Universal Oval Muffler Tip Review

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends

Here I am with a new product review. The aftermarket oval muffler tip for any car that has straight muffler tailpipe and dia 2 inch or less.

Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_001.jpg

Review

My car (Honda City 3rd Gen VMT) had come with factory fitted muffler tip. Unfortunately, the bolt that holds the tip got broken (Head) due to rust and I had hard time removing the leftover bolt from the nut and could only fix it for temporary, as it requires new nut welding done in factory.

Meanwhile, I was searching for new muffler tip in oval shape so that it matches bumper cutout, instead of round tip. Thanks to Dr Mudhan for providing details about different muffler tips (Link #1 and Link #2). Performance Zone India has HKS brand universal muffler tip that costs 3.5k. Quality should be excellent but for me its pretty expensive for a cosmetic product and I don't like burning color. My car has low ground clearance and existing muffler tip has taken hit many times so I'm afraid to use expensive tip where there is chance of losing or damaging it. Chinese muffler tips listed for specific cars cost Rs. 400 and above but attached pictures, details look all same. I found one listed as universal in Amazon for Rs. 350 and I liked the design. Seller is marked as fulfilled by Amazon (Now its removed) so I can return it incase its not good so I thought to give it a try.

Seller shipped the product promptly and I received it today in well packed manner. I expected it to be different then shown in picture and low quality but to my surprise, its exactly same and thickness of steal is same as OE muffler tip. Well finished and feels solid. I think its Chromed steel but neither OE muffler tip looks S.S. There is chance of rusting so Dr Mudhan has suggested to electroplate to make it durable.

I took some snapshots from my DSLR and went to install the tip. Since this is universal muffler tip, it took more time to correctly align to muffler pipe. It wasn't 100% perfect or exact fit but not bad either. Actually the muffler tailpipe end is ~50 mm but its crunched inside (43 mm) and also curved (Diagram picture below). I had to fasten the muffler tip bolt to inner pipe and its firm now so lets see how long it serves.

ANHC_Muffler_End.jpg

Details

Product Name: AutoSun Car Exhaust Tube in Tube Silencer Muffler Tip For Universal Cars
Product Link: Here
Cost: Rs. 345/-
Sold by: 24X7 SHOPPING ONLINE on Amazon India
Supported tailpipe dia: Min 35mm, Max 52 mm

Snapshots

Oval Muffler Tip
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_002.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_003.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_004.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_005.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_006.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_007.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_008.jpg

OE Muffler tip in the left side
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_009.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_010.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_011.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_012.jpg

Installation
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_013.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_014.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_015.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_016.jpg

Dimensions diagram
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_017.jpg

Thats it. Thanks for reading and I hope you liked my review. If you have any queries, feel free to ask me. Also if you are using or have bought aftermarket muffler tip, you can share review here.

Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Universal Oval Muffler Tip - Review

I have taken few more snapshots today. As you can see, the muffler pipe is little leftwards and there is slight gap in the right. I tried many times to align but still endup with gap. I think its happening because the pipe is curved inside or tip fasteners aren't designed properly. Anyway, it doesn't cause issues nor its noticeable so I will ignore it. [:)]

Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_018.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_019.jpg
Uni_Oval_Muffler_Tip_020.jpg

Hi CRACING,
As always, wonderful photographs and illustrations [clap]. A couple of long shot photos would help us with the overall perspective if you can. I will have questions once my Aliexpress order is delivered. Here are a couple for now:
1. Where do we get the electroplating done?
2. How tight do we have to screw the tip? Is it enough to ensure by testing with bare hands or should it have specific tightening torque level if any?

Thread Starter #4

A couple of long shot photos would help us with the overall perspective if you can.
Do you mean full rear shot of my car? I will get it soon and post here.

1. Where do we get the electroplating done?
May be you can get details from workers in metal fabrication factories. Electroplating is common and inexpensive process. If they don't know the word, then ask for chrome plating.

There is one in my city market area, I will check it out when possible.

2. How tight do we have to screw the tip? Is it enough to ensure by testing with bare hands or should it have specific tightening torque level if any?
Tightening the screws until the tip is secured is enough. Clips/champs aren't strong and they will bend if over-tightened. I don't like the design to secure the tip, made on these Chinese Muffler tips. Some have faced issues like tip becoming lose or turning around after sometime. OE tip is much better, even though it has single bolt. Check the rear picture of both tips.

Last edited:

Do you mean full rear shot of my car? I will get it soon and post here.
Yup, please do. [:)]

If they don't know the word, then ask for chrome plating.
Excactly!!

Tightening the screws until the tip is secured is enough. Clips/champs aren't strong and they will bend if over-tightened. I don't like the design to secure the tip, made on these Chinese Muffler tips. Some have faced issues like tip becoming lose or turning around after sometime. OE tip is much better, even though it has single bolt. Check the rear picture of both tips.
Thank you. I am sure to have nightmares when installing mine on this tail pipe [evil]:
203408d1466427686t-tata-tiago-petrol-xz-laymans-review-10-000-kms-milestone-02_03.jpg

Thread Starter #6
Thread Starter #7
Hello Prabhagar,

As requested, today I have taken some snapshots of my car and uploaded to my google photos account. Here is link. Last 6 photos are the latest and muffler tip can be seen in last 4 pics.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Got the exhaust tip delivered this week. Quality is just about average with few dents and rough edges. I will be happy if it lasts at least 6 months to satisfy my cheap thrill. I haven't installed it yet but checked the compatibility of it with my car without tightening the nuts. Please let me know if you see any issues with this setup:

SideViewCollage.jpg

RearView.jpg

Thread Starter #9
Got the exhaust tip delivered this week. Quality is just about average with few dents and rough edges. I will be happy if it lasts at least 6 months to satisfy my cheap thrill. I haven't installed it yet but checked the compatibility of it with my car without tightening the nuts. Please let me know if you see any issues with this setup:
It is looking good and you have received it quickly. [clap]

I see that the muffler tip has got three bolts so it should fit securely then mine. As of dents and improper finishing, send some snapshots to seller and he may refund you some money.

My doubts:
1. The muffler pipe end has 45* angle cut so does muffler tip abstracts the flow of gas?
2. The muffler tip is lower then muffler (Approx 1 inch or more) so do you think it will hit when going through bumps, potholes?
3. Your car is petrol but diesel cars will turn the turbine design to black. One of my friend said, the whole muffler tip became black in his Chevy Beat Diesel. [surprise]

BTW; I liked those black tail lamps on your car. If you have details about it, please send me via PM.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
It is looking good and you have received it quickly.
Yea I was surprised too, got it in one month straight. This tip also has a water drain hole at the bottom. Hopefully it is functional during rains.

I see that the muffler tip has got three bolts so it should fit securely then mine. As of dents and improper finishing, send some snapshots to seller and he may refund you some money.
Thank you, I have just sent the pics with dents and scratches.

1. The muffler pipe end has 45* angle cut so does muffler tip abstracts the flow of gas?
2. The muffler tip is lower then muffler (Approx 1 inch or more) so do you think it will hit when going through bumps, potholes?
3. Your car is petrol but diesel cars will turn the turbine design to black. One of my friend said, the whole muffler tip became black in his Chevy Beat Diesel.
1. From what I see, it should not obstruct gas flow as there is plenty of space inside the tip.
2. Yes I will lose about 5-7mm of ground clearance (my picture exaggerates it). The roads I drive aren't that bad but only time will tell. As I mentioned earlier, its just for cheap thrills [:D].
3. Very true, I have seen several Nissan Sunny's in my office parking, all with almost black color chrome tips [lol].

BTW; I liked those black tail lamps on your car. If you have details about it, please send me via PM.
Thank you, they are just black decals/wraps costing Rs 700 for me. Any car decor shop will get it done if you wish to. As long as the quality of the wrap is good, it can be removed without leaving any marks behind. [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #12
This tip also has a water drain hole at the bottom. Hopefully it is functional during rains.
Thats a very good thing.

3. Very true, I have seen several Nissan Sunny's in my office parking, all with almost black color chrome tips.
By that we can assume how much these cars pollute our environment. [cry]

I always like to use petrol vehicles because I care about pollution more then FE. Incase I cannot afford the cost of petrol for a X work/trip, I choose other means of travelling (Walk, Bus, train...). I didn't mean to say that all diesel vehicles pollute environment but most do.

Thank you, they are just black decals/wraps costing Rs 700 for me. Any car decor shop will get it done if you wish to. As long as the quality of the wrap is good, it can be removed without leaving any marks behind. [thumbsup]
Cool, I will checkout. My car tail lights have become dull and there are hard water stains inside. I have tried to clean it several times but again it becomes bad. May be wrapping makes it look better and I can do it myself as I have done lot of carbonfiber wrapping using hot air gun.

Your car tail lights didn't look like wrapped. Kudos to quality of wrap and whoever has affixed it. [clap]

By that we can assume how much these cars pollute our environment.
Not only cars, anything we invent(ed) for that matter works against the environment for that matter.

I always like to use petrol vehicles because I care about pollution more then FE. Incase I cannot afford the cost of petrol for a X work/trip, I choose other means of travelling (Walk, Bus, train...). I didn't mean to say that all diesel vehicles pollute environment but most do.
I appreciate your care, buddy. I am looking forward to the EV segment to kick in here in India. Very much inspired by Tesla in the West. Hopefully we will find better ways to produce electricity as opposed to burning coal & splitting uranium.

Your car tail lights didn't look like wrapped. Kudos to quality of wrap and whoever has affixed it.
Well, it looks that way in the picture. I was not fully satisfied with the work done, you can find the details here:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eview-10-000-kms-milestone-17.html#post523457

Thread Starter #14
Well, it looks that way in the picture. I was not fully satisfied with the work done, you can find the details here:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eview-10-000-kms-milestone-17.html#post523457
I see.

The problem with the wrap is that it peels off in the edges, because we stretch it by heating and it reverts after cooling. So it needs something to hold in the edge. Also Chinese wraps don't have good adhesive then the branded ones.

They should have used glossy black strip instead of matte black so that it would look even with the tint.

Last edited:
I have some bad news. My muffler tip touches the plastic bumper after tightening the nuts. So I removed it right away as it could easily melt the plastic, causing more harm than serving its purpose. I guess this design won't suit the stock pipe of Tiago [cry].

IMG_20170525_082744.jpg

Top Bottom