Inexpensive 'Mobile Holder' (Rs.101) Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys.

I had some balance in my Shopclues account (as CluesBucks) and ordered a mobile holder. It was listed for Rs. 101 and I ordered it straightaway without any second thought.

Later on, I read the product reviews and found that majority of them were negative or neutral. This thing made me more restless to get my hands on the product and check it out.

Screenshot_2015-12-13-14-46-38.png

Review

The package reached me after 5 days of placing order (shipping from seller was quick) but the product packaging was third-class. They had covered it in a piece of shiny orange polythene (which we get at local garment stores) and used a Cello tape to cover it (and attached the bill along with it somewhere). I unpacked the product and found the quality to be good at this price point. The plastic quality was average but the fit & finish was acceptable. So, first let me explain its working.

The holder has 2 parts, the upper mouth and lower suction part. The upper part is made up of 2 adjustable clips to hold the mobile phone. On the webpage, it is mentioned that the holder is universal but ensure that your mobile is within 75% of the maximum limit of the holder (width) as the quality is just about adequate and fixing a large phone might break the clips (or the spring). The inner contact areas of the clip have a red coating of anti-skid material, mentioned as silicon, which is useful and prevents the phone (especially, sleek metal body ones) from slipping. The other part, i.e. lower suction part, has the suction cup, a knob for creating vacuum inside the cup and a rotary top part for 360° adjustment of the upper area (i.e. direction of the clips). One has to stick the suction cup to the surface and press the knob (for vacuum) all the way down which would create a vacuum effect inside the suction cup and will help it to stick for longer intervals. The phone can be safely mounted in between the clips and the direction (and orientation) can be adjusted with the rotary part in any way you like.

One comment from various reviewers (users) on the product page was that it doesn't stick to the surface. I will clarify that it will NOT stick to any polished or textured surface. The surface has to be perfectly smooth (slightly curved is also accepted) and clean of any greasy compound (like polish, wax, etc.) for the suction cup to stick properly. For example, it doesn't stick on my Dzire's left-side area on dashboard because it is textured. It worked fine on center area (above center console) of the dashboard as it is smooth, though slightly curved. It didn't work on my windows because I have tints and the surface was very slippery. It worked perfectly on windshield of the 3 cars I tested it on (i.e. Swift, Dzire, Polo) and would work on all windshields.

The clips held my Galaxy S4 (69.8 mm width) and brother's A7 (76.20 mm width) nicely but a friend's Xperia T2 Ultra (83.8 mm width) was a tight fit. Using the clips isn't difficult as one of them has an extended plastic piece to help while opening/closing. The rotary adjustment is not smooth, but as promised it is 360° indeed. The suction (after pressing the knob for vacuum) is strong and it didn't fall off in a month of usage. This is commendable for a low-price product as the car is parked in the open for more than 6 hours every day. Actually it was still holding very well after a month and I had to remove it for clicking pictures for the review.

Another problem I faced was with the amount of vibrations transmitted to the holder. On bad roads, it was far from stable and did quite a dance. The vibrations were more pronounced with a heavier phone and became annoying after some time. This is the prime aspect in which other expensive holders from Capdase and other brands perform better. Though this problem cannot be overlooked so easily, I think it performs very well for the price. C'mon we don't even get a decent car perfume in 100 bucks nowadays! [lol]

Positives

+ Biggest plus-point is the price
+ Compact and innovative design
+ Decent fit and finish
+ Works fine on car windsheilds and most smooth surfaces

Negatives

- Lots of vibrations on undulated surfaces
- Plastic quality is average
- Holding phones more than 80 mm (width) is not possible due to product quality
- 360° rotation is not smooth

Purchase Link

http://m.shopclues.com/car-holder-universal-8.html

Product Description

Copy-paste from above link

Universal Car Holder Mobile Phones GPS Holder Stand Car Mount For Smart Phones

Mobile Phone MP3 Player GPS Holder Windshield Mount

Product Description:

The stylish clip and grip holder makes mounting and un-mounting your phone easy with the simple yet effective clip. The rubber grips are both cushioning and grip for holding your phone without damaging it and without it falling out. The Super Grip is the world’s best universal car mount; the unique stylish clip grip holder will securely hold your phone in your car windscreen. The holder is compatible with both naked phones and phones with cases, the holder stretches up to 5" so will fit the largest phones with the thickest cases such as the Otter box with ease.

Features:

Powerful suction, super pulling force, can mount on any surface such as windshield, dashboard,desk and so on.

Mounts all cellphones, MP4 and GPS devices up to 6-inch screens.

Flexible holder can rotate 360 degrees, freely adjust to any desired viewing angles.

Providing a stable viewing environment, good for watching movies or photos.

Red silicone mat, effectively reduce the friction.

Small size, portable and won't take up much space.

Easy to install and remove.

Designed for for All Smart Phones, iPhone, mobile phones, MP4, PSP, PDA ,All Types of Tab

With a 360° swivel head and tilt action, easily adjusts to your desired viewing angle.

Easy to install and remove.

Ideal for car/home/office use.

Material: Plastic

NOTE : - THE SURFACE ON THE DASHBOARD SHOULD BE PLAIN ,NOT CURVY OR RUFF SURFACE TYPE BECAUSE VACUUM CREATED INSIDE THE SUCTION CUP OF THE CAR PHONE HOLDER CANNOT HOLD THE GRIP ON THE CURVY SURFACE OF THE DASHBOARD.

Package Contains
1 x Universal Car Holder Mobile Phones GPS Holder Stand Car Mount For Smart Phones
Pictures

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

second part.png

Screenshot_2015-12-13-14-46-41.png

Screenshot_2015-12-13-14-45-58.png

PS.
1. Price on ShopClues is Rs. 148 currently. I got it through some deal for Rs. 101. Prices on other sites for the same product are around Rs. 115.

2. Hope my "first" product review on the forum was not that bad. If you have something to ask about this product, feel free to bring it in the form of your valuable replies!

bhvm

Honoured Member
I'm using something similar, but had Rotary type knob for making vacum stick and not lever type as yours. I place it only for highway trips and rest of the time it's in glove box. it's working surprisingly well since 3 years!!

and yes, your review is pretty good. keep up the good work!

I'm using the same holder and it works like a charm !! My note 2 sticks to it very well and no vibrations whatsoever !! I had fixed it on my right side(windshield) so that phone can be placed horizontally(my preference) above the AC vents.

PS: Bought it for 70bucks from Flipkart six months back[:D]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
I just ordered capadase holder for 950 rs
I would say first experiment with cheaper mobile holders and then move to Capdase ones. If you are okay with the negatives of this product, this is worth a try at 1/10th price. [:)]

I can say it is the most VFM thing I ever bought for the car.

I have used it in the past, in those days it was costing Rs 350, it served it's purpose for 1 year before breaking down . Only problem I faced was rattle on bad roads, which I solved by shoveling some paper pieces at the site of rattle(between the rubber vacuum cup & the plastic cup) http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...lly-clutch-issue-resolved-20131120_131638.jpg
Last week, I saw hawkers selling it to the cars stopped at signals in Pune camp.

Last edited:
The same I bought from Snapdeal for around 350 Rs.,may be an year back.The 360 degree rotation is a myth and when placed with a phone the rotation becomes more limited.

I had order this exact piece and price was also very good. I was happy i got for such a great bargain.

As you have rightly mentioned the vibrations are very very annoying. On smooth roads the phone vibrates and on the slightly rough road it literally dances. I have yet to see different angles in which this can be fit with a big phone attached to reduce the vibrations. Having said that I still doubt if i can reduce it. Both me and my wife have 5inch plus sized phones.

Thread Starter #10
The same I bought from Snapdeal for around 350 Rs.,may be an year back.The 360 degree rotation is a myth and when placed with a phone the rotation becomes more limited.
Actually the holder also needs to be re-fit accordingly to get to the exact position required. If you adjust only the mobile phone (clips part) with the holder fixed to the glass, then the rotation becomes a bit tricky. Try removing the suction cup from glass and then fit it according to your need.

...which I solved by shoveling some paper pieces at the site of rattle...
Did the vibrations reduce? Did you stuff paper pieces inside the plastic cup or at the edges of the rubber cup?

Did the vibrations reduce? Did you stuff paper pieces inside the plastic cup or at the edges of the rubber cup?
The vibration stops if you fix it on a corner of the glass i have fixed it on the right top corner, i have no problems of vibration

I feel it also depends on the weight of the phone i use a Iphone 5S without any case its super light when compared to most of the phones might be that could be a reason

There was slight vibration when i placed it on the center of the windshield earlier [roll]

By the way i bought 2 for 150 Rupees from a seller selling it in the signal

Last edited:
has anyone used similar kind of product for bikes. i am in the market looking for one. however a review would greatly help. as it is a phone and on a bike if it hits the tarmac while riding, the phone is as good as gone hence i have refrained from the idea, however i have seen some products which are exhorbitently priced at 1.8k- 3.5 k which have good reviews, but my question is, is it worth spending that much instead save some more and you can get a Chinese motion cam which can be attached on the handlebar. Suggestions would be more than helpful.

Thread Starter #13
has anyone used similar kind of product for bikes. i am in the market looking for one. however a review would greatly help. as it is a phone and on a bike if it hits the tarmac while riding, the phone is as good as gone hence i have refrained from the idea, however i have seen some products which are exhorbitently priced at 1.8k- 3.5 k which have good reviews, but my question is, is it worth spending that much instead save some more and you can get a Chinese motion cam which can be attached on the handlebar. Suggestions would be more than helpful.
You can look at the one which is fixed on steering wheel. It can be fixed on your handlebar (middle) but may need some alterations to make it hold the phone securely (over bumps). Member FordFiesta1.6 had ordered it some time back.

Link

I am using the exact model for quite some time now. Its a VFM money product IMO. The plastic quality is pretty decent I would say, it doesn't look like those regular cheap chinese stuff. In my case it doesn't even make noise when fixed on to the windshield. But I agree the rotating part is a little tricky.

I too brought the same thing from the hi-way signal seller for 100 Rupees, seems the same brand and materiel. looks good and do the duty well. Vibration is the only issue with this holder.

Top Bottom