[OCD Detailing] DC Basic White Clay Bar

Thread Starter #1
Product name : DC Basics White Clay Bar

Price : 1200 INR

Weight : 200g

Grid : Fine to Medium

Seller : Detailed Clean India [ link : https://www.detailedclean.in/detailing-clay/dc-basics-white-clay-bar-fine-medium-346]

Shipping : DTDC [free shipping with tracking for orders above 1000 INR]

Time to deliver : 4 days [To Mysore]

Initial Impressions :
Used this product two times till now. Got to say it removes roughness from paint surface and brings back smooth finish. I also clay bar my windshield just incase to remove any embedded contaminants.

2. Medium grid absorbs dust inside and prevents from causing scratches.

Dislikes :
1. Wish price was including clay lubricant too.
2. Too much pressure on clay bar may mar you paint.
3. Since it's a medium grid, it is slightly harder to get it into required shape.

Value for money : 7/10

Overall Satisfaction : 8/10

How to clay bar your car ?

Even before thinking about starting make sure you have a recommended clay lubricant with you. I used 3M car wash mixed with water as a lubricant. You can use water too if you want to.

Step 1 :
Wash your car thoroughly and make sure there is no dirt or any other contaminants on it. It is advisable to wash with a wax stripping car shampoo.

Step 2 :
Cut clay bar into a piece of suitable size. Make sure you hand is lubricated with the clay lubricant which you choose. Then flatten it into a rectangle/circle. Now lubricate the surface of clay bar and surface of you car.

Step 3 :
On the lubricated surface move the clay with medium pressure in a straight direction. If you feel some resistance, lubricate that spot and repeat to rub it using clay until there is no resistance.

Step 4 :
Inspect your clay bar. If it has some contaminants in to, please fold it so that those contaminants get embedded inside the clay and not on the surface of clay which will come in contact with car

Step 5 :
After claying entire surface, wash it with water so that it removes any disturbed contaminants on the surface. Then wipe it off using microfiber towel.

After clay baring you entire car, it will have a smooth surface. Now next step is polishing or waxing depending on condition.

Golden rule of clay baring : You drop it, you throw it.

Because clay bar attracts dust and sand into it so you don't have to risk scratching your paint.

Mine fell on the ground,

Last edited:
Thanks for this short and simple illustration [thumbsup]. I would like to know the cost of getting this done at a car detailer? Also how many times can we use this size clay bar? I see you cut a small piece of the product and used it, just curious to know the cost per use.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for this short and simple illustration [thumbsup]. I would like to know the cost of getting this done at a car detailer? Also how many times can we use this size clay bar? I see you cut a small piece of the product and used it, just curious to know the cost per use.
Since it is a 200g clay bar, it can be cut into 8 pieces.
Cost per piece is [(1200/8 )] 150 INR/piece.

Assuming you car is very dirty [off road level], you can use each piece twice.

Cost per piece per use is [(150/2)] 75 INR/piece/use.

If you drop it, you have to throw it and take other piece.

As per my idea, car detailers do this in packages only. Normally packages start from 2500 INR in Bangalore.

Last edited:
Since it is a 200g clay bar, it can be cut into 8 pieces.
Cost per piece is [(1200/8 )] 150 INR/piece.
Assuming you car is very dirty [off road level], you can use each piece twice.
Cost per piece per use is [(150/2)] 75 INR/piece/use.
If you drop it, you have to throw it and take other piece.
As per my idea, car detailers do this in packages only. Normally packages start from 2500 INR in Bangalore.
So one clay bar can be used 16 times on a typical car in ideal conditions. Thank you!

Clay bar is used once a year but using frequently is not advisable. By using clay bar, we can remove 99.9% residue, stains and oil, making the surface perfect for polishing. On some paints, the finish may become dull after using clay bar so polishing (A pure polish or AIO wax) has to done to restore shine.
Clay bar is a part of complete car detailing process followed by polish -> sealent and/or wax, so a time and energy consuming task.

I have been using Bilt Hamber Autoclay Soft since 2 years and other brand clay bars were expensive that time. Later DC Basic Clay Bar was available but no reviews nor details about who made the clay bar (brand).

I appreciate and thank Krishna for writing detailed review of the product to help the buyers. [:)]

Best Regards

Product name : DC Basics White Clay Bar

Cut clay bar into a piece of suitable size. Make sure you hand is lubricated with the clay lubricant which you choose. Then flatten it into a rectangle/circle. Now lubricate the surface of clay bar and surface of you car.
Hi Krishna,

There no need to cut the clay bar. Use the entire bar for best results. If the clay becomes dirty just fold it and use it again. Using this way wont strain your hands / fingers too much. Also to store the clay bar, take a small bottle with water in it and put the clay bar in it. So that it wont dry.
And for lubrication of the clay to move easily on the car surface dilute any car shampoo and spray it and wipe the clay (like you did). Clay bar lubricator isn't specifically required.

Nice instructions !![cheers]

Thread Starter #9
Clay bar is used once a year but using frequently is not advisable. By using clay bar, we can remove 99.9% residue, stains and oil, making the surface perfect for polishing. On some paints, the finish may become dull after using clay bar so polishing (A pure polish or AIO wax) has to done to restore shine.
Clay bar is a part of complete car detailing process followed by polish -> sealent and/or wax, so a time and energy consuming task.

I have been using Bilt Hamber Autoclay Soft since 2 years and other brand clay bars were expensive that time.
If you use wax based clay lubricant, you will have a dull surface instead of normal smooth one.

Polish, if required only. Every time you polish you'll be thinning out your car's clear coat. I only polish mainly to remove any swirls/paint correction. Since mine is a new car I apply glaze and then sealant.

Even I wanted to buy "Bilt Hamber Autoclay". When I bought DC basic clay, it was on offer. So my cheapness guided me to it.[:D]

Hi Krishna,

There no need to cut the clay bar. Use the entire bar for best results. If the clay becomes dirty just fold it and use it again. Using this way wont strain your hands / fingers too much. Also to store the clay bar, take a small bottle with water in it and put the clay bar in it.
This box itself has oily lubricant which helps in storing clay bar. Main reason I cut clay is to be safe in case I drop it and also a bar is difficult to clean some nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
If you use wax based clay lubricant, you will have a dull surface instead of normal smooth one.
I use Proklear RAW as a clay lubricant which doesn't include wax but I guess its clay bar residue that made my car paint look dull or the clay made something to clear coat. Though I'm not sure, will findout when I use the clay bar again.

Polish, if required only. Every time you polish you'll be thinning out your car's clear coat. I only polish mainly to remove any swirls/paint correction. Since mine is a new car I apply glaze and then sealant.
Yep but not as much as compound. Its safe and good to use polish every 6 months or one year, otherwise only wax doesn't bring the lost shine. Some polish products are strong and some are mild. We have to choose according to our requirements.

I only use detailing products from international brands like Meguiars, Mothers and etc and they describe exactly what their product does. i.e Meguiars Ultimate Polish is extremely mild and they say it can be used every month without issues (with proper pads) but that's probably overkill. Mothers say their Pure Polish should be used at least once or twice a year. So its not really a optional product.

My car detailing schedule:
Clay bar every year, followed by AIO or polish and wax,
Polishing or AIO every 6 months with machine,
Waxing every 3 months with machine,
and Spray wax every month.

Detailing products I have at present:
Mother's Pure Polish
Meguiars Ultimate Polish

Mother's Synthetic Wax
Meguiar's Yellow Wax

Meguiars Black Wax AIO
Auto Finesse Tripple AIO

Optimum Car Wax Spray
Proklear SX Spray Wax

Lake Country Black CCS pad

Thread Starter #11
@cracing,
Proklear clay lubricant is oil based, so it leave a thin layer on top. This is to prevent the car surface from drying up and leave marks on it.

Try using car wash shampoo mixture next time you clay. You can directly go to glaze to get that shiny look.

Thread Starter #12
How long it took ?
Sorry for my late reply. It takes around 1hr to cover complete car.

@carcing, Used proklear raw waterless wash as clay lube on my friends car, it leaves a residue. I regret telling him to use on windows. During evening sun set residue causes light refraction in his car making it hard to see behind via IRVM.

Last edited:
@carcing, Used proklear raw waterless wash as clay lube on my friends car, it leaves a residue. I regret telling him to use on windows. During evening sun set residue causes light refraction in his car making it hard to see behind via IRVM.
Yep, recently I had hard time cleaning the residue when I used RAW to clean my car. The product shouldn't left to dry on the paint surface otherwise it will be very difficult to clean the residue. Same goes for RAW CX and also SX Spray Wax. May be Proklear wants use to become bodybuilders. [:D]

I have Muc-off car shampoo and will try that as clay lube next time.

p.s I'm looking for alternative and VFM Waterless car wash products. Wavex has one but it contains Wax.

Thread Starter #15
.p.s I'm looking for alternative and VFM Waterless car wash products.
Please do notify me when you find them.

Can I use this as clay lube ? Please advice. If yes what is the ratio to mix with water ?
You can use this as a clay lube. Use 3ml of car shampoo to every 100ml of water. Remember to use mild pressure on clay bar.

Top Bottom