is normal and best to retain that way.
Map-Detail.jpg

• Map View: There are again a choice of three options here, namely, Track Up, North Up and 3D. I am using Track up to for wider display coverage of the routes.
Map-View.jpg

• Your Vehicle: You can personalize the device by choosing a different vehicle for guidance such as a sedan, racecar, UV, arrow, shoes, bird, ball etc. Much more of them are available for free download from online Garmin Garage (Garmin India | Garmin Garage).
Select-Vehicle.jpg

• POI Icons: The Points of Interests Signs can be either completely turned off from screen view or selected particularly from a wide range of available options like Food, Shopping, Fuel Pump, Entertainment, Hospital etc. To avoid cluttering the map, I have picked up useful options only such as Fuel Pumps, Hospitals and Auto Services.
POI-Icons.jpg

• Trip Log: The trip log feature automatically marks the path that has been traveled through a thin light blue line as seen in the following image.
Trip-Log.jpg

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
How Does it Navigates?

Garmin-Nuvi-40LM-Windshield-Mount.jpg

Upon selecting a destination through one of the previously mentioned methods, the map screen appears with a “Go” button on left. Tap on it and GPS connects to the satellite. This process is matter of a few seconds. However, it doesn't connects on the indoors and I am yet to test it in the basements, tunnels or underpass. I assume it might not work there either. A confident and loud voice instantly instructs the directions. During demo, it navigated me towards a cut that has been closed. I can overlook that since local residents have closed it through barricades recently. So of course, I don't expect GPS to guide me through roads, which are either temporarily closed or customized by local residents. I decided to head on straight and was glad to find that it automatically recalculated and suggested the next best route.

Although, on Greater Noida Expressway it left me puzzled. The screen seemed to have displayed first left and as soon as I turned left, it recalculated a new route. Later I realized I was supposed take the second left as it indicated through voice (I somehow failed to hear it). Hence, I have now set the ‘Track up’ map view instead of ‘3D’ so that I can know about the roads ahead well in advance. I have another amusing incident to share, on the same route (after recalculating), GPS insisted me to turn left on a bridge. Guess what was on the left? A river. :biggrin:

Anyhow I’m thankful that it assisted me to reach to the desired destination in Noida without a fuss. I accept, I still did lost the route for once but it was more or less because of misinterpretation. On a lighter note, maybe I would have lost over thrice without GPS. Overall, it worked like a charm and assisted across the trip even when I lost the real route. Now am I satisfied with the decision to buy a GPS? Yes. Though before someone asks whether it is worth to own a GPS? I’d like to remind that a gadget is a gadget. It can never take place of human brain. Even a combination of 5% common sense and 95% GPS could significantly help to reach out to the destination flawlessly but if someone prefers relying on such gadgets alone, I am afraid, it would surely disappoint. And it is not just limited to Garmin but similar gadgets from any other manufacturer.

Additional Important Points:

> The device is almost as light to hold as a Smartphone.

> The touch screen is highly responsive which is a major advantage.

> The battery life is not more than around 1.5 Hours in practical conditions.

> Navteq supplies the preloaded India maps and Malaysia Maps are courtesy of MalSing Maps.

> There is no facility provided to save desired routes. This might be a put off for frequent travelers.

> Just before a junction, a graphical image appears on half of the screen to indicate towards right direction.

> You would never require turning the speaker to full volume for voice assist even in traffic with windows rolled down.

> The dashboard display screen provides useful information like total distance covered, maximum speed, stops, total time, average time etc.

> The “free maps” come with an asterisk. The free updates are downloadable only 4 times a year. Garmin also reserves the right to stop free updates in case they do not receive the maps from their supplier or if the useful life of product expires (Typically 5 Years).

A POI can be located directly on the map. “Set Location” button appears when GPS is disabled. It allows to set the chosen location as current location.
Map-Locate.jpg

Simply click on the information balloon to find out complete information of a particular POI.
Location-Details.jpg

Tap on “Go” and touch top navbar for textual driving directions.
Navigation-Text.jpg

You can alternatively also view the text along with the map.
Navigation-Text-Scree.jpg

The “Set Via Point” option appears upon selection of a new destination in a current trip.
Set-Via.jpg

The informative signal display screen shows geographic coordinates, speed, elevation, signal strength etc.
Current-Location.jpg

The dashboard display screen is informative enough too and provides necessary data that a traveler would need to know.
Dashboard-Screen.jpg

You have a choice to view the data that should appear while the device is navigating.
Display-Data.jpg

The car charger (included) fits in the regular 12V socket of your vehicle. Its cable is long enough too.
Garmin-Nuvi-40LM-Car-Charger.jpg

Garmin Nuvi 40 looks sweet mounted on the windscreen of my car. And no, it doesn’t hampers the visibility at all.
Garmin-Nuvi-40LM-Ford-Fiesta.jpg

(© The Automotive India. All rights reserved. The content such as reviews & images cannot be reproduced without prior written permission of our authority.)

350z sir
This is really an comprehensive Review. I means for 8k u get piece of mind for 5 years in knowing unknown roads . I am also tempted to buy this one.
BTW is warranty for 5 years ? Please keep the thread updated very 15 days about usage experience .

Also wont the voice coming from it affect music played in the car [surprise]

Last edited:
Thanks a TON Vibhor for such a comprehensive review of the device. When I started reading I had a few questions in mind to as to you if not covered, and boy i was surprised to see each one of them answered by the end. Fantastic write-up I must say. Your review has helped me to almost finalize on my PND.
Just a quick one though : How long does the GPS take to lock and what's the average signal strength?

Thanks once again.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
BTW is warranty for 5 years?
The warranty is for 1 Year if I’m not mistaken. 5 Years is assumed as maximum life of the product. Of course, one can also keep it for much longer depending upon usage and maintenance but the free maps will not be supplied once the product is discontinued from market.

Also wont the voice coming from it affect music played in the car
The volume is loud enough. Personally I’d prefer using one device at a time to avoid too much of distraction while driving.

Thanks a TON Vibhor for such a comprehensive review of the device. When I started reading I had a few questions in mind to as to you if not covered, and boy i was surprised to see each one of them answered by the end.
Thanks. Glad to help.

Just a quick one though : How long does the GPS take to lock and what's the average signal strength?
It’s just a matter of few seconds (same for recalculating the route). I have never had issues with connectivity in regular driving conditions until now.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Well let me share ba case
I was on noida expressway and overshooted and actually had to go near Japyee F1 Track. Now i asked a person who told me the way and also asked me that two person working in a nearby company will be in the way so if i want i can pick and drop them.
I said okay.

Now when i reached that place those 2 men were standing. But there appearance was very poor and suspicious. I asked them do they have their organisation ID Card. They said NO

My god i thought maybe these guys are CARJACKERS [surprise]. I immediately closed my power windows which i opened very less anyhow. Then i just SPED AWAY

Dunno were these guiys reallly thugs [thinking]

This device will help avoiding such things atleast

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
This device will help avoiding such things atleast
Yes, sure it would add to the convenience as well as safety. The times have changed and it is difficult to trust someone unknown to offer a lift.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thank you 350Z for a detailed review. Actually am looking for similar one for my Fiesta and your review helped me to stick to Garmin.

BTW, can you please suggest any good reverse camera with parking sensors with or without Bluetooth and USB? In one of the stores, I came across K-II brand (rear view mirror fitting) with everything. Do you know anything of this brand? Sorry, if this is off-topic here.

Thanks again...

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
@350Z : One more query. Don't you find the track markings too thin (the white line on which the car icon moves) in garmin then that of MMI. Is this actually a difference?
The white arrows appear only to assist on turns. You can see that the complete path is defined via purplish line which is quite similar to that of MMI.

Thanks for the review 350Z.. One question, will it have any periodic updates ? If yes, can we do it ourselves ?
Yes. It does have periodic updates. You can install maximum four free updates per year after registering the device with Garmin’s website.

BTW, can you please suggest any good reverse camera with parking sensors with or without Bluetooth and USB? In one of the stores, I came across K-II brand (rear view mirror fitting) with everything. Do you know anything of this brand? Sorry, if this is off-topic here.
It would be more appropriate if we discuss about this in the relevant topic. A related link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...verse-parking-sensors-suggestions-needed.html. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom