Review : Yoko Earth-1 on Fluidic Verna 2012

Thread Starter #1
Hi team,
It is been more than 100 km since I got new tyres. The link is here : (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ion-mess-hyundai-verna-2012-a.html#post510692). On Tuesday evening I got to take it bit longer to someplace near Lal Bagh and back. It was about 40+ km total, and in mixed traffic. So time for initial observations.

Grip & Steering feel: In dry and wet surfaces, at City traffic speeds, I'm not finding any huge difference when it comes to Grip. Sometimes, while making 90 deg turns @ 20 kph, I felt steering was light. Other times, steering response is same as was with Kumho tyres. Due to low rolling resistance ? Due to Electric Steering ? Don't know, frankly. Yet to cross a speed of 60 kph with these new tyres.

Braking and Handling: Only once I had to brake urgently, due to the car ahead. No drama observed. Weaving thro traffic to capture an available slot in adjacent lane remains as smooth as early. High speed highway runs will bring out more info.

Wheel Spinning: Not observed.

Speed Bumps: Though OEM and these tyres are of same Dimension, I'm finding smoothness while going over speed bumps / potholes. I'm also babying the car gently over the bumps / pot holes. Having spent close to Rs.20,000/- is another reason for babying car, errr, tyres [;)]

Looks: How cares ?

SUMMARY: I am impressed by ... ... ... my earlier Kumho tyres [:D]. For a budget tyre brand, they delivered really good. If car is MOSTLY for driving within City and within 50-60 kph, ANY decent tyre would do the job. No point in spending money in other than home grown brands.

Thread Starter #3
REview afte 300 km

Comfy: It's been some 300 km since the new tyres and they seem to have their run in period. They are more comfortable now. I'm not babying the tyres/car over ALL potholes but I go over some potholes without much care. The tyres feel more cushion-y (what should be the correct word here ???).

Quite: Since the new tyres, I did not use my in-car-audio. Switched it on 3-4 days back and kept the volume around the usual 7 to 9. I realised, the Yokos are more silent than earlier Kumhos when some mp3 is playing. Ahhh ... luxury.

Grip: Yesterday, I had the chance to floor the pedal, to run away from smart Alecs on Bengaluru's Ring Rroad. The speed was not much, but leaving behind Alecs felt good; in fact, I am smiling as I am typing this. The grip provided by the Yokos is very promising for smile-inducing-Highway-runs.

Humming Sound: I posted it here (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...6-crdi-ex-50-000-kms-update-5.html#post511755) as part of my Regular review of my Car. It seems more appropriate there.

I am also in the market for new shoes to my 2011 Verna. How is the ride quality on these earth 1 tyres? Are these soft rubber or hard rubber tyres? Any other brand considered? What are the current prices for current sized tyres?

Just came to know that you have 15"tyres. I am having 16"for SX model

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
I am also in the market for new shoes to my 2011 Verna. How is the ride quality on these earth 1 tyres? Are these soft rubber or hard rubber tyres? Any other brand considered? What are the current prices for current sized tyres?

The ride quality is good. Recently, a Senior (driving Civic) complemented the ride. I posted it somewhere recently.

Tyres seem to be bit towards hard than soft. This info is basically from Internet. MRF seems to be harder than foreign brands as I notice them more on Taxis.

Post #7 in the link under post #1 of THIS THREAD, lists the tyres I considered. Yoko Earth 1 appealed to me more.

You can check cost of 195/55/R16 tyres in this link here https://www.tyremarket.com//Search.aspx?search=1

Online rates could be cheaper. But, better buy from a local tyre shop. You'll be assured of recent batch of tyres and would also get Wheel Balancing, Alignment & Nitrogen filling free. On top of that, you are giving business to a local guy (sorry, if I sound regional).

Hope these help. Good Luck.

Which is the exact size /load index,./speed index you are looking for?

@Vijay, can you please post the E markings, UTQG ratings mentioned on the sidewall of the tire, In my size I couldn't see any.

Thread Starter #8
... @Vijay, can you please post the E markings, UTQG ratings mentioned on the sidewall of the tire, In my size I couldn't see any.
Forgot to check yesterday. Today I checked to find no such markings. Why Yokohama, you do not want Indians to know it ?

PS: I remember seeing these on Goodyear TripleMax Assurance tyres with tread wear rating of 320, IIRC.

Why Yokohama, you do not want Indians to know it ? .
This secrecy is limited just for Earth1 & Adrives rest of the models from Yokohama do get the Treadwear, Traction Temperature ratings embossed on the sidewall. Eg Advan sports has got Treadwear rating of 600!!!, meaning tyre would last 66 to 72 kkm given the test road conditions.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
This secrecy is limited just for Earth1 & Adrives rest of the models from Yokohama do get the Treadwear, Traction Temperature ratings embossed on the sidewall. Eg Advan sports has got Treadwear rating of 600!!!, meaning tyre would last 66 to 72 kkm given the test road conditions.
Hey tornado. Why don't you make a new thread telling about all the details. You did mention in your thread what all markings a particular brand has but would love to know the complete details and what to expect.

Thanks vijay and tornado for your replies. I am looking for 205/55 R16 91W size for my verna. I have already Hankook tyres of the same size which have lost useful life only in 27000 Kms.

Now i am in real dilemma whether to go for higher cost tyres or lower cost as i am planning to replace the verna in one year. What you guys think?

205 /55R16 tyre replacement choice for Verna

I am looking for 205/55 R16 91W size
Of late, I have replaced tyres of one of my car in this size, we can discuss there too http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...vs-f1-gsd-3-vs-kr-20-vs-cpc2-vs-alnac-4g.html
I have already Hankook tyres of the same size which have lost useful life only in 27000 Kms.
Hankook, if they are ventus V12evo, the treadwear rating is 280, meaning tread life of approx 30 k to 32k km in test conditions (American road, air pressure maintened throughout, no over speeding, dry conditions alignment done at regular intervals & at slightest doubt, Temperature not surrounding temperature not exceeding 35 to 40°c etc)

For your tyres 27 kkm is decent mileage for Indian & varied driving conditions.

Now i am in real dilemma whether to go for higher cost tyres or lower cost as i am planning to replace the verna in one year. What you guys think?
How many kms you are likely to cover before you sell your car? You can choose treadwear rating accordingly.

You can go for low cost tyres such as Kenda
provided that you are not worried about the sidewall bulge or cut They hardly cost 4000 Rs per tyre.

Thanks vijay and Tornado for your reply.

Yes current tyres are same what you mentioned Tornado -Hankook V12 Evo. What i have understood is that they have hard rubber as compared to michelin. What i am looking for is budget tyres with good ride comfort and low noise. I am comfortable with both size 195 or 205.

Top Bottom